Thread: The Pyro-Pull

Deleted

The Pyro-Pull

Whats more important:

1. Pyro hits the Boss before the Tank has aggro

2. waiting till Tank has aggro (through self-pull/missdirect) so the tank can position the Boss properly (in regards of Bossfights where positioning is crucial).

Thanks
    Last edited by mmoc437f6faa3d; 2012-01-04 at 07:05 PM.

Deleted
    definitely 1. Pyro hits the Boss before the Tank has aggro

Quote Originally Posted by Moora View Post
    1. Pyro hits the Boss before the Tank has aggro
    tank can then taunt for a quick burst of threat. no problem unless the tank is terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfnGtmrsOD4

2:50ish if you're impatient

classic
    Last edited by spandex; 2012-01-04 at 07:49 PM.

...as long as the tank knows it's coming, and doesn't have to taunt for some other reason (the latter is generally only a consideration when there's more than one enemy and more than one tank).

Deleted
    Its about positioning the mob/boss, which only works if one has aggro.

Or: Whats lost if the Pyro comes... to be on the SAFE side... 2 Seconds later.

Quote Originally Posted by Moora View Post
    Its about positioning the mob/boss, which only works if one has aggro.

Or: Whats lost if the Pyro comes... to be on the SAFE side... 2 Seconds later.
    2 seconds the mage could be casting, I play a blood DK, I just don't see the problem with ranged precast big nukes, it's a free threat lead when you taunt it off the mage.

Quote Originally Posted by WraithZach View Post
    tank can then taunt for a quick burst of threat. no problem unless the tank is terrible.
    Tank is sick of annoying DPS and doesn't bother, teaching terrible DPS that they do less damage when they are dead then they do alive. Not a problem unless the DPS are braindead.

(just pointing out that other people may have a different opinion, when tanking I don't tend to mind DPS doing this)
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imoh View Post
    2 seconds the mage could be casting, I play a blood DK, I just don't see the problem with ranged precast big nukes, it's a free threat lead when you taunt it off the mage.
    Because 2 seconds is SO long. Right?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

It really depends, for example if you pyro Zonozz before I hit him, I will want to slap you, because it makes the orb annoying. If you pyro ultraxion before I hit him, and you get 1 shot, (prolly not cauterize lol), I will similarly want to slap you.

If you pyro Yor'sahj or Morchok or Hagara. Mmmk, I really don't care, I'll just taunt and it won't matter.

See where I'm going with this?

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Nope, but nor is taunting all that hard, I just don't see the issue.

I realise some tanks are control freaks though, and that's fine, their raid can adapt to their play style easily, as you say, it's only 2 seconds, to me it's just not a big deal unless there is very specific positioning needed right from the pull and Zon'ozz is the only boss in DS with that problem.

Deleted
    I was always pre-casting AB/Pyro and never had troubles with aggro, not even before tank buff. But then again I had worlds best tank.

and hpala with salvation..... and hunter with missdirect always on their toes

10+ Year Old Account
    I try to hit with my pyro before the Tank has swung once.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

As a Mage and a blood dk I always let the Mage pyro pull in 5 mans.

The thing is on a short fight the Mage might not get a good pyroblast! so he won't get a good combustion. If that first combustion Frits, he has a decent enough ignite to combust right then and do better DPS.

Not to mention, yes it's a big 2.5 sec cast it only makes the boss easier to let him do it.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Depends what you're talking about. 5 mans? Sure. Normals? Sure. Heroic ultraxion 25/baleroc? You just wiped because your casters were doing nothing for the first 2 seconds of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Imoh View Post
    Yes, but DKs have death grip which is a taunt, closer, and positioning tool in one.
    Other classes have to use several GCDs to do the taunt and closer, then work on positioning. For example, warriors/druids have to taunt, then charge (or vice versa).
    That's two GCDs. Add that to the initial "wtf" reaction time and the ranged dps is well into popping their cooldowns while the tank has no/low vengeance and dots (rends, bleeds, etc) on the boss, so they aren't doing much damage. So, the dps will likely pull off again, causing the tank to have to blow another taunt or cooldown to keep the mob on them. Or even worse, if the tank is a paladin and has no charge/deathgrip mechanic to close the gap and only ranged attacks to maintain agro which definitely means they have no vengeance. (At least usually when it happens, ranged dps have poor positioning when they do this and drag the boss either away from the tank or into the tank's dead zones/kill line of sight).

I can see this as being good if you're tightly coordinated with the tank and you both know what you're doing. In a random PUG, it sounds like the recipe for someone's death or at least a rougher battle than it should be. Inflating dps isn't worth a wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    Depends what you're talking about. 5 mans? Sure. Normals? Sure. Heroic ultraxion 25/baleroc? You just wiped because your casters were doing nothing for the first 2 seconds of the fight.
    I don't think you can pre-cast on Ultraxion, but the point is clear
    BigCrits.com - real people conquering a virtual world!

Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    I don't think you can pre-cast on Ultraxion, but the point is clear
    Ultraxion doesn't agro until you attack him.

you actually have an issue with this? with a proper countdown there should be no problem

Y not just mirror image after hard cast pyro?