Thread: New Prot Pally

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Prot Pally

I've finally got my pally up to level 85 and have started the process of gearing her up and tanking instances. This is my first time trying to tank anything in WoW and it seems really hectic to me right now. My biggest problem is trying to keep up with all the mobs that are being pulled and keeping mobs from breaking out of the pack and going after a DPS. I have read over a couple of the prot pally guides and I feel like I understand the ability priorities and how to gear my character.

A couple of questions that I have:

1. Should I pull with Avenger's Shield? I currently have it glyphed but I am considering removing the glyph for it to hit more targets on the initial pull.

2. What is the best method for targeting mobs that run wild or adds that come about during boss fights?

3. Should I use Consecration at all? I've read where it will drain my mana quickly.

Any tips for a new prot pally would be much appreciated. I am not new to the game but definitely new to the role of tanking!

I pull with judgement, when the mobs are close enough for the shield to bounce I use avengers shield unglyphed. Loose mobs are best picked up with an addon of some form. I use Tidy plates so if any break free I can see easily which ones and then taunt them back.
    Consec is expensive but it won't oom you if you judge every time it's off CD, which you will do with tier 13 as it provides a shield for each judgement you do.

1. I use avengers shield to pull, glyphed for dazing. Let's CC catch up plus gives a seconds to judge the "skull" mob
    2. I manually target adds, just seems natural. Most of the time clicking on name frames (i use grid) and cast righteous defense on any highlighted aggro player works like a charm as well.
    3. Consecration lacks some of the umph it had in TBC and Wrath. Use it when you kinda have the situation under control and obviously heavy AE packs

Other than that
    use judgement on CD
    keep an eye on threat if you're cruising use holy power for word of glory and flip to seal of insight
    Use soft CDs like trinkets and divine protection often, every little bit helps
    Real Paladins Do It with Crusader

I'd advise against the dazing glyph, it's purely down to preference ofcourse, but if you have some hard hitting ranged dps and are trying to move mobs.. they're going to pull agro before the mob gets to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Níghtmare View Post
    I'd advise against the dazing glyph, it's purely down to preference ofcourse, but if you have some hard hitting ranged dps and are trying to move mobs.. they're going to pull agro before the mob gets to you.
    dps always waits :P
    Real Paladins Do It with Crusader

Do you guys glyph Divine Protection to use it for magic damage only?
    Last edited by Laurelin; 2012-01-10 at 03:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Avenger's Shield is Highly dpendant on each pull as to whether it is glyphed or not, if its a single boss and no adds, single target high damage glyph is better, but if there are any more than a single target the daved glyph works wonderful. If you are still mostly running 5mans I have found the 3 target daved shield to be useful far more often than single taget version. If you have the money you could always swap out depending on each pull but that is really more hastle than its worth in my opinion.

Personally I usually pull with AS since it is your second hardest hitting ability so the targets snap right to you, then hit Hammer of the Righteous. If there is a caster in the group throw AS at that one so it will silence them and the will group much nicer. For instance the first big pull in Thrown of Tides, throw the shield to the far left caster while you run to the far right caster will result inthe far left walking over to you and end with all melee and casters withing Hammer range. I have tried pulling with Judgment but as it only hits one person, the first HoT or Bubble to be placed will pull the other adds so you will still be rushing to grab agro on the other adds. On the other hand, fights like Warlord where position is important and range pulling him could easily result in him running to you and throwing off group placement, it is just better to run in and start with CS.

As for rogue adds, I use an addon called taunt master witch will indiacate which party member has aggro on anything and allows me to simple left click to taunt off or right click to aoe taunt. But if you would rather not use too many addons, just watch to see where each add is facing, if they arnt facing you you dont have it, if a dps has it but he is standing next to you...chances are he shouldnt be standing there anyway.

Picking up new adds will epend on what kind they are if you can position yourself between your healer and the incoming adds without turning your back to the boss simply do so and use HoTR as they pass by, if the adds are moving in to fast or they are already at your casters use AS. If you can help it, try and save your actual taunts for real emergencies. AS will be your primary range grabber.

Consecration is crap now compared to what it once was. The onyl times I will use it is if there are more than 3 adds and I am having aggro trouble(which is practically never). And then only if I put up Inquisition. The only other time I will drop it is if the boss needs all the dps we the group can muster so then I drop it without Inquisition up and use the HP for SoTR.

A few tips I would have for a tank just starting out:
    1. Dont let the healer or the dps push you around. Dont put up with their bullshit.
    2. Go at the pace YOU feel comfortable going, no faster.
    3. Be kind to your healer and be concious of their mana pool and how fast they are going through it per pull.
    4. If a DPS pulls before you, obviously they want to tank, let them. Who are you to deny them the joy we experience every day.
    5. If a dps consistantly pulls off of you, ignore it. If they cant learn to control their aggro thats their problem and their repair bill, its not worth the stress.
    6. Push yourself. Try new techneques.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryr View Post
    1. Dont let the healer or the dps push you around. Dont put up with their bullshit.
    2. Go at the pace YOU feel comfortable going, no faster.
    3. Be kind to your healer and be concious of their mana pool and how fast they are going through it per pull.
    4. If a DPS pulls before you, obviously they want to tank, let them. Who are you to deny them the joy we experience every day.
    5. If a dps consistantly pulls off of you, ignore it. If they cant learn to control their aggro thats their problem and their repair bill, its not worth the stress.
    6. Push yourself. Try new techneques.
    This. And also if another player keeps taunting or pulling before you do, pick the mobs off him the first time and tell him he can't do it anymore. Second time you say it again, third time is kick. That is how I do it. Keeps the order as it should be. Don't kick DKs trying to help you with Death Grip though, they are trying to be nice

Deleted
    remember to switch to crusader strike for bosses or single targets it does far superior dam on singles even if hammer is glyphed.
    if you have the tier 2 piece bonus it's more healer friendly to use inquisition instead of SoTR as this will make the absorb sheild you create through judgements 30% larger as well.

glyphing DP is not worth it for 5 mans where the damg is enough of a split between physical and magic.

Now for the dreaded question.

What are some macros that you couldn't live without as a Prot Pally?

15+ Year Old Account
    This one I use just to cut down on the number of buttons I have to push and simplify things quite a bit. So if I am spamming Hammer it keeps Arcane torrent, Holy Shield, Avenging Wrath, and trinkets on CD. Obviously this gives up some measure of precision but I find having to deal less with rotations helps me focus more one raid awareness. I have an identical version to this but for Crusader Strike. Also helps with gaining snap aggro at the start of a fight before Vengeance has a chance to build.
    #showtooltip Hammer of the Righteous
    /cast Holy Shield
    /cast Arcane Torrent
    /cast Avenging Wrath
    /cast Hammer of the Righteous
    /use 10
    /use 6

One tap Bubble, second tap drops bubble. Useful for quickly clearing dots(Or stacks on H Halfus) without losing too much aggro control. Same can be used for Hand of Protection
    #showtooltip Divine Shield
    /cancelaura Divine Shield
    /cast Divine Shield

First tap uses your minor damage reduction CD(Divine Protection) Second tap uses Ardent Defender. It also reverts back to Divine Protection when that ability comes off CD
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=60 Divine Protection, Ardent Defender

Used to check your Combat Table Coverage
    MACRO 16777224 "HitCheck" "Ability_Defend"
    /run b=GetBlockChance() d=GetDodgeChance() p=GetParryChance() m=5 if UnitRace("player")=="Night Elf" then m=m+2 end a=m+d+p+b DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(a.."% Avoidance")

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryr View Post
    This one I use just to cut down on the number of buttons I have to push and simplify things quite a bit. So if I am spamming Hammer it keeps Arcane torrent, Holy Shield, Avenging Wrath, and trinkets on CD. Obviously this gives up some measure of precision but I find having to deal less with rotations helps me focus more one raid awareness. I have an identical version to this but for Crusader Strike. Also helps with gaining snap aggro at the start of a fight before Vengeance has a chance to build.
    #showtooltip Hammer of the Righteous
    /cast Holy Shield
    /cast Arcane Torrent
    /cast Avenging Wrath
    /cast Hammer of the Righteous
    /use 10
    /use 6
    i would advise against just "spaming holy sheild randomly so it's on cd all the time" as using it in this form means you take more damg than you could have.

macro is fine for lazy 5 mans but what use is casting holy sheild now if the boss is in the middle of casting a 2 second cast spell? all you did was waste the sheild for example, -> lightning/frost phase ends on hagra you run up to her and use macro which casts holy sheild -> she is stunned for 10 seconds so you just holy sheild blocked her stun. holy sheild itself also costs mana spaming it like this is gona oom you fast against bosses you don't block or dodge against, eg tyrande the new 5 mans as she just spam casts spells, however the same can orruce from a 0 crusade streak where your having to consecrate on cd as no sheild procs to ease rotation.

I believe both avengers shield glyphs are not valuable in most cases. Dazing the target(s) you are attempting to pull increases the time ranged dps can gain threat on those targets as you lose time gaining threat. I prefer pulling and having the mobs on me asap. As for the glyph that reduces the AS to one target is common sense. A tank's purpose isn't damage - its gaining threat on all mobs. The difference in damage is negligible for threat once you hit them with a second ability. IMO both AS glyphs are for pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
    I've finally got my pally up to level 85 and have started the process of gearing her up and tanking instances. This is my first time trying to tank anything in WoW and it seems really hectic to me right now. My biggest problem is trying to keep up with all the mobs that are being pulled and keeping mobs from breaking out of the pack and going after a DPS. I have read over a couple of the prot pally guides and I feel like I understand the ability priorities and how to gear my character.

A couple of questions that I have:

1. Should I pull with Avenger's Shield? I currently have it glyphed but I am considering removing the glyph for it to hit more targets on the initial pull.

2. What is the best method for targeting mobs that run wild or adds that come about during boss fights?

3. Should I use Consecration at all? I've read where it will drain my mana quickly.

Any tips for a new prot pally would be much appreciated. I am not new to the game but definitely new to the role of tanking!
    Pull with Avengers shield with wings aswell.

Best method ? usually avengers shield.

The use of consecration isnt really needed anymore as threat is set at 500%

Do you guys glyph Divine Protection to use it for magic damage only?
    Depends on the fight. I find it only useful to switch for Heroics though since my healers don't have issues in Normal DS.

I do if they're close enough for all three hits. Otherwise, I'll pull with Judgment and then use Avenger's Shield once they are close enough.

Clicking on nameplates has always worked best for me.
    Kinda depends on you. Without the Hallowed Ground talent, most definitely not. With it... you can, I suppose, though it's not entirely necessary. The amount of threat you gain from it is minimal at best and you should be able to hold aggro just fine without it. I personally take the two points I would spend in Hallowed Ground and put them in Rule of Law (Retribution talent) and just never use Consecration.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleballs View Post
    I believe both avengers shield glyphs are not valuable in most cases. Dazing the target(s) you are attempting to pull increases the time ranged dps can gain threat on those targets as you lose time gaining threat. I prefer pulling and having the mobs on me asap. As for the glyph that reduces the AS to one target is common sense. A tank's purpose isn't damage - its gaining threat on all mobs. The difference in damage is negligible for threat once you hit them with a second ability. IMO both AS glyphs are for pvp.
    I've found, in DS at least, I can make due without a 3 hit. Over the course of a boss encounter, and the relatively short CD of AS + procs, my dps went up quite a bit.

I personally pull with Avengers Shield. I use it Glyphed. Obviously using it on any spell casters as the main target/targets for the shield. While my shield is flying in I run in after it. I follow up with Hammer as soon as I am in the middle of the group. After that I use Holy Wrath (Glyphed). If there are more than four mobs I will follow this up with Consecrate. Using this starting rotation I have never had an aggro issue.

I appreciate all the help that people have given on this thread. I am getting the hang of tanking and rolling through a lot of the instances quite easily now. Most of it is just learning boss mechanics. My next goal is to head into the LFR but I want to make sure my gear is up to par before doing so. I am currently at around 97% avoidance using mastery food and a mastery flask, being an alchemist they are super cheap and easy to make.

I have 2000 valor points and do not know what I should start spending them on to make large gains in my avoidance numbers. Any suggestions as to how to proceed forward would be great. I know the shoulders suck and are not enchanted, I'm starting to run Hour of Twilight every day until Benedictus drops those damn shoulders.

So the question is, what 2-3 pieces of gear should I aim to get next? Most likely via valor points and possibly the LFR.

Here is my armory profile:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...inato/advanced

One safe purchase with VP is a cloak, as no cloaks drop in Dragon Soul so you won't replace it. I also quite like the trinket on my prot pally, as it gives a very hefty chunk of mastery and bumped me up to the 102.4 CTC mark. I actually went with the trinket as my first purchase because it just gave me a gigantic boost in the CTC department.