Thread: Greetings.

Greetings.

Hi I haven't played WoW since the opening of Ulduar. After doing some reading and snooping around I sort of feel as though the hunter experience dropped? There seems to be frustration of what the hunter is now. Maybe I read incorrectly? I honestly cannot remember me having a huge issue with my hunter in WotLK but maybe its been too long for me to recollect my memory.

I just received cataclysm and waiting for a few merging issues to be settled with Blizz support. But what can I really expect? Has our gameplay drastically changed? is the move from mana to focus a huge one? will i adapt quickly or be lost in translation. How do you fellow hunters feel about the game today? is there anything else I just be ready for? I think whether or not the hunter is what I remember I'm still going to keep sticking with mine and work it out ( really attached since my main is a hunter, many great memories).

Appreciate the read, and please be light on the flaming/trolling.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hunters have huge scaling issues. In top guilds, hunters are pretty much the worst dps choice you can get as things are right now. If you play at a more average level, you'll do well.

Yes, hunters in Cataclysm are very different from before, but it's an easy class to learn. All 3 specs are very close to each other, but most hunters have changed to survival in 4.3 (most likely because it's smoother and easier to play than MM, while probably giving slightly higher numbers).

While Hunters are lackluster in both PvP and PvE in all specs the focus mechanic is undoubtedly fun so I suspect you will enjoy it quite a bit.

Deleted
    I feel sorry for you, you get to play ulduar

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I can remember of Ulduar days, I don't think we have changed THAT much. Ignoring focus I mean. But for me, I still love playing hunter. The playstyle is still incredibly fun for me and my love for the class and will to prove skill>scaling puts me regularly at 2nd place under our rogue in current content.
    As for pvp, I can't remember hunters being good in arena, but it doesn't stop me.

Quote Originally Posted by agnahc1 View Post
    Hi I haven't played WoW since the opening of Ulduar. After doing some reading and snooping around I sort of feel as though the hunter experience dropped? There seems to be frustration of what the hunter is now. Maybe I read incorrectly? I honestly cannot remember me having a huge issue with my hunter in WotLK but maybe its been too long for me to recollect my memory.

I just received cataclysm and waiting for a few merging issues to be settled with Blizz support. But what can I really expect? Has our gameplay drastically changed? is the move from mana to focus a huge one? will i adapt quickly or be lost in translation. How do you fellow hunters feel about the game today? is there anything else I just be ready for? I think whether or not the hunter is what I remember I'm still going to keep sticking with mine and work it out ( really attached since my main is a hunter, many great memories).

Appreciate the read, and please be light on the flaming/trolling.
    You will probably like focus even tough it limits or burst. Overall in my opinion focus was a good change

However you will find yourself at the bottom of the food chain in pvp (as usual)
    and if you plan on high end raiding (talking dragon soul hc modes) then you are better off with another class or you will probably be benched in any serious guild. If you will top meters in yours then you can safely assume that you play with baddies or you severly outgear them.

So in the end, if you plan to pvp, dont bother. If you plan to pve in normal modes you are pretty ok, if you intend to progress in hc modes then dont pick hunter or only thing you will get to experience is to how to keep the bench warm...

I plan to go as far as I can and hearing the fact that we are left for dead at the highest point of the game really saddens me... I mean to me back in the day I felt as though hunters were always needed to be in a raid group for great dps. What has happened and how can that be fixed? Can we see this being fixed soon?

Quote Originally Posted by agnahc1 View Post
    I plan to go as far as I can and hearing the fact that we are left for dead at the highest point of the game really saddens me... I mean to me back in the day I felt as though hunters were always needed to be in a raid group for great dps. What has happened and how can that be fixed? Can we see this being fixed soon?
    Mediocre damage because of horrid scaling that was never addressed (acknowledged but not dealt with), easily replaceable utility, no major raid cooldowns and hunters are the most fragile class in the game.

There are many ways of fixing the problem. The bigger question is whether Blizzard cares enough to fix hunters. I can see them throwing hunters a bone with a damage boost, but I doubt they'll do anything to fix the incoming damage problem. Personally I think dealing with the incoming damage is just as much of a problem as the low potential outgoing.
    -- 14 hunters at 85 -- 15th is at 83

I need a new hobby.

10+ Year Old Account
    The change to focus does take some getting used to but it is not much different than when we used mana.

at times i still miss having mana, but focus really isnt that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    Hunters have huge scaling issues. In top guilds, hunters are pretty much the worst dps choice you can get as things are right now. If you play at a more average level, you'll do well.

Yes, hunters in Cataclysm are very different from before, but it's an easy class to learn. All 3 specs are very close to each other, but most hunters have changed to survival in 4.3 (most likely because it's smoother and easier to play than MM, while probably giving slightly higher numbers).
    world first madness kill had a hunter ending at 96k dps 4th on charts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    Whats your point? a fight that involves aoe, target switching and god knows what changes in heroic. One hunter finishes 4th and thats supposed to mean we are fine?

No doubt Hunters have problems, but it's not as horrible as some people make it out. The class is fun (in my opinion) to play, and if it's your thing that's what matters. I highly doubt the OP is gonna be competing for realm firsts or hardcore progression, so he doesn't really need to worry about that. Blizz is taking the "Mists will fix it" approach to Hunter scaling and damage reduction, it would seem.

Though it would be nice to get thrown a bone in some band-aid buff, but eh.
    My style is rich, dope, phat; in which we'll bake a cake today that looks rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    5th place at 86k. Their elemental shaman was at 96k, though.
    Hunters do well on madness because we have so much stuff that can proc Spellweave, and it looks like heroic Madness has even more AoE.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    5th place at 86k. Their elemental shaman was at 96k, though.
    Hunters do well on madness because we have so much stuff that can proc Spellweave, and it looks like heroic Madness has even more AoE.
    Witch basicly means hunter will not be sat on MoDW, but due to them being sat on any previous boss more or less they will most likely not have gear enough for it (while progressing, after they have finished the tier everything will most likely be "fine")

The gameplay has not changed that much, so you should be able to pick up playing a hunter quite quickly. Agi is still our best stat so stack as much of it as you can (after reaching hit cap of course).