Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    By using the internet to figure things out for yourself. Your smart enough to navigate your way onto mmo-champion and post, so there no reason you cant look at your classes elitist jerks page or use wowhead.com like everybody else does.

Cant hold everybody's hand in orgrimmar.

I had the same problem, guildies/class specific forums are usually slightly more understanding than random people, if all else fails you kind of figure things out on your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    The sad thing is in this game is that for every nice, helpful person there are 5 rude, selfish douchebags I'm afraid
    I've gone out of my way in the past trying to help guildies who had no clue how to play a hunter and didn't even realise Misdirection was a useful ability - bless them

I also remember getting summoned to Stockades from the Draenei Isles when levelling and having no idea how to get back as I didn't realise I had a hearthstone...

Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    By using the internet to figure things out for yourself. Your smart enough to navigate your way onto mmo-champion and post, so there no reason you cant look at your classes elitist jerks page or use wowhead.com like everybody else does.

Cant hold everybody's hand in orgrimmar.
    Yes, why have any social interaction whatsoever in an MMO?

Deleted
    Being new to WoW ain't that bad in comparison to alot of other games though. DotA is a REALLY good example:
    The other night I was playing a hero I hadn't played before and at the end of the game everyone blamed me and flamed me because I sucked with it (which I should because I don't play alot) and people were saying stuff like "enjoy your ban" etc. The elitist level of some people is really goddamn high and it's even more sad that people are being elitist in public in GAMES, get real ffs.

The massive size of these games like WOW and LOL insures that they will have plenty of trolls, elitists and plain rude people. In wow vanilla you could ask around for stuff in chat and you wouldn't get belittled all the time, was pretty crazy, even in rift and swtor you can ask for stuff in general and guild chat and it's not a problem, but in these massive games its like a giant unmoderated chat room, there's gonna be so many trolls, it can't be helped. Unfortunately if yer gonna play a huge game like wow you have to look stuff up on your own.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Whip Sam View Post
    Well I am now 85, and i am a shadow priest
    http://www.noxxic.com/pve/priest/shadow

Enjoy.

(Mod sorry if linking to other sites is against the rules, just giving the dude some advice)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by toeknee View Post
    Ah the wonderful WoW community. The only place where your told to fuck off when trying to start a illegitimate discussion about being told to fuck off.
    Big lol and so true

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not your fault per sé, but rather the community as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by Envisionist View Post
    Yes, why have any social interaction whatsoever in an MMO?
    I know man!! There's no other social interaction in the game at all unless im teaching random people who whisper me how to play!!! Thanks for pointing that out bro

Deleted
    Hey MMO posters,

I am fairly new to these forums, so i wanted to say hi. Hi. I have a slight dilemma that i dont know what to do.

A friend of mine asked me to come play WoW with him, and I signed up for the game when the company was giving it for $30 dollars. I also signed up for the recruit a friend program with my buddy playing WoW. He is in a high end raiding guild, but he promised me he would level up with me a few of his characters to help me get a character leveled to 85 to do stuff.

Well I am now 85, and i am a shadow priest, and every time i ask someone for advice in game, even if i whisper them (usually really geared priests who obviously know how to dps well) they usually reply back with insulting and bad comments. I don't know why someone would insult another person just asking for advice and help to improve? Things like "gtfo nub play another game" and i whisper again and it says in red "this person is ignoring you".

Is this normal behavior? Do people really act like this when someone needs help? When I ask a general question about the game, or a priest specific question in the general city channel, someone will almost always say, "are you serious?" or something like "how bad are you?" I even got "you should just kill yourself now because you are helpless"

This is really turning me off to playing this game Even some people in my guild will insult me for asking a question.

Anyone notice this? What should I do?
    yes this is how the wow community acts and yes todays wow community is shit and biggest game ruiner in wow today it was alot better back in tbc and vanilla. To my exp alliance on pve/rp servers have the kindest people and pvp horde have the worst. male Belf players seems to almost always be some kind of jerk

10+ Year Old Account
    Asking in Trade is usually a bad idea, as this is where most the trolls live. generally it's better to talk to friends or guild. websites are alright, but some are downright confusing (Elitist jerks for instance may have all the big answers, but they word things so technically that there is a good chance of just getting a headache).

I will usually answer questions posed to me if it's something i know about. But have to admit i have seen some questions in trade of late that are so.. derp. that i'm afraid to even try to answer for fear it's just another troll.

May be a good idea to have your friend introduce you to someone that can help you out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azidonis View Post
    And... why the hell isn't your friend answering your questions for you?
    Was gonna say the same =/
    Apart from all the sites most people posted, I'd suggest you make some friends. It may be a slow process but people are usually nicer towards friends. When I started wow, the friend that recruited me wasn't much online, so I recurred to his friends and slowly they became my friends too and learnt a lot from them.
    GL to you OP.
    ~ My mounts collection ~

~ Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned ~
    Thanks Elyaan for the signature!

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with just looking stuff up on google is that you can find 10 different websites on the same exact subject and they can/do all say something different. Being a noob means you don't know where to go to find answers. It has nothing to do with laziness. When I first started playing I looked up everything I could 24/7 when I wasn't actually playing, and it took another player to help me before I finally learned everything I needed to do, because all the stuff I looked up would contradict itself. The community as a whole just needs to get off it's high horse and realize there are people who need help, help them, and make the game a better place to spend time, rather than the hostile schoolyard it's become.

Quote Originally Posted by pocky_rin View Post
    I would expect nice answers from a guild if you ask them a question, but whispering random busy people, well I wouldn't be rude but chances are I would answer the question if it was short but if it took a lot of explaining I would suggest a site. I never hang around in the game if I'm bored, i just log off and play something else.So if im ingame i'm certainly very busy with my friends and typing to them plus talking to more guildies on ts. So it gets a little too much to also type to someone that wants a big explanation and maybe isn't getting the help i am trying to say. I won't put you on ignore like I said I'd just probably lie and say it was only an alt and to check the website where I got my info. Btw EJ is elitist jerks, its a lifesaver for me for any new alts I choose to play. They do all the theorycrafting for u and u just get the list that says - u want to go for int, hit and then crit. For my main I will try out a few things myself but for an alt u just want to know the rotation and stat weights + start raidin.
    What constitutes busy for people playing this game? I mean, i literally saw a guy flying in circles on a big dragon looking thing for almost 20 minutes while i was in que for a heroic dungeon.

I just dont understand how someone can be so "busy" to come off rude to people playing the game.

And to clarify, i wasn't asking vague questions, they were pretty specific. Until I found out what this website was, (literally a few days ago) I didn't know that tons of stuff was posted about the game. Usually when you want a game guide you pick up one at gamestop.

Hey MMO posters,

I am fairly new to these forums, so i wanted to say hi. Hi. I have a slight dilemma that i dont know what to do.

A friend of mine asked me to come play WoW with him, and I signed up for the game when the company was giving it for $30 dollars. I also signed up for the recruit a friend program with my buddy playing WoW. He is in a high end raiding guild, but he promised me he would level up with me a few of his characters to help me get a character leveled to 85 to do stuff.

Well I am now 85, and i am a shadow priest, and every time i ask someone for advice in game, even if i whisper them (usually really geared priests who obviously know how to dps well) they usually reply back with insulting and bad comments. I don't know why someone would insult another person just asking for advice and help to improve? Things like "gtfo nub play another game" and i whisper again and it says in red "this person is ignoring you".

Is this normal behavior? Do people really act like this when someone needs help? When I ask a general question about the game, or a priest specific question in the general city channel, someone will almost always say, "are you serious?" or something like "how bad are you?" I even got "you should just kill yourself now because you are helpless"

This is really turning me off to playing this game Even some people in my guild will insult me for asking a question.

Anyone notice this? What should I do?
    Your problem is your prob asking in trade or /1. Never do that, its the equivilent of asking for advice on /b/. Go to class specific websites or forums or forum sections, look for people in these places that know thier stuff and PM them, if you know a friendly good player of your class on server pst them. Never ask in trade.

Deleted
    Oh, well it is kind of "normal" behaviour, even if I don't see the point of being rude in any situation.
    Hovewer I do find it very rude to whisper someone only to ask for where to get item/mount/enchant xy. That's wasting my time, use wowhead dammit. And don't tell me you haven't heard of it on your way to 85.

But for other cases, I usually react as following:

- If the "noob" asks a good question that isn't easily answered by guides and such, I'll spare 5min to discuss the matter (unless in a raid or otherwise occupied). There's no reason to not help, I'm happy to help players evolve. WoW is not easy for all who are new to the game.
    - If the noob is friendly but asks a rather stupid question like "what is the best pet", I won't tell them "sporebat" but direct them to one of the bazillion fan sites and blog which cover such a topic.
    - If whoever it is asks no matter what in a way I consider rude (ie, excessive use of punctuation marks or nearly unreadable language), I'll simply not answer, without pretending to be AFK.

I'm happy if I can help someone, but unfortunately, most people seem to be quite unreceptive for advice, even if they initially asked for it. They seem to expect me to tell me how to exactly play, gem, enchant, spec, everything. That's not how it works... Also, many people seem to forget that if they want something from other people, it might be helpful to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Harkar View Post
    Sadly this is the player base of this game, and with that being said, those are assholes who's opinions really don't count or matter. The only thing I could think to do is see if there is a website that might be able to help with rotation for higher dps. I've had people ignore me too, doesn't effect me much since I tend to do stuff alone in game unless I'm in a dungeon.

What server are you playing on?
    Ner'Zhul - US

---------- Post added 2012-01-06 at 01:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Azidonis View Post
    Agreed.

To the OP again:

I would also say, and will probably get flamed for it, but...

...usually, I'm saying usually, because I have usually found it to be the case in the past, a good solid tank pretty much has to know the basic mechanics of every class and spec, and how they interact with the game world. The good tanks also know where to get such information. Worst case scenario: find out who your guild's main tank is, and ask him or her politely if they wouldn't mind helping you out some when they have the time. You can do this with class leaders too, as I said already, and also if your guild has a lead healer.

And... why the hell isn't your friend answering your questions for you? Tell him I said he better not make me reinstate my cancelled WoW subscription, roll a tank on your server to powerlevel up to 85, and help you gear up/learn.
    Lol this would be great! I'm having a hard time making friends in the game because of the general negativity. My friend since switched servers with his raiding guild, and I want to learn more before I decide to do that.

Even guilds that I look to join, when i join one, i try to be nice and social in the guild, but i still get negative things said, and people never want to group up to do the harder 5 man group content. I literally get *crickets* when i ask for help..

everyone saying that there is no reason to not check elitist jerk or whatever is good but THIS GUY didnt know there was good website to learn rotation,advice,ect... i helped at least 50 person seriously on wow with rotation,help, whatever, you just got bad luck with some jerks, if you need any question, i can always try to answer, and yeah wow communauty is a pain sometime, otherwise dont stop to play

Well, I think the good news is that just like we had to search for things 6, 7 years ago. The OP now knows where to go EJ/MMO-Champ for all the info he whispers people for. Hopefully he doesn't whisper people anymore and gets ignored.

@OP: Honestly, do you think everyone ASKED people tons of questions back in the day? Just like in real-life if you enjoy something (WoW/Class) you research it yourself and don't rely on others for info.