Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Word Pedantic

Is anybody else as sick of this word as I am? It certainly has it's uses, but it seems like any time two people get into a big forum brawl, one person inevitably ends up accusing the other of being pedantic. Most over used word on the internet imo.

Nope. But I am sick of hyperbole. Most overused tactic on the internet, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I see what you did there! Very clever!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes! That one and "straw man" are so annoying. It's like the poster just slapped on a monocle and is dismissing everything with those two terms.

It's very pedantic IMO.

Deleted
    I find this thread rather shallow and pedantic.

I like discussions being pedantic in all honesty.

I'd rather the details got discussed as opposed to being glossed over and dismissed out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Yes! That one and "straw man" are so annoying. It's like the poster just slapped on a monocle and is dismissing everything with those two terms.

It's very pedantic IMO.
    Ha! Strawman is actually a good term when someone is Strawmanning. :P I don't think calling someone on Strawmanning is pedantic.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just a matter of time before someone posts a picture of James May in here.

I refuse to, but it will happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    I find this thread rather shallow and pedantic.
    I was about to say I can't see that word without hearing it said by Peter in his 'classy' voice. xD

OT: I have never noticed pedantic used in forum flaming. It seems like to 'big' a word for most of the bickering types.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    OT: I have never noticed pedantic used in forum flaming. It seems like to 'big' a word for most of the bickering types.
    Keep your eyes out! I know it sounds like I'm the crazy guy in one of those conspiracy movies, but once I noticed it, I saw it everywhere. Just try searching on MMO-champ. There's like 500 results! The word asshole, which is I imagine is what most people mean when they tell somebody they're being pedantic only has 295 results!
    Last edited by Beavis; 2012-02-03 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Adding some pedantic stats!

I had to look up 2 words to find out what pedantic means and I still don't know what it means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    I had to look up 2 words to find out what pedantic means and I still don't know what it means.
    Well, if you want to be pedantic about it, it means you're being a know-it-all douchebag for the sake of being a know-it-all douchebag.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Well, if you want to be pedantic about it, it means you're being a know-it-all douchebag for the sake of being a know-it-all douchebag.
    Well kind of. It could also be going after someone's argument because they placed the comma in the wrong place, altering what they wanted to say. Paying attention to extremely small details and disregarding all else.

oh ok lol. i looked it up and pedantic said "of or lacking pedant". wtf is that shit lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it just meant being annoyingly picky with details

Edit:
    Well kind of. It could also be going after someone's argument because they placed the comma in the wrong place, altering what they wanted to say. Paying attention to extremely small details and disregarding all else.
    ^pretty much this
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

10+ Year Old Account
    That's definitely true as well, but I figure that's kind of being a know-it-all douchebag.

10+ Year Old Account
    The act of being pedantic has it's uses:

1. Incredibly fun when done on purpose while drunk.
    2. ESPECIALLY fun when done on purpose while drunk, and discussing/arguing with other drunks who are pedantic on purpose.

Great fun. ^^
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Original post

Is anybody else as sick of this word as I am? It certainly has it's uses, but it seems like any time two people get into a big forum brawl, one person inevitably ends up accusing the other of being pedantic. Most over used word on the internet imo.
    Post after "pedantic" fix

aaaaaaaaaaaa
    bbbbbb
    ccccc
    dddddd
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    fff
    gggg
    hhhhh
    IIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    kk
    llllll
    mmmmmm
    nnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    oooooooooooooooo
    ppppp
    rrrrrrrrr
    sssssssssssssssss
    tttttttttttttttttt
    uuuuuu
    vv
    wwww
    yyyyy
    <_______________________________________________> /these are spaces if you didn't guess.*

?
    /discuss

--edit--
    Crap, forum "ate" all empty space and I had to replace space " " with "_".
    Last edited by RadmaKanow; 2012-02-03 at 10:39 AM. Reason: forum tricked me

Deleted
    Keep your eyes out! I know it sounds like I'm the crazy guy in one of those conspiracy movies, but once I noticed it, I saw it everywhere. Just try searching on MMO-champ. There's like 500 results! The word asshole, which is I imagine is what most people mean when they tell somebody they're being pedantic only has 295 results!
    Bizarre. Well, now you've made me aware of it I'll keep my eyes peeled! =P

Pedantry is something of a fallback option on this board for a lot of people.