MMO's should cater to everyone, but that everyone should enter the game and do what they can cater to. MMO's are very time consuming and in a way another life. As much as people do not like this, they should realize getting that epic sword is going to take a long time or it is just not possible. Why get a job in hopes of buying a 500,000 dollar car when you only want to work 2 hours a week. (exaggerated but the underlying theme still exists) If your intentions are that, then you must realize it will take time before you can start owning. What makes this idea so fun, is the work you have to put in, which continously builds up and when you finally win the roll its the most amazing feeling for those few hours then you want better because your tired of the same old crits. My first time logging in vanilla WoW I saw this rogue in bloodfang gear, I literally drooled over what he had. I turned around and ran back to my questing area. From there I dedicated hours until I finally hit 60, and I ran some endgame but mostly pvped. I became ranked on my realm it was great, and following the gear that came with that, others would now whisper oh you look so cool. As the exspansion progressed, this feeling is no longer there, its more how did you get that achievement. WoW has clearly made gear so that everyone can get it, and accomodated the casual player. But it is a MMO, might as well throw in the white flag or make it f2p.

Now I have noticed mmos complain of lifespan, which one easy way to resolve this is to create a long leveling process. I think I had so much more fun leveling getting excited to wear shoulders, then my helmet, then this new cool looking blue I got from a dungeon. Now it's boa gear or you level so fast who cares about the gear. Also the world is not being explored as much as it used to because of the quick instanced things. Insead of having to go to a certain guy to Q up for pvp it's on your UI. Small things which make things easier can kill the longevity of a game. Basically the lazyness of sitting playing a video game all day, has become lazy inside the game as well.
Now I am sure there is alot I am missing and possibly most of this doesn't make sense. I've never posted before and I thought I would ramble some thoughts. My overall message though is that mmos should be time consuming, and should allow those epic all nighters working on a heroic for a pair of gloves. Now I can't say I have all the time in the world, I have a fairly balanced and out going lifestyle but those times when I am glued to the computer screen, I would love to go on an adventure each time and try to work on something new.

If you had the time to read this ramble then thank you, criticize if you would like, or post ideas of which you miss the nerdy feeling, and epic journey's of an MMO.
Thank you