Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

O_O' Crazy Ass Blood Bank - Experience

Where to start?...

Well, yesterday I made an appointment to donate plasma at a local blood bank. So, I filled out the simple reservation form, and scheduled an appointment for 2:30. About an hour after I made the appointment, I called the center to confirm (I wanted to give their computer/printer time to process it); I did not get an answer.

Today, about an hour before my appointment, I tried to call back, and no one answered, for a second time. So, I didn't think anything of it. I left, giving me time to get there early, by about 20 minuets.

Right off the bat, I was a little alarmed by the building, but I didn't think anything of it. So, I go inside and I'm the third or fourth person waiting in line.

I get to the counter, smile and say, "Hi. I have an appoint made for 2:30."

Immediately, the receptionist chuckles and says, "Baby, I ain't know why you even bothered. We ain't take no appointments, dey need to take dat down from da website."

STOP! OK, so now I'm like "WTF, where am I?!"

I take a second to look around, there are like 50 people in a small waiting room area, all with like 2+ kids each, running around screaming.

"OK, well, how long is the wait?" I asked her.

"Baby, you got like thirteen people ahead of you."

So, I figured I'd sign my name anyway, and sit down. I walk past all those waiting people, with them staring at me, until I find a free seat alllll the way in the back of the seating area. If I need to set the mood a little better, I was the only person in the building I would accept blood from. Everyone in there looked like they were giving blood, so they could go like 2-3 blocks away and buy crack with the money they got.

So, I get to my seat, and start watching what they had on the TV. This... is what threw me over the edge.

THIS scene of 'Final Destination 5', was the first thing I see when I start watching

I KID YOU FUCKING NOT!! I cannot make this this shit up.

I immediately picked up my phone, and pretended someone called me, and walked outside to hear them, and didn't stop walking until I got back home.

Lesson learned: Don't even bother going to an inner-city blood bank, where mind you, complete strangers harvest your blood.

Deleted
    You get money for donating blood?... We only get like a free treat and a pat on the shoulder here. It's more of a "feel good about yourself experince" than a payday.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    You get money for donating blood?... We only get like a free treat and a pat on the shoulder here. It's more of a "feel good about yourself experince" than a payday.
    Well he very well could have been doing it for the feel good part. At least thats what i hope /guilt. Though its a insentive for... people to donate so they can get there.... foo.. pay there ren... bah crack...

OT: I wouldent have even used the phone trick I would have just ran out -_-'

I believe he said plasma which is a little different than donating blood. You can give plasma twice a week as opposed to once ever 6-8 weeks with blood. PLUS they generally pay you $20-30 per visit if they are a legit plasma center. Don't judge, an extra $200 a month definitely came in handy while at uni.

I thought the title said "Crazy Ass Blood Tank"

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I thought the title said "Crazy Ass Blood Tank"
    You aren't the only one.

OT: That's pretty creepy, OP.

i sold plasma twice and found that because of the amount of time it took for me to donate the plasma was less then minimum wage. This made me decide to never do it again.
    Last edited by BigAssBoy; 2012-01-27 at 05:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You did not donate blood at a blood bank, but sold your plasma at a plasma center. Your plasma was not donated because you got paid for it. Your plasma was not used for transfusions, but sterilized and used for cosmetics or medications. In the US, you cannot sell blood that would be used for transfusion, to discourage lying on your medical history questionnaire for cash.

Donate blood, it's actually very easy and you do get a cookie and juice... and that warm feeling of doing something positive.

Also, at a blood bank, you can schedule appointments. You can even get on a call list, so they call with reminders when you become eligible for next donation. You can even volunteer to be the one calling people. Everyone is very friendly and polite, because your only incentive is a cookie and juice.
    Last edited by Felya; 2012-01-27 at 04:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAssBoy View Post
    i sold plasma twice and found that because of the amount of time it took for me to donate the plasma was less then minimum wage. This made me decide to never do it again.
    The wait was like 4 hours just to get started. That also was a deciding factor not to stay.

---------- Post added 2012-01-27 at 01:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    You did not donate blood at a blood bank, but sold your plasma at a plasma center. Your plasma was not donated because you got paid for it. Your plasma was not used for transfusions, but sterilized and used for cosmetics or medications. In the US, you cannot sell blood that would be used for transfusion, to discourage lying on your medical history questionnaire for cash.

Donate blood, it's actually very easy and you do get a cookie and juice... and that warm feeling of doing something positive.

Also, at a blood bank, you can schedule appointments. You can even get on a call list, so they call with reminders when you become eligible for next donation. You can even volunteer to be the one calling people. Everyone is very friendly and polite, because your only incentive is a cookie and juice.
    Actually, you're right, I didn't donate.. ANYTHING, because I left that joint. I don't even get what you're driving at?

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

I can see your discomfort. I donate twice weekly at the center right down the street for $240/month and it's consistently rated among the top centers in the Midwest yet there are still some days where one feels EXTREMELY uncomfortable in there. I mean, for one thing, they always have 1-2 armed officers in there at all times (since it is the heart of an urban area) so that keeps things pretty tame. They also constantly have a janitorial staff keeping it clean.

On the positive side though, they have great hours and the times I go I can get in and out in under an hour and a half. I can study/browse the internet on my Laptop while I do it, so it's definitely worth 4 hours of my time per week. If you are within a reasonable range of a "CSL plasma" I'd recommend using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollet View Post
    I can see your discomfort. I donate twice weekly at the center right down the street for $240/month and it's consistently rated among the top centers in the Midwest yet there are still some days where one feels EXTREMELY uncomfortable in there. I mean, for one thing, they always have 1-2 armed officers in there at all times (since it is the heart of an urban area) so that keeps things pretty tame. They also constantly have a janitorial staff keeping it clean.

On the positive side though, they have great hours and the times I go I can get in and out in under an hour and a half. I can study/browse the internet on my Laptop while I do it, so it's definitely worth 4 hours of my time per week. If you are within a reasonable range of a "CSL plasma" I'd recommend using them.
    You can't donate twice a week for a month...did you mean twice a month? Because they don't let you do that because it's terrible on your heart to do it a lot...especially that much. It is good to do it because it does help your body but only if you do it a little bit. And if they DO take it they are not a top rated center.

in college one time i went to a plasma place to get paid 60 bucks for my plasma. i did this to buy an eighth of weed, but when i got there i changed my mind and didnt give plasma

also, it didnt help when i passed out from getting my finger pricked at the counter.

---------- Post added 2012-01-27 at 04:46 PM ----------

well, there is definitely something wrong with you.

armed officers at a blood bank? really?

The only time I ever see armed policemen in a building here is when they're hungry and buy food... It is completely bizarre to me that such a thing would be necessary (unless there are vampires...)

10+ Year Old Account
    haha yeah I used to donate all the time in college when I was poor and guess what so do all the bum's, drug addicts and social misfits. The only other place that has a higher concentration of miscreants is a GreyHound Bus station.... you want to be creeped the fuck out, head down to one of those sometime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those movies are so retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    You can't donate twice a week for a month...did you mean twice a month? Because they don't let you do that because it's terrible on your heart to do it a lot...especially that much. It is good to do it because it does help your body but only if you do it a little bit. And if they DO take it they are not a top rated center.
    You can legally donate every 4 days or up to 7 times a month, I think. Plasma, we're talking about, not blood.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Those movies are so retarded.
    I completely agree, I just find it insanely ironic that they would play such a thing is a place where they stick a needle in your arm.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is creepy, I would've ran out of there the moment they said they don't take appointments and don't care about their site. That place seemed sketchy as fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is one of those times I am glad I can't give blood. Never have to worry about stuff like that.

I donate plasma fortnightly.
    Been doing it for 5 years now, 2 years of 3monthly blood donations, 3 years of Plasma fortnightly when I turned 18.
    All I get is a drink, and some cheese and biscuits.
    It takes about 2 hours.
    I live in Australia.
    Clearly you guys have no heart, I've done about 70 donations and I'm only 21.