Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Bringing alcohol into the US.

I'm 20 years old and staying in the US for 5 months. Am I allowed to bring alcohol into the United states? I'm staying in New york.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure, I would think not though since you are underage here in the U.S.

Deleted
    well of course you can drink alcohol if you're under 21 in the US
    you just can't buy it
    doubt they would let you carry the alcohol over the border though

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    well of course you can drink alcohol if you're under 21 in the US
    you just can't buy it
    doubt they would let you carry the alcohol over the border though
    Please don't give the foreigner stupid ideas. Thanks -.-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Armakus View Post
    Please don't give the foreigner stupid ideas. Thanks -.-
    what kind of stupid ideas?
    Also, I do not live in the US, but it is true that over here you are allowed to drink at any age, you just aren't allowed to buy it until 18. I'm guessing it's the same in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chance it.
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

Also, I do not live in the US, but it is true that over here you are allowed to drink at any age, you just aren't allowed to buy it until 18. I'm guessing it's the same in the US.
    Nope, No way, man. Anyone under 21 can't even possess booze.

what kind of stupid ideas?
    Yeah, that is completely wrong. You cannot buy, nor drink, alcohol legally in the U.S.A. until 21.

Deleted
    so stupid that u cant drink alc til 21, ancient law is ancient

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheddabezze View Post
    Nope, No way, man. Anyone under 21 can't even possess booze.
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestion View Post
    Yeah, that is completely wrong. You cannot buy, nor drink, alcohol legally in the U.S.A. until 21.
    Oh well, sucks to be you guys, then.

You have to declare you have alcohol, and being under the legal drinking age in the US, I don't think they would let you keep it. If you DIDN'T declare it and they found it, I think you would be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Unless there's another law I'm unaware of, I'm pretty sure the national drinking age was passed in 1984... Prior to then, each individual state was allowed to chose its own drinking age.
    Not really 'ancient.'

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...restricted.xml

Looks like no,

Edit, ok u can bring some but u need to call some place. I wouldn't even bring any though considering your under 21.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    20 some years is hardly "ancient".

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishpaladin View Post
    Chance it.
    What terrible advice. Do you really think it's smart to suggest trying to smuggle in illegal materials (in this case, it would be illegal for the OP, who is 20, to bring alcohol across the border) in a country where patdowns, body scans, luggage scans, detainments for smaller matters, etc, are commonplace?

Do NOT try to bring alcohol in. It isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchkart View Post
    Unless there's another law I'm unaware of, I'm pretty sure the national drinking age was passed in 1984... Prior to then, each individual state was allowed to chose its own drinking age.
    Not really 'ancient.'
    Yes, states can choose their own legal drinking age, but what is brought into the country from outside is a matter of federal law, not state law.

Quote Originally Posted by Llunai View Post
    Yes, states can choose their own legal drinking age, but what is brought into the country from outside is a matter of federal law, not state law.
    I think you missed my point.

I was simply saying the minimum drinking age law isn't 'ancient,' and was only passed within the last 20 years or so.

The minimum drinking age is, of course, Federal law, and I wasn't attempting to imply otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchkart View Post
    I think you missed my point.

I was simply saying the minimum drinking age law isn't 'ancient,' and was only passed within the last 20 years or so.

The minimum drinking age is, of course, Federal law, and I wasn't attempting to imply otherwise.
    I know what you were saying. I just wanted to highlight the section of the post that implied (to somebody skimming posts, rather than reading them in full) that in some states it may not be illegal, therefore if you're traveling to the right state you could probably get away with it.

Not sure about your age requirement, and if you would be granted immunity if the drinking age is lower in your native country or not. Either way I was able to bring back 3 bottles of tequila from mexico in my checked in luggage. You will not be able to have any liquids on you or your carry on luggage though. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Kasmein View Post
    Not sure about your age requirement, and if you would be granted immunity if the drinking age is lower in your native country or not. Either way I was able to bring back 3 bottles of tequila from mexico in my checked in luggage. You will not be able to have any liquids on you or your carry on luggage though. Good luck
    In the end, it comes down to one question -- is it worth the potential pain for such a small gain?

Quote Originally Posted by Priestion View Post
    Wrong as well. It is illegal to purchase and have public possession of alcohol if you are under 21. However many states do still allow the private consumption of alcohol if under 21. 19 out of the 50 states have no ban on underage private alcohol consumption and 17 states have family member/location rules in place.