Companions, affection and gathering.

Hey.

I just got my second companion as IA dropped on me (completely by suprise), the Droid. I wonder if i will have to keep him with me and build affection with him before i can use him to gather mats for me? At the moment i use Kaliyo to gather but would like two sources of income - do i need to build affection first? Will i need to do so with every new companion? And does he need as much affection as Kaliyo to perform to the same standard (considering i've had her alot longer)?

Thanks

Also, am i the only one who feels that the affection system is a good idea, but done badly? I like it, but when i make a dialogue deciscion Kaliyo likes, i get 15 affection. When i do one she doesn't like... i lose 1? That seems a bit stupid to be honest. And i get 96 affection with her for 200 credits each just by buying low rank companion gifts... seems a little silly that its so easy to get and so hard to lose.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Affection affects how fast they perform crafting and how good the results are (extra procs, more mats gathered etc).

Those 200 creds gifts will eventually stop working at a certain affection level, and as you raise their affection you'll need more rare & expensive gifts to raise their affection.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

What gifts to droids like? O_o
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

You can't raise your ship droid's affection unfortunately.

It's best to spam the 200c gifts until atleast 2000 affection as soon as you get each new companion. The gifts have a use by date, quest affection does not.

It's impossible to raise my Droids affection?

Does that mean he will do gathering missions at full effectiveness, or?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, because a droid has feelings Come on people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    It's impossible to raise my Droids affection?

Does that mean he will do gathering missions at full effectiveness, or?
    Has a list been made of the best items for each grade to give to specific companions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxs101 View Post
    Yeah, because a droid has feelings Come on people.
    I can think if about 324354352 times where C-3PO's feelings were hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Has a list been made of the best items for each grade to give to specific companions?
    http://www.oldrepublic.net/261-swtor...your-love.html
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Can anyone answer the important question - will my affectionless Droid be as effective as Kaliyo in gathering mats for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Can anyone answer the important question - will my affectionless Droid be as effective as Kaliyo in gathering mats for me?
    No. Your droid is always the last choice for crafting.