Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    Yeh, while I loved to help out my guild, I wasn't that much of a tank and being pretty much morally forced to do it(no tanking= no raid because not enough tanks) was just... Glad that goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Was in the same boat with my Elemental Shaman. I did great dps, but because my healing was decent and we had an almost impossible time finding good, reliable healers I was almost always subbing in as resto. One of the reasons I also retired my shaman.
    Exactly. No holy trinity means you play what you want to play. There's no targeted healing, no designated tank, just players and their skills. If you can keep yourself alive, put out some decent damage, and possibly toss up a shield or an ability that removes debuffs then you are doing well. It also holds each person a little more responsible for their own actions, but at the same time requires some good group coordination and hopefully some fun uses of cross class combos.

While I'm okay with the holy trinity and it obviously works, I am looking forward to something a little different. If implemented well I think it could become something that truly sells GW2 for me from the PvE side of things (not to mention Dynamic Events). WvWvW already has me sold on the PvP side.

Since I never played the first one, I really have no interest in the second one. What is this "Holy Trinity" of which you speak?
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

There will be alot of people from WoW trying GW2 and then quitting almost instantly, most of these people will have the personality of the rerollers of season 5, who derped away as holy paladin and deathknight to get a free gladiator title.
    The holy trinity is: Tank - healer- dps. There are no dedicated healers in GW2, that is what he means about the trinity being gone.
    GW1 and GW2 are completely different games, aside from taking place in the same universe some 2-300 years apart they have quite little incommon.

All that said however, if the pvp is even remotely as good as it is in GW1, I'll be happy and knowing arenanet they're not bound to spoil balancing to make a bunch of forumwhiners happy either so it'll all be good.

The main point is this tho: Theres no fee, you can easily play both WoW and GW2 should you so choose.

I might try it then although I'm really not into PvP. I've never done an arena or a rated BG in WoW and in the FPS games I never play multiplayer mode.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    I might try it then although I'm really not into PvP. I've never done an arena or a rated BG in WoW and in the FPS games I never play multiplayer mode.
    It's not primarily a PvP title, PvE/PvP/WvWvW all take center stage and have been developed right alongside each other with none of them being the focus. Also, in regards to the Holy Trinity, besides not having a dedicated healer, there's also no taunting in the game at all so one person can't gather mobs up and just whack away at them.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Played too many failed mmo's to be drawn into another one easily. Vanguard, Tabula Rasa, AoC

Quote Originally Posted by Tychoblu View Post
    Played too many failed mmo's to be drawn into another one easily. Vanguard, Tabula Rasa, AoC
    What makes those games failures? Other than Tabula Rasa of course.

The other two games are still chugging along.

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    Since I never played the first one, I really have no interest in the second one. What is this "Holy Trinity" of which you speak?
    Very worrying a player of level 85, avenger of Hyjal in i382 is asking what is the holy trinity.

I often come off like a massive condescending bitch, but then I read stuff like the above...

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Very worrying a player of level 85, avenger of Hyjal in i382 is asking what is the holy trinity.

I often come off like a massive condescending bitch, but then I read stuff like the above...
    To be fair, most MMO's nowadays don't effectively teach any of the basic mechanics of your given class or the game as a whole anymore, with WoW being one of the biggest offenders : /

But it hasn't needed to to that to be successful, and teaching these mechanics can be difficult so it does what works.

redit:

Also, "holy trinity" isn't necessarily the most obvious term for tank/healer/dps combo. I remember the first time I hear it years and years ago I was confused, but the second my friend explained it to me I instantly understood. I just had never given any though to naming it.

I don't care about the plot.

Really? If I'm having issues caring about SWTOR and it's stories, when they're force-fed to you, you think I'll somehow care about GW2s?

I want to believe. I do. But there's one other thing that kills it for me.

No Raiding.

Sorry, 5 mans don't = 'iconic boss fights' to me. And i could care less about the 302835 modes that they say are gonna be in a dungeon. You can only polish a turd so many ways before you realize it's still the same turd

I'd never heard the tank/healer/dps combo referred to as the holy trinity until I got interested in GW2 tbh. :P I'm hope they understand the concept...just maybe not the reference.

But yes:
    -different games. Look at sticky
    -holy trinity is the tank/healer/dps combo. Many have become disillusioned by it because it forces you to play in a certain role and limits the scope of what you can really do in a game. You end building encounters around the concept...thus it's limiting.
    -GW2 is not F2P.

Quote Originally Posted by P4R45171K View Post
    GW2 will be boring and dull just like every other game out there to date.
    ....not sure if serious....

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    You can only polish a turd so many ways before you realize it's still the same turd
    /facepalm

just speechless really...need a coffee.

Really? If I'm having issues caring about SWTOR and it's stories, when they're force-fed to you, you think I'll somehow care about GW2s?

No Raiding.

Sorry, 5 mans don't = 'iconic boss fights' to me. And i could care less about the 302835 modes that they say are gonna be in a dungeon. You can only polish a turd so many ways before you realize it's still the same turd
    If you like raiding so much keep playing WoW. I hear they have some great ideas coming up (lol). Seriously though if you don't like what GW2 is bringing to the table stick to what you're comfortable with. It will NOT be a WoW clone and it will have really nothing to compare to with WoW. There will be no raids, no gear treadmill and no holy trinity.

Again, not everyone is going to like the same stuff you or I do. All we can do is give out the information on the game so that those not informed don't remain ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    /facepalm

just speechless really...need a coffee.
    Agreed. I can't understand why so many people are just so ignorant when posting. If anyone spent more than 2 minutes looking up any information whatsoever they'd find that this is vastly different and will not be an MMO built from the EQ mold like WoW and SWTOR are.

Deleted

No Raiding.

But yet you continue to play the rehashed WoW content I bet. So many hypocrites.

Raiding doesn't make or break a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Again, not everyone is going to like the same stuff you or I do. All we can do is give out the information on the game so that those not informed don't remain ignorant.
    I agree except even with giving out truck loads of information there will still be the kiddies and fanboys who say "No raiding? QQ SHITTY GAME" and the like. Nothing we can do, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

I have never heard the term applied to WoW and I've been playing it since November of 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    But yet you continue to play the rehashed WoW content I bet. So many hypocrites.

Raiding doesn't make or break a game.
    As I said in a previous thread most of my friends quit the grind that is the WoW raiding treadmill system. They're all loving GW1 and can't wait for GW2. Some people don't like change - they can continue to play with their pandas and pokemon for all I care. Personally I'd rather not see them in GW2 anyway ^^