Deleted

Re-formatting help.

Hello.

I'm in need of help when it comes to formatting my PC. Long story short I need to completely wipe my PC and start again.Is this possible via formatting with my Windows 7 install disc? The last time I reformatted I recall it wasn't entirely cleaned.I think this is because I didn't delete the 'partition' that was left over? Perhaps shadow copies rings a bell? I'm grasping at things I have seen in passing, lol. Not a clue, admittedly.

Any help on how to restore my PC as if it was newly built?

Thank you very much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baaltheron View Post
    Hello.

I'm in need of help when it comes to formatting my PC. Long story short I need to completely wipe my PC and start again.Is this possible via formatting with my Windows 7 install disc? The last time I reformatted I recall it wasn't entirely cleaned.I think this is because I didn't delete the 'partition' that was left over? Perhaps shadow copies rings a bell? I'm grasping at things I have seen in passing, lol. Not a clue, admittedly.

Any help on how to restore my PC as if it was newly built?

Thank you very much.
    When you reformat your computer, it will store the old data in a "Window's Old" file. Rebooting from the Windows 7 disk does work. I do it all the time. Deleting the Window's Old file will completely remove all the data you had prior to the reformat.

http://www.dban.org/

I use this whenever I reformat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallinsinner View Post
    When you reformat your computer, it will store the old data in a "Window's Old" file. Rebooting from the Windows 7 disk does work. I do it all the time. Deleting the Window's Old file will completely remove all the data you had prior to the reformat.
    Thanks. Could you tell me where said file is located?

Deleted
    Wait what ? Where is this Windows old file located ?
    I have done formats of many many PC's using just about every MS Windows based OS and never ever came across a windows old file.

When you format a machine it wipes everything on the partition. you can during the installation of windows choose to completely wipe the drive your installing on of all partitions. Depending on the manufacture of the PC in question the hidden partition may actually contain a way to reload your machine back to factory fresh.

http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-7/5...-tutorial.html

is a nice step by step guide for you to read if you want to take a look at how to install windows on your own and ensure you have a completely clean machine. I would advise that you have your Firewall, AV, and drivers saved on a USB stick ready to install the moment you have re installed windows.

You should just be able to insert the disc, choose new install, delete/format all partitions (create new if desired) and wala, newish hard drive with just yoru windows installed. I would definitely save all yoru drivers, at least, on a seperate disc or usb drive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    Wait what ? Where is this Windows old file located ?
    I have done formats of many many PC's using just about every MS Windows based OS and never ever came across a windows old file.
    Its present if you install a Windows operating system on a partition with an already existing Windows OS without formating, as your observation also indicates.

Deleted
    That's not what people tend to call a reformat, that's a reinstall.
    Formatting means wiping ALL data off your HDD and wiping all partitions off it.
    It can easily be done with.. any windows installation disc (Starting from XP at least to my knowledge) in both NTFS and FAT32.

Deleted
    The "Windows Old" file is located somewhere in the "Users" section, I believe. It's essentially an enormous folder that holds the majority of your HD. Delete that and you should find you have a lot more space.

Again, if your performing a reformat of your hard drive properly, you won't have the windows old file. What's most likely happening is that when your installing windows, your either not deleting the partitions or formating them before you actually install windows thus, your just adding a bunch of newer windows files over your older windoes files. this is the only reason you should have that windows old file. but again, delete/format partitions will erase everything on your hard drive, only then should you perform the fresh install.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladria View Post
    Again, if your performing a reformat of your hard drive properly, you won't have the windows old file. What's most likely happening is that when your installing windows, your either not deleting the partitions or formating them before you actually install windows thus, your just adding a bunch of newer windows files over your older windoes files. this is the only reason you should have that windows old file. but again, delete/format partitions will erase everything on your hard drive, only then should you perform the fresh install.
    The point of this thread is on how to delete said partitions...I still don't know the answer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baaltheron View Post
    The point of this thread is on how to delete said partitions...I still don't know the answer.
    You are presented with this screen during setup. Here you select "Drive Options (Advanced)".

With that done, you then select the existing Windows partition and choose to delete it. Then also take the System Reserved partition. If you have more than one hard drive, you obviously don't delete those. It can make things easier to disconnect them from the computer before starting setup.

Once the partitions is gone, you are left with an "Unallocated Space" area. Select it, and then press next. This will create the necessary partitions for Windows to work.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-12-29 at 08:54 AM.

The pictures above show exactly what to do however, after you delete the partitions, make sure you format them as well (the format button is next to the delete button).
    NZXT Phantom
    ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 | I5 2500k | EVGA GTX 560 TI
    8gb Corsair Vengence | 60gb Agility3 SSD | 1tb Seagate 7200rpm

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladria View Post
    after you delete the partitions, make sure you format them as well (the format button is next to the delete button).
    Unnecessary. Format simply creates a new partition in the same space. Deleting them and pressing next will create new partitions automatically based on the available free space. The Format option is in fact not even available after the partitions have been deleted.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-12-29 at 10:15 AM.