Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Unless they're the type to flaunt the fact that they're a female, or they speak in vent, chances are pretty good that you'd never be able to tell if a player is male or female. There have been times where I mistook a guy's mannerisms for female ones (I honestly thought he was a she until he spoke in vent), where on the flipside I've often been mistaken for a male due to my mannerisms when I type (or speak, though I have a distinctly female voice). So while many females have a distinct give-away for their gender (how they speak even in text, which is often but not always more verbose), for the most part you won't know until you know, which is to say you'll know when or if they want you to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    Being female myself I can USUALLY tell when i'm talking to another girl (not just after I hear her speak on vent) as females tend to be far more chatty than men. Men when you talk to them either don't respond or give one word answers whereas girls usually try to carry on a conversation.
    Not always true. I used to drink a lot playing WoW, and was extremely chatty :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    Being female myself I can USUALLY tell when i'm talking to another girl (not just after I hear her speak on vent) as females tend to be far more chatty than men. Men when you talk to them either don't respond or give one word answers whereas girls usually try to carry on a conversation.

For example I like to chat to my party members when I do heroic as I find them insanely boring. If I try to make a joke to get people talking and met with stony silence it's generally a party of all males, if on the other hand I manage to get some kind of conversation running it's generally (not always) a female
    This. Females seem to be much nicer to random people, and much more fun to do heroics with. However if you are already a friend with someone, i dont think it matters much what their gender is. I've played with talkative guys in Arena too. You can notice sometimes though whether someone is a female or not though. Use of language, use of smilies, and stuff like that.

If I try to make a joke to get people talking and met with stony silence it's generally a party of all males
    Or the joke was bad

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenasan View Post
    Boobs and a vagina is usually the first sign.
    I'm seven years old and what is this? I don't even..

Deleted
    Say something sexist or gender related in that chat.

E.g:
    "Can someone tell me why the hell girls get their eyebrows plucked and then draw fake ones on with a pencil!?"

Those who respond defensively or aggressively are either:

1) Girls
    2) Men who's girls can see the chat and so have to respond.

Narrows it down considerably. Hope this helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanggaxx View Post
    This. Females seem to be much nicer to random people, and much more fun to do heroics with. However if you are already a friend with someone, i dont think it matters much what their gender is. I've played with talkative guys in Arena too. You can notice sometimes though whether someone is a female or not though. Use of language, use of smilies, and stuff like that.
    For me, the thing I tend to notice is people using proper English in chat. Maybe it's some degree of sexism on my part, but when someone is actually using correct caps, spelling, punctuation, etc, I tend to be more inclined to think of that female character as a female player.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Antech View Post
    HAHA you serious? GG "Mummy what are BOOBS and a VAGINA??" ... "Something to eat honey !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fagnut View Post
    there are a few girl players in our guild but i had no idea they were until they said so ( and hearing them in raidcall). i didnt notice anything different from guys playing female toons.

are there any signs or give-aways to identify girl gamers ?
    i joined my guild and managed to piss off the only 3 girls that were inguild lol.(made 2 of them leave later on lol)

start with dis it always has success:

why did the woman cross the road...............WHO CARES why isnt she in the kitchen.

trust me after that not a single female will be able to hide their female lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Antech View Post
    How do you live seven years and not see any boobs? Those damn things are everywhere.

Why does it matter? Most of us don't want to broadcast to the world that we're female.

---------- Post added 2012-01-15 at 09:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    For me, the thing I tend to notice is people using proper English in chat. Maybe it's some degree of sexism on my part, but when someone is actually using correct caps, spelling, punctuation, etc, I tend to be more inclined to think of that female character as a female player.
    I've got a couple of grammar nazis in my guild and they're worse about it than I am. PS: They're male.

the mere fact that you want to know before they want to tell you is creepy.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

You can spot a lot of female gamers based on the fact that it seems to be their mission in life to inform as many strangers on the internet as possible that they're a female gamer.

If their mental maturity is beyond that of a 16 year old, why does it even matter? Given your likely motivation for creating this thread, they probably aren't interested in you.

While I'm thinking of it; I recall pugging BoT on an alt and we had a female tank on one run. She'd been attention whoring it up in vent since about the time she logged in. One of the others called her on this, and asked her to focus on getting hit by mobs instead of trying to flirt with everyone in vent (for a tank, she was not very good at getting hit by mobs). She responded to this by ranting about how he was sexist and guys are so mean, etc. Other tank got tired of carrying her slack/didn't seem keen on her general attitude, left. She claimed to have a friend who could tank, then said that he refused even though she offered "gobbies". By about this time, I'd grown weary of her hypocritical nonsense, kicked her, logged over to a tank and replaced tank and DPS. Thinking about it, even if she hadn't been a bad tank, at that point I probably would have removed her. The only one who complained was some random who said he was "trying to get her to send pics".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post
    the mere fact that you want to know before they want to tell you is creepy.
    Yeah, that was kinda what I said in an earlier post. There's usually only two reasons people want giveaways so they can know beforehand - either they want to drool on/fawn over/stalk us, which is ALL kinds of creepy as hell and DO NOT WANT (which is the most likely), or they're one of that small handful of special souls who have made up their mind that 'gurls cant play lol' and want to make double sure they don't get confused by any pesky evidence to the contrary.

Either way, it's creepy.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Deleted
    Yeah, that was kinda what I said in an earlier post. There's usually only two reasons people want giveaways so they can know beforehand - either they want to drool on/fawn over/stalk us, which is ALL kinds of creepy as hell and DO NOT WANT (which is the most likely), or they're one of that small handful of special souls who have made up their mind that 'gurls cant play lol' and want to make double sure they don't get confused by any pesky evidence to the contrary.

Either way, it's creepy.
    So Girls are sick of the attention and Guys cant stop asking for more? We should trade places. Just get us back. Ask for dates, pictures, and never stop clinging to us in Heroics. We'd hate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanggaxx View Post
    So Girls are sick of the attention and Guys cant stop asking for more? We should trade places. Just get us back. Ask for dates, pictures, and never stop clinging to us in Heroics. We'd hate it.
    This is some of that new-fangled 'reverse psychology', isn't it? *suspicious glare*

Who knows maybe I just have an odd way to look at it, I don't care if you're a girl or a guy,you aren't here for me to bang so what difference does it make? This doesn't mean I don't throw my share of innuendo's out, I actually wind up throwing them out more towards the guys it's all redundant to stress who's a girl a who isn't, because in the end why the hell does it really matter?

Either way, it's creepy.
    no, just curious and i have nothin against females playing wow

Deleted
    Its very subtle its hard to know if they are a girl :P :P :P

They make it very hard :P to realize what sex they are :P:P:P

10+ Year Old Account
    I KNOW I'M A GIRL AND I'M A GAMER! DONT HIT ON ME YOU SILLY BOYS XD

If you're talking about gamers that just happen to be female, you don't until you hear them.

Deleted
    This is some of that new-fangled 'reverse psychology', isn't it? *suspicious glare*
    Yes, the results are disappointing so far