Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Having 4 set = Disc?

Hey dudes

So yeah quick question. Manage to get myself 4 set and was wondering dude to the 4 set buff, should I respec disc? Ive seen a lot of priests playing disc when they got the 4 set, should I do the same? Is it a lot better than Holy?

Deleted
    Speaking from personal experience: Only do it if you know how.

I'm one of those types of players that excel at two specs and is absolutely CRAP at the third. I'm shadow and holy. I've tried Disc. I just can't make it work for me. But if you can and you think you benefit more by doing so, go for it. I personally can not.

Deleted
    THE 4 set is horrible rng.

If you were to go disc with it, you could also without.

from a pure numbers standpoint, holy's 4 set bonus is better than disc's. This alone shouldn't really be a reason to choose one or the other, it won't make a big enough difference on its own.

Holy's 4 set should give you a solid 4% or so HPS boost in 25man (maybe slightly less in 10man). Disc's is just strange, and hard to put that kind of a number on. Disc 4set also doesn't gain/lose value depending on whether you're in a 25man raid or a 10man raid.
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-12-29 at 03:51 PM.

Cheers guys, appreciate the info. Ive tried Disc once before I got the set and it was a nightmare. Think ill just stick with holy instead.

Deleted
    Nobody goes disc because of the 4set. The RNG with double shields is horrible for casting multiple shields, and a proc chance of 10% means that even if you only do a lonely rapture shield once in a while you'll only get like 2 procs (assuming 6 min fight with rapture shield every 15 seconds). I'm passing tier tokens to everyone else because their 4set is much more usefull

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Nobody goes disc because of the 4set. The RNG with double shields is horrible for casting multiple shields, and a proc chance of 10% means that even if you only do a lonely rapture shield once in a while you'll only get like 2 procs (assuming 6 min fight with rapture shield every 15 seconds). I'm passing tier tokens to everyone else because their 4set is much more usefull
    2 after 6 minutes I don't think so, its 10% chance per cast not for a whole fight so if it doesn't have an internal cooldown then you could actually cast a few in a row, Actually on that note does anyone know if the 4pc has an internal cooldown and what it is?

On the WoW forums, a poster over there did a bit of testing with the 4 set for Disc. It doesn't appear to be as bad as you may think: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...3950?page=2#34
    Ashleycakez ||<Barracuda> || Twitter || H2P Mod
    <Barracuda> is recruiting! Mythic raiding! Mature environment!
    T17: 16/17M | T18: 13/13M

Deleted
    This is honestly the first time I've saw any mention of the four-set being a deal breaker for choosing which spec to play. Perhaps I've not been paying enough attention. While the four-set is of benefit to both specs, neither is *that* good as to make one spec trump the other purely from that standpoint. The "best" spec to play is purely dependant on your own personal playstyle/knowledge of each spec, raids setup, or, really (unless you're competeively pushing for firsts, or your guild is struggling only because of you/your spec(which I atleast personally have never experienced)) which you enjoy the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleycakez View Post
    On the WoW forums, a poster over there did a bit of testing with the 4 set for Disc. It doesn't appear to be as bad as you may think: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...3950?page=2#34
    This is actually an interesting take, and kind of doesn't make me feel bad about considering tier pieces (instead of mostly offset) for Discipline.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    the 4pc bonus is kinda neat.. and probably handy if you're a bubble spammer as obviously.. 10% of 500 is more than 10% of 50.. but I wouldn't deprive someone else of a tier piece over it.. I certainly would have a hard time having 4pc 384's over 2pc 384's and 2 more 397's to take its place..

I guess you could just look at it as a 10% crit chance on your PWS.. it's neat.. but you can't count on it..

the 2pc look pretty much awesome though.. I don't see any reason to pass that up
    Last edited by ishootblanks; 2011-12-29 at 10:45 PM.
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    This is actually an interesting take, and kind of doesn't make me feel bad about considering tier pieces (instead of mostly offset) for Discipline.
    I play Holy MS so by default I kinda sorta need 4 set. Not in the "NEED" sense but in the "there are no other properly itemized drops" sense. And well, the bonus is pretty nice for Holy and I'm looking forward to having it. So I will have the 4 set for Disc as well.

I do think some people are undervaluing it for Disc and that post there helped me see how nice it can be. Of the fights where I absolutely have to play as Disc, so far H Zon'ozz has required me to bubble spam the raid. I was wishing I had that 4 set for some extra absorbs x_x

Now for something like H Ultraxion where you are probably spamming PoH as a Disc Priest with the occasional PW: Shield woven in, the 4 set might not be that enticing. I've yet to work on this fight but maybe in that case having some offset pieces that are better itemized with the throughput stats you prefer may be better (although the healing Tier pieces are well itemized sans gloves for my build).

Ashley, someone convinces your poster that he is wrong a couple replies down.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The guy who speaks of using Atonement healing as a significant portion of his healing? I did explain the case of a fight like H Ultraxion where one would not be using PW: Shield with loads of frequency.

I'm not saying its the best set bonus in the world, I'm just saying that it needs to be looked into more before smacking it down and that someone has taken a preliminary glance at how often the bonus occurs.

The guy originally claimed that double shields always proc rapture whether or not rapture is on CD.

This was what you linked to right?

Someone proved him wrong.

Oh yeah I see that bit. But then if you keep reading someone else went back and calculated how often each event is happening. Its not terribly off from the 10% mark for her boss fights.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...3950?page=2#37

Rapture procs could potentially be higher but its not something abismal like "this shield got placed 10% but you only got 2% increased Rapture procs."

I just got 4set on my priest alt which I have been playing disc on but since the bonus is so freaking crappy for disc I'm going to try holy out now. 10% chance for a double rapture once every 12 seconds, and if you use many bubbles you will never get the use of the bonus because rapture will be on CD from a shield that was smaller due to not getting the set bonus proc.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    When you play a video game, you don't put any "effort" into it at all. You're pushing keys on a keyboard, you're not running a marathon or playing a sport.

The bonus would be nicer if the two events weren't linked (or could be linked but not guaranteed to be linked), but it seems as though they are.

Even with extreme PW: Shield spamming on H Zon'ozz (no Shadow Priests or Fire Mages to soak their own #5 or #7 orb bounce), I didn't feel like I was hurting for mana. And I actually did well on Rapture procs for once (assuming a 15 second gap between procs I missed 3 over the course of our kill). So I don't think the tier bonus is really needed to increase my own mana longevity, but I think the increase on the absorb is nice in itself.

Well... unless you derp and end up casting it on that one person who just doesn't get hit for 15 seconds (;
    Last edited by Ashleycakez; 2011-12-30 at 01:22 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    2 after 6 minutes I don't think so, its 10% chance per cast not for a whole fight so if it doesn't have an internal cooldown then you could actually cast a few in a row, Actually on that note does anyone know if the 4pc has an internal cooldown and what it is?
    60x6 = 360 => 360/15 = 24 => 24 * 10% = 2,4 raptures with double shield.

At around 150k mana that is about 25k mana which over 6mins equals:

25000 / 360 = 69,5 => 69,5*5 = 347,5mp5, and that is if you only do shields for rapture, if you do shields for other things and the double shield procs there (though this goes both ways), u get no double rapture since rapture is on cd, from my understanding, or if the shield fails to break and just fades, the entire effect is lost.

In comparison the 2set T12 gives 412 mp5.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2011-12-30 at 01:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Over the course of 4 hours of raiding, priest A and priest B has ~equal gear although priest A have disc 4 set (both are disc)

Priest A's PW:Shields averaged 10% higher than Priest B's shields

So you could pretty much say that this is a 10% increase to PW:Shield / Rapture