Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    Somehow I sincerely doubt that he is in the majority being fine with a sad/unhappy ending. A vast majority of the complaints (that I have seen) regarding 'closure' is that we don't get to see what happens to all the characters after the end Dragon Age: Origins-style, and that is a happy ending if anything.
    As he points out closure and happy are two very different things.

All you see in the current ending is crewmates magically teleporting to the Normandy which is currently in the relay system for some reason. Then survive being pulled out of ftl (according to codex this causes ships to be ripped apart) then survive crash landing on a random planet with Joker being fine even with brittle bone disease.

That's without going into the rest of the ending which I won't go into again here, as while opinion on it is divided I really can't stand for many reasons highlighted in that blog.

Somehow I sincerely doubt that he is in the majority being fine with a sad/unhappy ending. A vast majority of the complaints (that I have seen) regarding 'closure' is that we don't get to see what happens to all the characters after the end Dragon Age: Origins-style, and that is a happy ending if anything.
    Seriously indicating that closure is a happy ending is asanine. I mean on some level it has to be happy, we successfully kill the reapers but that doesn't mean our resolution is personally happy to the characters we became emotionally invested in. Just putting together some random scenes with no clue what happens isn't closure it isn't happy or sad, it is simply incompetent writing.

This is the way I see it. I love happy endings, (I feel like I'm in the minority in that regard these days lol) DBZ is my favorite show ever after all, and DBZ's most bittersweet moments are still happier than a room full of puppies.

I would have greatly enjoyed a happy ending to ME3. But, I hate nonsense endings more than I enjoy happy endings. I prefer a he dies, she dies, everybody dies, ending to an ending of buttfuckery and that's exactly what we got with ME3. Endings that don't provide closure and just leave things open are in my opinion the worst thing ever. There is no catharsis, in fact there's some kind of magical anti-catharsis that leaves me more and more unsatisfied the more I think about it. I'm looking at you Code Geass ending. Happy or sad, an ending should leave you feeling satisfied, it should feel like the end.

I thought about the ending of ME1 long and hard before ME2 came out. I knew ME2 must introduce a radical new concept to the universe, or we were fucked. When I played ME2, and saw that in the grand scheme of things, it was filler, ME3's ending became very predictable. I knew BioWare had written themselves into a corner. The Reapers had been written to be too powerful, and there was only 4 possible resolutions to the story.

1. Halo copout. Giant superweapon used to destroy the Reapers. This would have felt very very cheap to me.
    2. Deus Ex Machina. This is what we got, and was the ending I was hoping to avoid the most.
    3.Victory via conventional combat. I believed, (and still do) that the Reapers are too strong to be beaten in this way. This is the ending I was hoping for, but I knew that for it to happen the Reapers would have had to have been written poorly or even retconned.
    4. Reapers win. This is my second favorite potential ending. Straight up, no matter what you do, no matter what choices you make, there is one ending, Reapers kick your ass.

1 And 2 are retarded, and we somehow got elements of both. But, I could have even dealt with those, suspension of disbelief and all that. The real problem to me, is that the ending is short and cheap. I wouldn't call the ending of DA:O fluffy bunny happy, but damn did that game have closure! I loved how, (if you survived) you had that banquet at the end where you got to talk to all your party members, and the lengthy text based epilogue explaining the long term consequences of your actions was great. Another good point for DA:O is that the ending was consistent. You do exactly what you set out to. Your choices even have a significant impact on the final battle. And honestly, I would argue that ME is more about choice than DA is.

Sure, I'd love a happy ending. But if a happy ending was just as nonsense and short as the current endings we have I'd hate it almost as much.

Deleted
    !

BEST SAVE IMPORT EVER XD

15+ Year Old Account
    I went into ME3 expecting a sad ending, or at least a neutral one. All I got was confusing. While seeing what happens to everyone would be awesome I didn't need that stuff. I just needed to know as much as I could about the ending and what happens with the ending. But instead you are left with crazy fan theories and gaping plot holes.

And all Bioware says is we are working on it for April and the future. Its not like all the endings even make sense. You go from your choices on the citadel which may or may not be fake. To seeing mass relays explode in a lot of systems which according to Arrival DLC kills everything in the star system. Remember you are under house arrest at the start because of killing an entire batarian system. Then you jump to the Normandy fleeing the relay explosions mid-jump and they magically get thrown out right at a inhabitable planet. And you can even have a squad mate you brought with you magically appear back on the ship. Which implies the normandy flew down to earth picked up the squad and left without you.

All I want in an ending is something that has no plot holes, and explains everything shown in the ending. This ending was meant to be an end to the Shepard story so it should have ended it. It shouldn't have had cliffhangers for DLC.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    BEST SAVE IMPORT EVER XD
    Who can destroy the galaxy faster, the Reapers or Blonde Shepard? It's a pretty close race.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    Who can destroy the galaxy faster, the Reapers or Blonde Shepard? It's a pretty close race.
    I loved the "oops..." annotation while Kelly was melting

Deleted

BEST SAVE IMPORT EVER XD
    ROFL. That had to take some planning.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the "oops..." annotation while Kelly was melting
    yea without the annotations it would have been rather meh imo

15+ Year Old Account
    So just had to say....I'm playing Tera with my music in the background and Mass Effect 3's soundtrack comes up. I start tearing up because I realize its the music that starts playing when you're sitting with Anderson and he tells you he's proud of you. Fuuuuuuu. Goddamnit Bioware, not even playing the game I'm crying.

Deleted
    Really decent game. I can't get all the QQ about the ending. It wasnt that good but wasn't that bad either. After al 9/10 from me. Impressive game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Handofbloood View Post
    Really decent game. I can't get all the QQ about the ending. It wasnt that good but wasn't that bad either. After al 9/10 from me. Impressive game.
    http://jmstevenson.wordpress.com/201...mass-effect-3/

Also hate how you don't get to see any of the optional war assets...

Yeah, me toooo. I loved how they used Marauder Shields as comic relief in an self-ironic attempt to hinder us from experiencing this pathetic, utterly disgusting ending.

edit: sarcasm off
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

The game's not decent, it's incredible. The ending just sucks a fat one. I've explained a few times in this thread why I hate the ending, and if you're willing to learn, I'm willing to put in the effort to explain it again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    The game's not decent, it's incredible. The ending just sucks a fat one. I've explained a few times in this thread why I hate the ending, and if you're willing to learn, I'm willing to put in the effort to explain it again.
    +1 from here.

I loved the game and I've played it through a couple times already. It's just the ending that left me puzzled.

I agree with this. Great game...except for the last 10 minutes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its a good game, no doubt about it. But it could have been a lot better and not just in the ending department. For one they could have had a lot more side missions, instead of the few they had. Part of the fun of mass effect was just stumbling on random stuff that needed to be done. But all of the scaning to find stuff was essentially a game of hide and seek for Citadel quests or credits.

Its a great game but not incredible in my opinion. It easily could have been at incredible but it loses some of the charm of the previous titles.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The atmosphere was maybe a bit dark at times for my tastes, but that fit perfectly with the theme/story line of ME3 and I really enjoyed the game. Only thing that I found a bit lacking in the game proper is the total lack of attention paid to the salarians. I mean I get it that we focus on getting the krogan on board because that is what the turians demand, but I would have loved at least one or two side missions focused on mending fences if you went the rather logical way of curing the genophage. In addition the quarian/geth conflict felt a bit short compared to the turian/krogan part, but was still very nicely done.

Despite the dark tone I even enjoyed the final act of the story. Chasing Cerberus and finally the desperate push for Earth felt really intense. Up to that point I would really have loved to replay the game several times just to see different outcomes to several of the decisions I had made. And then came the end which seems to make it all pointless ....

It's not so much that all three endings feel like different kinds of bad endings, although I would have prefered some shot at a more or less happy ending, but they lack to really answer the important questions ... What happed to our comrades ? What exact outcome did we achieve for the galaxy etc.

Deleted
    Tried following the ME twitter for some reason, gave up after a while when they only respond to people saying they loved the ending/trust they'll do the right thing/suggest dlc for me2 characters...

Thresher Maw vs Reaper destroyer is one of the coolest things I've ever scene. I just sat there watching it in awe, possibly my favorite moment in Mass Effect. I would of killed to see Javik riding it(I guess there to big in this cycle?), but I guess they didn't want to be to much like Dune lol.

"Now all we need is a gun that fires Thresher maws"

---------- Post added 2012-03-25 at 07:38 PM ----------

http://jmstevenson.wordpress.com/201...mass-effect-3/

Also hate how you don't get to see any of the optional war assets...
    That kills me too. I go around the galaxy getting all these optional super squads. Yet come the final mission, are they on the ground, no. All you have is hammer team which is the earth resistance, and a couple turians and krogan and one asari. WHERE ARE MY GROUND TROOPS?! The entire reaper fleet is distracted!
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-03-26 at 01:10 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune