Random Folders In OS with names like f8g7fjf8fnfkf4

When I try to open them it says you don't currently have permission to access these folders, hit continue to get permanent access to these folders.

There are currently about 16 of them. I opened one of them and it has something in it called MRT, and I tried clicking it, and it says Windows cannot access specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access this file.

Another one of the "sdnnki89uiigiigs folders" has sub folders in it with numeric names like 1030,1031, 1032, etc, and one folder called "Graphics". This same "sdnnki89uiigiigs folder" also has other stuff in it like SteupEngine.dll and SetupUi.xsd

What is all this stuff?

Hi muto,

If you don't mind my questioning, Why are you going through your OS folders to begin with?

To answer your question, there are a number of reasons folders have random names. Firefox, for example, names their AppData folders in such a way to identify individual users settings between windows accounts. They may also be randomly generated to hold temporary data like browsing history or raw update files.

Typically, the majority of them have some short handed name to identify them to the programmers who develop them, their names should be of little concern.

Cheers

EDIT: There are certain things that Windows does to prevent users from breaking things like restricting access to certain files even with Administrative privileges.
    Last edited by EverFX; 2012-01-23 at 09:58 AM.

My "Users" folder is in "OS" so to get to it I have to open "Computer" then "OS"

Also, I mean if these folders are genuinely important, how come Windows doesn't hide them?

Can I make them hidden without affecting what they do?
    Last edited by muto; 2012-01-23 at 10:20 AM.

Ah, I thought you were implying your windows folder or system32 or such.
    Even still, some programs install to the root folder with weird file names and such.

It shouldn't concern you much unless you feel you have a virus or things are acting strangely.

I mean I run Virus scans daily with AVG so I don't think I have a virus, and I use Firefox as well.

Deleted
    Make sure your Windows is up to date, then go to the command prompt and run "mrt /F", and clean anything that it tells you to. Also try running MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.

Let us know if anything is found.

Might be microsoft updates. Sometimes they make weird folders like that.

Deleted
    Probably just temp/cached folders, nothing to worry about

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are logs for sending errors to whoever needs them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Those are logs for sending errors to whoever needs them.
    Im wondering this as well but I have to of these writeprotect dirs on a non system HD.
    On one of my extra hd's (using win7).
    Seems odd they are not on C:
    Wonder if it is safe to delete them.

Edit:
    I dont use a virus scanner on that PC so must be something left over or from current OS.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2012-01-23 at 01:16 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    AVG is trash. Get nod32 version 4.

Posting simply to bash or flame is not allowed on these forums. Please be a little more constructive. Thanks.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-01-23 at 04:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BelziBhaal View Post
    The frequency at which antiviruses become "trash" according to some people (every couple of months basically) makes saying stuff like that a bit silly IMO. It's a marketing gimmick to scare people into repeatedly buying new antiviruses that PROTECT YOUR PC FAR BETTER despite the fact many of its consumers have never had a proper virus/trojan for years anyway. The term "flavor of the month" comes to mind.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-01-23 at 01:22 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Usually those folders are for windows updates. They're typically placed on the drive with the most free space and aren't anything to worry too much about.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by BelziBhaal View Post
    You probably want to provide a bit more information. For example, why you think such.

I have some folders like that on windows xp but there directly in the hard drive, i dont screw with them cause im scared ill fuck something up lol