check signal cable (swtor)

Hi i just have a question that i hope some of you guys could help me with, i have installed SWTOR and downloaded all patches and etc then i type in my username/password and click PLAY, but then my screen goes black and a message pops pup: CHECK SIGNAL CABLE

Anyone know what i have to do here?

Would be much appreciated=)

Thx

more than likely your graphics card is overheating. i would look into either upgrading to a better card, or if you want to go the cheap route get an adjustable fan that screws into one of your expansion slots, and point it at the card. like..

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=ODAmMTU=

or

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=ODQmMTU=

---------- Post added 2011-12-24 at 11:15 PM ----------

also.. since it's christmas, and you likely won't be able to find any computer shop open until monday. you can do a quick fix by taking the side panel off the case, and putting a small plug in fan next to it. should keep it cool enough to play until you can get a more permanent fix. tho i wouldn't suggest doing that for too long as you'll just be pelting your motherboard with dust and debris causing further overheating if left that way.

hmm, do SWTOR got better graphics than WoW, and why could i play the beta perfectly on SWTOR beta then?

Deleted
    Smells like a graphic driver issue. What graphics card do you have? and what version of the drivers (when did you last update?)

Quote Originally Posted by steffen1990 View Post
    hmm, do SWTOR got better graphics than WoW, and why could i play the beta perfectly on SWTOR beta then?
    From the pictures, i can be sure that TOR's graphics are better than WoW's, but unless they upgraded to graphics from beta to live you should be able to run live if could run beta.

You could always download afterburner, log your GPU temps, and post here to see if what slim said is right.

on the lowest settings yes tor has better graphics than WoW. however the common culprit with what you are describing is that the card is overheating. it could be the cooling fan on your card died. you won't get the black screen "check signal cable" during regular use, but as soon as you load up any gfx intensive program the card will automatically shut down causing your monitor to all of a sudden not have any signal coming to it.

I've run BF3 on almost max settings though, anyway I've got an GTX 260 and yes downloaded the latest drivers

I've run BF3 on almost max settings though, anyway I've got an GTX 260 and yes downloaded the latest drivers
    all i can tell you is that from personal technical experience when you lose signal to your monitor it almost always is an issue with the card overheating. without physically being there to test your system i can't do anything else other than answer your question. you'll have to download afterburner like geniusdude suggested, or speed fan to monitor the temp. replying with "but i played BF3" isn't going to fix the problem.

I haven't actually played TOR, so my answers might just be guesses, but maybe you have something in your settings set that causes the game to display to a non-existent monitor. Not familiar with the interface, but if this is the case this could be solved in a couple of ways. If you are allowed to access a settings gui before entering the game, you should look around at the settings and see if any of them might have to do with your problem. If not, and TOR stores its settings in some kind of text file, you can probably just ask tech-support for the game, and they will probably instruct you to change something there.
    Before any of this, you should probably just double check your monitor cables, auto adjust if you monitor does that, or hit the input button a few times to make sure it is a problem with the game.
    Last edited by Geniusdude; 2011-12-24 at 11:57 PM.

might i also ask. what is the wattage on your power supply?

15+ Year Old Account
    Could also be that the settings on SWTOR has a resolution that is to big for your screen, that way the screen has nothing to show. I also don't believe its the card overheating since then the computer would shut down completely and OP would have mentioned that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Could also be that the settings on SWTOR has a resolution that is to big for your screen, that way the screen has nothing to show. I also don't believe its the card overheating since then the computer would shut down completely and OP would have mentioned that.
    I thought this might be the case also, but didn't know that a pc will shut down if the gpu overheats.
    I have see a pc shut down due to an overheated processor, however. (Dust buildup/unknowingly pulling out the cpu fan cord)

The default settings on TOR are odd, mine was set at a refresh rate of 100hz which my monitor couldn't handle so I had to change the default settings to windowed mode to change the refresh rate back down to 60. It sounds like something similar is happening to you, I wouldn't think it could instantly overheat the card by pressing play.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    whatever you want to believe man. I do this for a living. a video card can, and will shut down if it's overheating without causing the machine itself to shut down also. i've seen and fixed it on more than a handful of occasions. what you are thinking of is if the CPU overheats it will automatically restart the system.

if the graphics card overheats it will shutdown, but the rest of the system will keep running like normal leaving you with a "check signal cable" box on your monitor.

---------- Post added 2011-12-25 at 12:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    The default settings on TOR are odd, mine was set at a refresh rate of 100hz which my monitor couldn't handle so I had to change the default settings to windowed mode to change the refresh rate back down to 60. It sounds like something similar is happening to you, I wouldn't think it could instantly overheat the card by pressing play.
    you'd be surprised.

Sound to me like the graphics output is running at a vertical refresh frequency that your monitor doesn't support.

Do you have the correct monitor selected in Windows?

Deleted
    Sounds like you are trying to start the game using a resolution your display is not capable of.

im using an samsung sync master 2233, and how can i change the resolution, is the resolution ingame or resolution setting on right clicking on desktop?

---------- Post added 2011-12-25 at 11:47 PM ----------

ok i restarted my hole ystem now (recovery) to check that was the prob but no, then WoW wouldn't even start before i got the black screen again, but then i tried something, i figured that i had an old screen stored somewhere so i found that and plugged it in and then WoW ruined smoothly again, haven't tested SWTOR yet cuz it isn't inn staled yet, but could that be the problem, that the screen caused the problems??

srry for my bad english

Thx

I have the same monitor and same problem. I play wow at near highest graphics settings with absolutely no issues. any idea?