Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

[Movies] The Hunger Games

They did the book justice, thank god.

The one thing I'm least impressed about is Haymitch. Just not quite how I imagined him (typical complaint for a book adaptation).
    The one thing I'm most impressed about is the salute. It works even better on screen than in the book.

So stoked that I'm going to start the second book in the series right now.

Yeah I agree about Haymitch, havent seen the movie yet, will tonight. Woody didnt fit what I had in my head at all and dorky as hell haircut lol. We will see about the rest.

It was a great movie easily 8/10 I didnt read the books, considering Picking them up at a book store in the near future.

15+ Year Old Account
    It was good, but Cloverfield had a more steady camera than this. I really wish they'd get another director, and make the series more darker.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    It was good, but Cloverfield had a more steady camera than this. I really wish they'd get another director, and make the series more darker.
    Their target audience is the Twilight Audience. They had to cut out a lot of the blood and so on to get the certificate they needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    It's not possible to make the series darker and keep with the style of the book. It's a teen/young adult book, not a story with an adult audience in mind. That's what ultimately made the story feel mediocre as hell to me. Jennifer Lawrence is a great actress, so she made the movie a little bit better than the book.

I read the book last week. I thought the movie was pretty bad. The book was fantastic and there was almost no character development in the movie. Cinna had maybe 7 minutes of onscreen time and he was clearly the closest ally Katniss had in the novel. They put 2 scenes in the movie that were not in the book and 2 scenes/implications that are in the second book. Which irritated me. I thought Woody Harrelson was fine as Haymitch, but again, no character development, we know hardly anything about him on screen. I feel like if you didn't read the book, you would be lost as hell in this movie.

Everything seemed rushed, and by that I mean they didnt let the scenes play out at all, they had the key moments from the book and hurried on to the next thing. If you read the book you know the relationship that develops in the arena between Katniss and Rue is heartwarming and very deep, in the movie she meets her and they become allies without explanation (this is literally 25-40 pages of the book they just left out) and then when Rue dies in the movie Katniss is hysterical (as she should be in the book) but anybody watching the movie would be wondering why the fuck she gives a shit when they hardly had any relationship at all.

Also Peeta was TERRIBLY cast. Josh Hutcherson is in the worst movies and he's a terrible actor. He is NOTHING like Peeta in the books, he's shorter than Jennifer Lawrence for christs sake. He's supposed to be strong and stalky and super good with words, he was shitty in the movie.

I do think Effie Trinket turned out exactly how you would imagine her from the book, Jennifer Lawrence played Katniss well, and Donald Sutherland landed President Snow exactly how I pictured him being. I liked very little and thought it came up very short in so many ways. Very disappointing.

I think I am really being harsh because the book is FRESH in my mind and it was such a good read, I dont even like reading and I couldnt put it down, it is a very engaging and original story. the movie just seemed like a bunch of mush, they left out too many key things and the character development is what was the biggest let down.

Worth it to see it anyways I would say.

Im not really into the overhyped teenage movies like Harry Potter and Twilight, they always end up being mediocre in when I see or read them, so im not to interested in Hunger Games.

Speaking of books with the word Game in it, why is there a Hungers Game movie but not an Ender's Game movie?

Ender's Game is absolutely phenomenal book and blows Hunger Games out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Im not really into the overhyped teenage movies like Harry Potter and Twilight, they always end up being mediocre in when I see or read them, so im not to interested in Hunger Games.

Speaking of books with the word Game in it, why is there a Hungers Game movie but not an Ender's Game movie?

Ender's Game is absolutely phenomenal book and blows Hunger Games out of the water.
    I would DIE for an Ender's game movie.. god that book was good.

Also, nearly every other scene in the hunger games made me cringe. Everything felt so cliche and cheesy, especially the romantic scenes and the ending (romeo + juliet much?). I also lost complete faith when they said there would be 2 winners because I knew they would change it back to 1 in the end.

The movie was far to predictable and nothing like I expected it to be. Half the contenders were killed off within five minutes of entering the forest. Heck, the entire first half of the movie was drama and a beauty pageant. I much prefer movies like Battle Royale or even the Condemned over this. This is literally the first movie, I've seen in a long time where I wish I could get back my 2 hours. It's sad to see that this movie will most likely get a sequel but John Carter won't because of bad marketing, yet I loved the story / ending for that movie.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zaneosak View Post
    I read the book last week. I thought the movie was pretty bad. The book was fantastic and there was almost no character development in the movie. Cinna had maybe 7 minutes of onscreen time and he was clearly the closest ally Katniss had in the novel. They put 2 scenes in the movie that were not in the book and 2 scenes/implications that are in the second book. Which irritated me. I thought Woody Harrelson was fine as Haymitch, but again, no character development, we know hardly anything about him on screen. I feel like if you didn't read the book, you would be lost as hell in this movie.

Everything seemed rushed, and by that I mean they didnt let the scenes play out at all, they had the key moments from the book and hurried on to the next thing. If you read the book you know the relationship that develops in the arena between Katniss and Rue is heartwarming and very deep, in the movie she meets her and they become allies without explanation (this is literally 25-40 pages of the book they just left out) and then when Rue dies in the movie Katniss is hysterical (as she should be in the book) but anybody watching the movie would be wondering why the fuck she gives a shit when they hardly had any relationship at all.
    To be fair the movie already went for 2 hours and 30 minutes, they really couldn't have put everything in there and whilst I really do feel they rushed through everything I can't blame them, but personally I wouldn't mind a 4-5 hour version (my butt would be so numb and after wathing that though )

So what you're saying is that Ender's Game is better than a book that you haven't read? Ok, I didn't know you had the power of foresight.

I also felt that they focused too much on a "love triangle" even though from my interpretation of the book, it never existed and there was not that much romance in the book anyways. And would've preferred if it was MA rated I wanted to see the blood splatter in her face

10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched the movie today, it was fucking amazing in my opinion, defiantly one of my favorite movies.

Just watched the movie and must say I'm disappointed. When I walked into the movie I saw 50 teenage girls in there already. I thought I was in the wrong movie or something.

Anyways it was way to lovey and twilighty lol. The whole idea around the series of The Hunger Games is really amazing. To the people who say these books are catered to the teenage girls I would disagree. In the books there isn't that twilight crap feel. Also it gets very political in the 2nd and third books. I bet most teenage girls who read the books don't fully grasp the idea.

What I think would of been way better than a movie is if HBO picked it up for a 10 episode Mini Series (like game of thrones). That's 10 hours for the first book which could of done the books way more justice. In the movie there was 0 character development and a lot of characters just left out. Also really get to the point of how brutal the districts are and how corrupt the hunger games really are.

This movie has got to be one of the worst I've seen. Granted I don't go hunting for awfull movies, but this one was just bland and drawn out.
    I'd rather take 30 lashes than watch this again. Even the girls found it to be shite.
    The last 40mins of the movie all 500 persons in the theater where begging for it to end. And when the credits finally rolled you could hear every let out a sigh of relief.
    Tween piece of shit. 20$ to be sodomised for 2hours+
    Last edited by Chronius; 2012-03-24 at 11:38 PM.

There's a painfully obvious and unfair bias against young adult books here :/

I don't particularly hate Twilight (I couldn't, I haven't bothered reading it or watching the movies), but I do hate the young adult culture and stereotypes it's created, the obsession with the paranormal, the overall degradation of the genre, and many, many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammypower View Post
    Anyways it was way to lovey and twilighty lol. The whole idea around the series of The Hunger Games is really amazing. To the people who say these books are catered to the teenage girls I would disagree. In the books there isn't that twilight crap feel. Also it gets very political in the 2nd and third books. I bet most teenage girls who read the books don't fully grasp the idea.
    Perhaps the other books are different, but I found the first one to be incredibly "teen-friendly". Heroic teen figure(s), watered-down violence and completely one-dimensional characters. It was really a shame, because the concept is fucking fantastic. I actually liked the movie a little bit more, but I'm also a fan of Jennifer Lawrence because of her impressive performance in Winter's Bone.

While I can't speak of The Hunger Games movie, the book is absolutely nothing like either Twilight or Harry Potter. Sadly, the advertising for the movie really makes it look similar (I wonder what crowd the producers are trying to bring in?).

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Perhaps the other books are different, but I found the first one to be incredibly "teen-friendly". Heroic teen figure(s), watered-down violence and completely one-dimensional characters. It was really a shame, because the concept is fucking fantastic. I actually liked the movie a little bit more, but I'm also a fan of Jennifer Lawrence because of her impressive performance in Winter's Bone.
    The third book is probably the most mature, and I wouldn't call it 'teen-friendly'. Much of the book deals with morality and compromise, and there's a fair amount of politics. Major characters die in very gruesome ways, and often without much warning.

Deleted
    If you liked Hunger Games but thought it was too teen friendly [I did a little but it was still an awesome film], try Battle Royale. Japanese sci-fi with almost the exact same story as hunger games. The match is intense, visceral and bloody bloody. I actually preferred the film to the book for BR, actually because they cut out some stuff which just seemed to be thrown in there for shock value and made it look cheap.

It was a pretty good movie, but I liked the book a lot better. I think that's pretty much always the case though, since you can't get nearly as much character development in a movie as you can in a book. For example, Gale really wasn't even a major person in the movie. You don't learn anything about him, or anything about his relationship with Katniss. A friend of mine who saw the movie but never read the book completely forgot about him after a certain point and at the end of the movie she was like, "who is that, again?" It stayed pretty true to the book for the most part, and I liked it, but it's just not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronius View Post
    This movie has got to be one of the worst I've seen. Granted I don't go hunting for awfull movies, but this one was just bland and drawn out.
    I'd rather take 30 lashes than watch this again. Even the girls found it to be shite.
    The last 40mins of the movie all 500 persons in the theater where begging for it to end. And when the credits finally rolled you could hear every let out a sigh of relief.
    Tween piece of shit. 20$ to be sodomised for 2hours+
    This is clearly a great example of an unbiased, accurate and mature film review.
    Stulti se laudant.
    Minecraft Survival Server: 203.206.166.219:25565
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fpiceail

Deleted
    Great movie, greater book.

I enjoyed the book more but the movie did its justice the best it could, given the movie lasted 2h and 30min.
    I pictured all of them very differently, specially Haymitch and Gale. Few things that bothered me and should have been shown that I missed was the harshness of nature and how the food was always on short. The other thing was the total time they spent on the arena, in the book it gave me feeling that they would have been there for like 2 and ½ - 3 weeks while on the movie it lasted only for like a week.