Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to end up rolling all of them, at picking my main from what I enjoy most. There was one point where I was sure I was going to be a Charr Thief, but with the release of the Mesmer and other videos of other classes, I'm having second guesses.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, considering that Arenanet has specifically stated they don't want you to pick a class because of what roles it fills but instead how you like each profession thematically. I am a protector, however I have had a major disconnect in wow because of that. I hate healing and tanking used to be fun, but they killed it for me in cata and it looks to be even worse in mop. With a guardian I can be a protector but I am not forced into any role. I can toss out heals, buffs, cleanse debuffs and still smack people around. It will be glorious to truly protect people around me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Well, considering that Arenanet has specifically stated they don't want you to pick a class because of what roles it fills but instead how you like each profession thematically. I am a protector, however I have had a major disconnect in wow because of that. I hate healing and tanking used to be fun, but they killed it for me in cata and it looks to be even worse in mop. With a guardian I can be a protector but I am not forced into any role. I can toss out heals, buffs, cleanse debuffs and still smack people around. It will be glorious to truly protect people around me.
    Not only that, I wont be bogged down by NEEDING a freaking shield to do it. I HATED the need for a shield in order to tank. If i was able to tank with a 2h as a paladin, i would probably have played protection instead of ret. Glad they got rid of that requirement as well, even though shield has its own skillset, I wont feel like I need it in order to help out.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    Personal coolness factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

My question then for you my friends is;
    How do you approach the profession choice in GW2 where these factors are, mostly, obsolete? Which factors or aspects do you value highest?
    My approach is such: Oh that [INSERT PROFESSION NAME] seems to have fun mechanics and [INSERT PROFESSION NAME] outfits looks really cool. Yea, playing.

I think fun is a pretty good motivator in video games.

Thief because of the initiative mechanic.
    Mesmer because it is -the- Guild Wars profession. You don't see it anywhere else.

Haven't looked into any other professions because I don't intend on playing more than two characters.

pick the one that has the coolest sound effects since you will be spending a lot of time hearing them. the choice of profs is really that much more experience-centric than it is role-centric. iow, choose the one that seems most fun.

whatever you do, don't limit yourself to just one

Quote Originally Posted by Craind View Post
    Mesmer because it is -the- Guild Wars profession. You don't see it anywhere else.
    To be fair there were controller classes in other MMOs before and since Mesmers. Though they all lacked that.. style of the Mesmer. The original class trinity was "Tank, Heals and Control"

Best clothes, Mesmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    To be fair there were controller classes in other MMOs before and since Mesmers. Though they all lacked that.. style of the Mesmer. The original class trinity was "Tank, Heals and Control"

Best clothes, Mesmer.
    And in D&D's fourth edition, although it isn't an MMO, has four roles: Defender, Leader, Striker, and Controller.

Personally, I'll be going for Necromancer. Why, you ask? Because Necromancer.
    Last edited by Umbra; 2012-01-28 at 07:54 PM.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

Deleted
    First time poster long time lurker here.

I feel as far as GW2 goes with the lack of the trinity, you should go with something you know for you first launch selection. Use previous experience to help and guide you.
    Ive played Rogue (thief) and Hunter (ranger) in other games over the last few years. So naturally Im drawn to those in this game too. Mainly due to knowing some "tricks" which should hopefully translate over, as far as PvP goes.

With the lack of dps meters and other features, hopefully the game community should feel more inclined to help eachother and share what they have learnt. Personaly I think no matter what class you pick, you will be responisble for your own suvival. Beyond that, its just a matter of not dragging the 5man groups down in the dungeons.

I will be playing a Ranger, just need to get those special pets from the HoM now, back to the grind

Keep up the good work here in the GW2 forum, best community Ive seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    And in D&D's fourth edition, although it isn't an MMO, has four roles: Defender, Leader, Striker, and Controller.

Personally, I'll be going for Necromancer. Why, you ask? Because Necromancer.
    I know but DnD 4.0 is kinda bad attempt at copying video game mechanics that proved more popular than PnP. XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    First time poster long time lurker here.
    Welcome aboard

Just for the record I am going for bruiser style. Balance of survivability, dps and cc ... with backup full defense spec if ever necessary. Either warrior or guardian.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Algor View Post
    Hello fellow gamers!

I am fairly certain that I'm not the only one spending too much of the ol' spare time on the GW2 site and watching youtube clips trying to figure out what profession to play in this upcoming blockbuster =) Personally I have always chosen my profession (class) based on archetype or major role to play in the multiplayer elements of the game, which usually boils down to DPS, tank, healer or buffer or the odd hybrid with a mix of the before mentioned.

My question then for you my friends is;
    How do you approach the profession choice in GW2 where these factors are, mostly, obsolete? Which factors or aspects do you value highest?

Please speak your minds freely, any thoughts, ideas or just information of any kind will be highly appreciated!

Best regards,
    Algor
    It's fairly simple. The lack of the trinity opens the options by removing one question (i.e., What role do I want to play?), but it does not change the fundamental question of play style. You do not necessarily begin WoW by picking a role, but generally by picking a class and its play style, as well as its potential roles to which it has available. If you pick a "Pure DPS Class" (e.g., hunter, mage, rogue, warlock) then you still have to decide on which class and spec has your preferred play style. The same is true for the other combat roles (tanking, healing). My thought process does not change with regard to profession selection in GW2; I choose by my play style preferences. Play style in GW2 professions do not just vary between professions but also within professions through the weapon choice, with every class also having ranged and melee options. I look at what sort of classes I usually enjoy playing, as well as their class tool kits and abilities. Then I look at the GW2 professions and see what best fits with my preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I know but DnD 4.0 is kinda bad attempt at copying video game mechanics that proved more popular than PnP. XD
    Personally, I enjoyed playing 4e moreso than I did 3.5, which are the two editions I've played. (Late on the bandwagon, I know.) It gives the melées something more to do than just smacking people around with their basic attacks.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

Deleted
    I pick whatever I think is the coolest. Is what I tend to do with these kinds of games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Ppl say there is no trinity and it's true to an extent, but the role of taking damage, supporting group and dealing damage is still part of the gameplay.
    But who does what will change from moment to moment - when people talk about the trinity it usually means that one player is the nominated tank, one player is the nominated healer etc etc. In GW2 this won't be the case.

In answer to the OP - for me it's about what fires my imagination...I have a soft spot for tricky-type classes. Mesmer really sings to me...followed by engineer.
    Last edited by mmoc1be39d8ac1; 2012-01-28 at 11:06 PM.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    The removal of the holy trinity gives players the choice of freedom of aesthetics. Do you prefer to hit things with a sword? Or perhaps a big mace? Or maybe you prefer strategizing and laying traps. Or maybe you love standing up on a hill and nuking you enemy.

I'm going to play a Guardian. This is because I enjoy "Paladin" archetype classes, and in most/some other games Paladins are a joke for a few reasons. Either they're plain not taken seriously or told you "go to the back and heal." I'm going to enjoy playing a class that can be as versatile as a guardian.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always find my self lost when creating a character. The role I want to play depends on the mood I'm in, so depending on the class I like I could need up to 3 different characters just to fulfill that need. Which is a bummer for me because I dont really like to have to focus on multiple characters at a time. I really hope gw2 can help remedy that and let me choose a character based on feel, look, and stuff.

I hope that was coherent enough for you guys, I just had surgery and I'm on some pretty heavy antibiotics and they make me zone out hard lol. Loving the look of this game!

Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    But who does what will change from moment to moment - when people talk about the trinity it usually means that one player is the nominated tank, one player is the nominated healer etc etc. In GW2 this won't be the case.
    Yes, but the skill selection and armor you enter the fight with will make you more capable in certain role. Ofc with all the weapon/attunement switching this may not actually be so true. Going from 2h mad man into patient tank wall, from fiery demon into hardy stone golem ... o boy that may be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    I'm going to play a Guardian. This is because I enjoy "Paladin" archetype classes, and in most/some other games Paladins are a joke for a few reasons. Either they're plain not taken seriously or told you "go to the back and heal." I'm going to enjoy playing a class that can be as versatile as a guardian.
    In my mind there are two kinds of paladins ... a) Melee fighter with some magical abilities/resistances ala baldurs gate b) The healer/tank/melee full blown universal ala WoW paladin. I am curious to see what will the GW2 version be; b) or a) or something inbetween or completelly out of the box kind of style

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.