10man Madness Help!

Our guild is currently at a stand still with this boss (Madness 10 Norm). We don't know how to proceed and have tried multiple options for platforms i will list everything below and how far we get.

Raid Comp
    (This may not be the best comp ever but it is what we have and will not change)

-Tanks-
    Pld
    War

-Heals-
    Holy Priest
    Disc Priest
    Druid

-Dps-
    Mage-Fire
    Dk-Frost/Unholy
    Rogue-Combat
    Priest-Shadow
    (and currently 1 pug which i am open to suggestions on)

FIGHT
    We have always started with the Green platform first after that we have tried almost every choice, the 2 that we seem to do best on are,
    G-R-Y-B We make it to Blue and end up dieing to cataclysm at about 15% left on claw (even popping hero)
    G-Y-R-B We manage to make it to the Blue platform here also but for some reason can never survive the bolt. We manage to survive the bolt the first time with the dk stacking on tanks popping AMZ and everyone else stacking far away popping disc bubble and aoe heals and personal cd's, but that 2nd bolt does like 20-30% more dmg and everyone claims to be doing to same thing.

The dps is around 45k-50k per person at start up till 2nd platform then i stop paying attention cause im a healer not a dps so i wouldn't be able to tell you what it is like on the last platform. Healing seems to be fine it is obviously very intensive on the last platform but we have been rotating cd's and have hit cataclysm many times. We pop hero at the start and use all cd's on first platform and have hero by last platform so here are my questions.

1. Do we just not have the dps to beat this fight yet?
    2. Are we doing the platforms in a bad order is there maybe a better way?
    3. Is it possible to 2heal the fight saving the green platform for last?
    4. if we cant even get past the 4th platform are we going to be able to do the last phase?

any help or suggestions would be very welcomed and i do not have logs but will have logs when we try it this week (thurs night)

Deleted
    1. Go with 2 healers.
    2. Ysera -> Nozdormu -> Alextrasza -> Kalecgos is what we did the first kill.
    3. Saving green isn't needed.
    4. That one exta dps is gonna make a difference, we were jumping onto DW's head with 1 min 30 to enrage the first time (6 dps). When we ran with 7 dps, everything went smoother, we didn't struggle on Cataclysm on the last platform at all. We just won.

Quote Originally Posted by mrshmugles View Post
    1. Do we just not have the dps to beat this fight yet?
    2. Are we doing the platforms in a bad order is there maybe a better way?
    3. Is it possible to 2heal the fight saving the green platform for last?
    4. if we cant even get past the 4th platform are we going to be able to do the last phase?
    1. Yes
    2. G Y R B is perfectly fine
    3. This is dependent on the healer.
    4. The 4th platform IMO is the toughest point of the fight. P2 is a pretty straight burn.

Try using your tanks T13 4p to your advantage. The tank on the corruption will need 1-2 CDs as he will be closest to the bolt. We didn't have a problem with survivablity on our first kill. Our healers then were in semi 378-391 gear and some 359s.

We used to exact same healing setup in the video in my sig. However, that was a farm fight for us and its a DPS POV so I'm not sure if it'll be much help.

Deleted
    This only means your DPS is to low. G R Y B is "standard order". Use it and try it with 2 healers.

As others have mentioned, both G-R-Y-B and G-Y-R-B are both viable (and common) kill orders. The reason you are having trouble with the second bolt when doing G-Y-R-B is that for the first bolt you have the 20% health buff, which you do not have on the second platform.

It is possible to do this fight with two healers, but they need to be fairly decent to be able to cope with the later platforms. If you do decide to drop a healer, I would suggest G-R-Y-B as a kill order, as you likely won't have the healing to deal with two bolts.

The last platform isn't too difficult if everyone is doing the right thing. Focus down the adds quickly, and ensure that everyone is making appropriate use of dream.

First of all, I would recommend going with 1 tank only. Will give you an extra spot for a dps, and its doable this way. You need to nuke down the big tentacle before the second Impale hits.

Secondly, go platform order: 3 - 1 - 2 - 4 (Cant remember the colours, might be what your using :P). This way, you will only have to deal with the slow Elementium Bolt on last platform. Before it hits, stack up and use raid cooldowns. Barrier or whatever the priest thing is called. You might also get a second Impale on the last platform. If you do, you can easily use Hand of Protection on the tank, before it runs it. The tank just have to remove it after, and re-taunt..

On the 2nd phase, deal with adds, both small and big, THEN pop Heroism/Bloodlust and just nuke the head down. Dont go for the second wave of adds, just DPS. With 3 healers, it should be pretty easy this way..

Anyway, this is what I can think of at the moment, hope it helps you

If you feel your healing isn't enough with 2 healers you can let your pala solo tank it, since he can rotate hes ardent defender bubble and with the disc priests pain supresiion and the holy priests guardian he should be able to take all impales without dying. Thats how we did it(we had a holy pala for hand of sacrifice though)

It's possible to 2 heal, it's possible to solo tank. It's not necessary to do either of those.

G-R-Y-B will probably be best. You may be surviving G-Y-R-B the first bolt due to healer CDs which probably won't be there for the next one. Surviving the bolt is tricky, so leaving Yellow until second to last is usually best.

The blue platform sounds like your problem, if you can't kill it in time, you simply need more DPS. If you're taking too much time on the bloods, have a tank gether them and then call for AoE once they regenerate their HP. This prevents you wasting time on them as if you start to DPS too late, they will heal and you'll have to do it again. If it's simply a case of not enough DPS, then the only way to improve that is to get them to play better. It's a DPS race from start to finish as well. You should be nuking hard on every platform, in order to beat the 15 minute enrage.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Schnackie View Post
    First of all, I would recommend going with 1 tank only. Will give you an extra spot for a dps, and its doable this way. You need to nuke down the big tentacle before the second Impale hits.

Secondly, go platform order: 3 - 1 - 2 - 4 (Cant remember the colours, might be what your using :P). This way, you will only have to deal with the slow Elementium Bolt on last platform. Before it hits, stack up and use raid cooldowns. Barrier or whatever the priest thing is called. You might also get a second Impale on the last platform. If you do, you can easily use Hand of Protection on the tank, before it runs it. The tank just have to remove it after, and re-taunt..

On the 2nd phase, deal with adds, both small and big, THEN pop Heroism/Bloodlust and just nuke the head down. Dont go for the second wave of adds, just DPS. With 3 healers, it should be pretty easy this way..

Anyway, this is what I can think of at the moment, hope it helps you
    This this this. Are you sure your not in my guild :-)
    Don't forget to single target the blazing tentacles on the last platform. Be sure to stop dps on the boss (before 90%??) so that you don't push blazing tentacles before you get the large Corruption tentacle and the elementium bolt down.

Also OP: get yourself a Demo lock for this fight -- the 10% SP boost will really help your damage and healing. Or you could go with one of the lesser classes to provide the buff (Ele shaman or BM hunter) ;-)
    Last edited by Scathbais; 2012-01-18 at 12:49 PM.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

So for 1 tanking the fight are you saying the tank picks up the mutated corruption and everyone stays on the big claw tentacle thingy? or do we kill the corruption like normal? and if we stay on the "claw" (thats what im calling it) does the corruption go away once we kill claw or do we still need to kill it? I guess im just a little confused on how to 1 tank the fight.

Kill order should always be Bolt > Corruption (big tentacle) > Blistering Tentacles (when needed) > Blood > Limb

When single tanking, it's even more important that the Corruption die quickly, before the 2nd Impale.

ok so for 1 tanking you do everything like u normally would and g-r-y-b for platform order. when would the tank need to be popping cd's then? just randomly when getting low or is there a certain time? Sorry for the questions but i just wanna know exactly what were doing lol.

also how far do you think we would get 1tank 2heals 7dps? any thoughts?

15+ Year Old Account
    If your pallie tank does not have his 4 piece get it asap! As soon as that happens you can go into easy sailing as his CD will be up for every tentacle and he can solo tank it easy! What we do is have our holy pallie go tank spec, I swap to fury and we 2 heal solo tank it and NUKE everything down. We get the tentacle down before the bolt hits on all platforms and for the 4th one we ensure that we have 2 cool downs up (we use last stand and tranq).

In my opinion this really trivialized allot of the fight for our group but again allot rests on the shoulders of your healers and DPS to time and max DPS on the tentacle each time.
    We didn't get it down this week (MIA players + mage and s.priest kept getting DC boss) but you can look at our WOL to see if you can get any info from our fight as our groups are very similar.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/9...ses&boss=56173

Edi: Platform order is G - R - Y - B for our strat.

Quote Originally Posted by mrshmugles View Post
    So for 1 tanking the fight are you saying the tank picks up the mutated corruption and everyone stays on the big claw tentacle thingy? or do we kill the corruption like normal? and if we stay on the "claw" (thats what im calling it) does the corruption go away once we kill claw or do we still need to kill it? I guess im just a little confused on how to 1 tank the fight.
    The strategy doesn't change for 1-tanking, except that you should now have enough dps to kill the corruption tentacle before the second impale, meaning you don't have to burn 2 tank cd's or have 2 tanks to soak it. You still kill Bolt > Corruption, then Blistering Tentacles > Oozes > DW Arm.

As for general advice, use raid cd's well, but don't burn extra ones unnecessarily. I'd suggest the following.

Divine Guardian - use on first or second blistering tentacles on all platforms.
    Anti-Magic Zone - either just as the bolt lands (dropping on raid, rather than tanks), or when the deathwing limb gets to about 30% health to cover some damage. 2 minute cd should be up every platform
    Power Word: Barrier - only use with the bolt if you aren't using AMZ, otherwise, keep it for blistering tentacles.
    Shield Wall (warrior tank 4-set) - with Bolt
    Rally Cry - after Bolt, especially on blue platform to help with tentacle slams

Tranquility - after the Bolt on red platform, then again for blistering tentacles on blue
    Divine Hymn (holy priest) - right after Bolt on blue platform, will be up again for late in P2 when damage ramps up significantly.
    Divine Hymn (disc priest) - as needed through the fight, but try to have it for P2 as well, since then end of P2 is a harsh damage increase when DW is below 10%

This should spread out the cd's you have enough to minimize the need for burst healing so you can at least consistantly make it to blue platform. After that its purely a dps concern. As far as that goes, you'll want to make sure everyone saves large personal cd's (cooldowns longer than 2-3 minutes) for this platform. I'd recommend using them on the corruption to kill it very quickly and lower the load on healers. If you absolutely need heroism here, its ok, but you're going to be better off if you can save that for P2.

Lastly, If you can go to 2 healers, you should. The fight involves killing a lot of adds with relatively low health but high damage abilities, meaning an extra dps will kill them much more quickly and lower the healing load. If 2 of your healers can handle the fight, its going to make the dps timers much more relaxed.
    Last edited by Kurzior; 2012-01-18 at 02:50 PM.

Ok well Thank to everyone for the advice going to be trying some of these starts out seeing what works best for us and Kurzior thanks for being very detailed makes understanding wht to do alot easier lol =]

Deleted
    We're having the same problem and I asked for help on this forum and got lots of good replies. Maybe there's something in there that can help you too:

mmo-champion.com/threads/1065135-Madness-of-Deathwing-Wipe-on-Elementium-Bolt

One of the things we do that might help you..(we use 2 tanks, 3 healers)...at the start of the fight, we blow hero immediately. It'll be up again during stage 2 unless you're DPS is off the charts. As soon as hero goes off, one healer (me...disc) and our warlock jump to the blue platform and dps the blue claw until about 7 seconds to the bolt cast...we then jump back to green and kill green as normal. Once the green claw dies, everyone goes to red (we go G/R/Y/B) but the warlock and I stop at yellow and again DPS the claw until either 92 percent or 7 seconds to go on bolt. This has the effect of making the last two platforms when you have to take damage off the tentacle to deal with blistering less of a DPS race.

You have to be careful of two things. Don't take the blue or yellow tent below 90 percent because you'll have to deal with that claws extra "pulsing" damage for the rest of the fight. Additionally, you have to watch the timing of blistering tentacles very carefully if you do this. The last thing you want to do is to have blistering unexpectedly pop out on the yellow claw when you're busy dpsing the big claw in back.