Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Recommend me an MMO

I'm hyped for Guild Wars 2 and want an MMO to play until it comes out. I'm done with WoW so don't say that. Also nothing with a monthly sub, so rule out SW:TOR as well. I'd prefer a free-to-play, maybe a one-time-play if it looks good enough.

See my post here in the TOR vs WOW vs RIFT thread.

Short answer, I've played all 3 and recommend Rift as of Jan 2012. They're all good games, but I think Rift provides more value with the subscription and is more innovative at this point.

15+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars, DC Universe Online, Age of Conan, City of Heroes, Lord of the Rings Online

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post

Short answer, I've played all 3 and recommend Rift as of Jan 2012. They're all good games, but I think Rift provides more value with the subscription and is more innovative at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    ... Also nothing with a monthly sub ...
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post

Did you read his OP? He said he doesn't want a subscription.

OP, I recommend Vindictus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jartin View Post
    I concur, Vindictus is pretty damn fun.

Also Champions Online/DCUO is nice for a change of scenery. EQ2 is another pretty good one.

Star Trek Online just gone F2P. While it requires a specific mindset (lol) I find it very good.

DCUO is ok, I played it for Ps3, it kept me busy for about 4 days. Till I got to the point where my quest led me to kill an elite. It was too difficut for myself alone, I didn't really want to group up with people, and I just lost interest in the game.

Rift is cool, but as it has a subcription it is out of your choice. But for £12, you could get a special edition copy (off Steam) and grab yourself 30 free days (with the 10 day free trial for lvl 1-20 ontop). That could keep you busy till end of Feb.

LOTRO is pretty cool, I played it for a short while though. I was hooked up into WoW to pay to much attention to the game.

Only game I can say not to play is APB Reloaded. Terrible free MMO game.

edit:
    I'm downloading that now. It looks like Tera style game play. So will be something to try out.
    Last edited by Kosic; 2012-01-26 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jartin View Post
    Did you read his OP? He said he doesn't want a subscription.

You're right i missed it. my bad

FWIW, i maintain both a DCUO and LOTRO account for MMO purposes when not subscribed (or for a change of pace). DCUO is only really playable if you have an x-box style controller ... at least I found it easier to play.

Deleted
    DCUO is free with levels of membership you can buy.

It's a fun game, I really enjoyed it but it's just kinda underated/underplayed.

If you're into Strategy check out Starcraft 2, that'll keep you busy. Certainly did me :P

10+ Year Old Account
    http://mmohuts.com/gamelist

Giant list of mmo-s.
    Your welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by StenchSlash View Post
    http://mmohuts.com/gamelist

Giant list of mmo-s.
    Your welcome.
    Listing every MMO in existence helps no one.

I'm going to toss out another recommendation for Vindictus. It definitely seems to be the best MMO I've tried of its like, and it's free so... Have fun!

Another vote for Vindictus, a great change of pace from your standard MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Listing every MMO in existence helps no one.
    It's not just a list.
    Every mmo on that list is reviewed, so that site actually recommends the games.
    So hah!

Quote Originally Posted by StenchSlash View Post
    It's not just a list.
    Every mmo on that list is reviewed, so that site actually recommends the games.
    So hah!
    That's like throwing the entire Netflix catalogue at someone when they ask you to recommend them a movie.

Still not helpful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feenix 1.12.1

Downloading vindictus right now!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ddo is ok but wierd after playing WoW. I tried runes of magic and Allods online and they are ok.

Aion is going free to play in February. No harm in trying it for a couple of days. Worse case scenario, you didnt like the game but you are a few days closer to GW2 release.

vindictus is going thru login issues, players cannot login from 3 days lol

Keep in mind Vindictus (and other Nexon games) are restricted to USA/Canada only.
    You wont be able to play otherwise.
    I'm only saying this because someone recommended me this very game and loved the videos and then I couldn't even play it. After a little research I found this. Unlucky me for living in South America :/

Edit: And I think they released it on Europe aswell!
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.