Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Swtor help regarding performance

hey i have a problem i am running swtor on all low on 2560 x 1440, and my fps is about 15-20.

My pc specs:
    intel core i7 2.8 Ghz 860
    8 Gb ram 1333 mhz
    ati readeon hd 4850.
    1 tb hdd

should it not be able to run it on low on that resolution. Before patch 1.1 my fps was about 40.

10+ Year Old Account
    try running it in compatibility mode for windows xp service pack 3

Deleted
    It is an iMac

---------- Post added 2012-01-26 at 01:49 AM ----------

i am running it in bootcamp windows 7 64 bit. just so you don't start flaming mac osx

I would say look at upgrading your video card, I never cared much for aTi myself but not sure where the 4850 sits on the scale of good to bad video cards but typically with an FPS issue that's the first place to start, should be good on the memory and the CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by fc0712 View Post
    hey i have a problem i am running swtor on all low on 2560 x 1440, and my fps is about 15-20.

My pc specs:
    intel core i7 2.8 Ghz 860
    8 Gb ram 1333 mhz
    ati readeon hd 4850.
    1 tb hdd

should it not be able to run it on low on that resolution. Before patch 1.1 my fps was about 40.
    I'll copy and paste a portion of a previous post of mine since you have a very similar system (the only hope is to upgrade your graphics card, if you have a Dell XPS 8100 like I do, the Radeon 6850 will fit in the case and the power supply is sufficient).

I run an i7 860, 8 DDR3, Radeon 6850 video card, drives up to date (even tried the 12.1 preview driver for vid card which is good). I can run about 50 to 60 FPS moving around on most planets. In cities it drops, and in the Imperial Fleet, Warzones and Ilum it becomes barely playable with slow FPS and lots of stutters.

There are all sorts of issues and tweeks to try to improve this game, I can list some of them for you. Graphic performance "tricks":

1- each time you log in, set all of your graphics to the preset "high" setting option, apply it, then lower your settings.
    2- turn off shadows and Vertical sync. They are huge performance hits.
    3- Add this to the .ini file: "FarClipScale = 0.10000000149" This was in during beta and removed. It significantly reduces your view distance, which means your system is doing less rendering.
    4- Restart the game client every 3 hours.
    5- google and install GameBooster 3. It's freeware and widely known. It will shut down unnecessary processes and background programs which are not needed while you game, freeing up your hardware. It's easy and handy, and worthwhile.
    6- Try the 12.1 preview driver for the Catalyst Control Center, AMD drivers.
    7- FORCE AA using Catalyst Control Center and do not use the in game AA settings. My system--along with many other posters on private gaming forums--runs better using the 4x or 8x AA through Catalyst Control with the in game Anti Alias off.
    8- drop your screen resolution, try it at lower settings.

Good luck. None of these are cures to this graphics engine. They might in total reduce some of the frustration.
    Last edited by Standing; 2012-01-26 at 02:46 AM.

Running in XP Sp3 compability mode with Aero turned off makes a diference, for me it did, also since u have 8Gb of ram, turn off the page file

It is an iMac

---------- Post added 2012-01-26 at 01:49 AM ----------

i am running it in bootcamp windows 7 64 bit. just so you don't start flaming mac osx
    It is an iMac
    iMac
    Mac
    Looks like I found your problem.

VM + MMO = welcome to troubleshooting.

I was running on a 4850 mid/high settings but a lower resolution and getting better fps than that. Try to bump the resolution down a bit and make sure shadow is low or off as I found the 4850 couldnt take the shadow without a major loss in fps.

Deleted
    i got 40-50 fps on 1920x1080 but the image looks so bad because it is not native res. what should i do?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I lack any experience with Mac's running Windows in boot camp but here are a few things I can think of off hand.

-Make sure drivers are updated inside the virtual machine also, no sense updating Mac drivers if your virtual machine can't utilize them.
    -Lower screen resolution (That GPU will struggle with that screen resolution while gaming.) Test and assess, just have to keep checking with various resolutions to see which one performs well and looks good.

Aside from some performance issues attributed to the Mac VM client, I would recommend upgrading the video card if you can. The 4850 is only meant for resolutions 1080p or below and will start to chug at anything higher. As well turn off shadows as they will be the biggest performance gain. Even with my 6970, turning shadows off gained me 20+ fps.

Just uninstall the game, it's fucking rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    I lack any experience with Mac's running Windows in boot camp but here are a few things I can think of off hand.

-Make sure drivers are updated inside the virtual machine also, no sense updating Mac drivers if your virtual machine can't utilize them.
    -Lower screen resolution (That GPU will struggle with that screen resolution while gaming.) Test and assess, just have to keep checking with various resolutions to see which one performs well and looks good.
    Bootcamp isnt a virtual machine. Its just a software made by Apple so Windowscan boot bypassing the native Mac bootloader thinking its a standard bios.

Bootcamp isnt a emulator or a "virtualizator" if u will

A Bootcamped Mac running Windows its just as a normal 100% PC, with the pros and cons of any other PC

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=fc0712;15219107]It is an iMac[COLOR="red"]

Well there is your problem

Mod Warning. Don't brand bash. Either contribute constructively or don't post at all.

- Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-01-27 at 01:12 AM.

Haha mods on this site a fucking power hungry aren't they?

If you want to discuss moderator actions please take it to private messages or contact one of the super admin's.

- Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-01-27 at 02:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Upgrade ur video card to a 5k or 6k series, pref 68XX/58XX. Turn off shadows all the way, turn off bloom.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Norg View Post
    Upgrade ur video card to a 5k or 6k series, pref 68XX/58XX. Turn off shadows all the way, turn off bloom.
    User's computers is a Mac. You can't upgrade the graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    User's computers is a Mac. You can't upgrade the graphics.
    Get better informed please its 2nd time you say stuff you dont know about Macs,

The user has a Mac with a 4850 card, wich means his mac is desktop. The AMD/ATI 4850 isnt integrated so only comes in form of a PCIex discrete card, he just opens the mac removes the card and puts the other one. If he is too afraid to do it he can take the Mac to a Apple provider and ask them to do it for him.

Ppl need to realize once and for all that actual Macs are just like PCs with intel cpus, same ram, same cards exact same hardware just higher price and OSX
    Last edited by Hellfury; 2012-01-27 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Ppl need to realize once and for all that actual Macs are just like PCs with intel cpus, same ram, same cards exact same hardware just higher price and OSX
    Lol.. wow..

Why even be a mac then? For OSX? Why not just use Windows and have access to literally every program in existence instead of being horribly restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
    Lol.. wow..

Why even be a mac then? For OSX? Why not just use Windows and have access to literally every program in existence instead of being horribly restricted.
    Because it makes them feel special.