10+ Year Old Account
    Complaining about the realism in Mass Effect's combat system seems rather misguided. I know what you mean, it's just that I'm not worrying about whether or not rockets are breaking through a crate when I'm shooting black holes at people.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I have never read Dune, so that example doesn't apply to me. I mentioned the Halo thing because I actually knew about it at the time when I first played ME2, so I made an immediate connection with the event. That sounds more like 1980s mystical sci-fi to me though, not modern sci-fi heavily grounded in science. And I doubt that would make sense to me unless that was just like a thing in Dune. But then I would consider Dune an unrealistic setting, so it wouldn't matter. With Mass Effect, I have always considered it as grounded in realism to a point.
    The last two books of the Dune series were not written by the original author. But by his son and a friend using some notes that his father had left behind about where he wanted to go in the future. Hence that crappy merging at the end involving Duncan, it was totally out of place. Although I'm sure that's where Frank was heading, he would of put it together much, much better. Dune is actually really science and reality based with a touch of philosophy and religion for the first 6 books, but when his son takes over it definitely takes a turn. The last two I barely even consider Dune. The only really farfetched concepts in the universe are the spice and cellular memory. Which is comparable to element zero in ME3. Element zero leads to some pretty crazy effects, just like the spice.

As a huge Dune fan, I saw that whole conversation and it hurt. I just had to comment on it even though its like 10 pages after lol. Haven't been to this thread in awhile.

OT: I cannot wait for Leviathan. I always get so excited for post release DLC in ME. Probably because they are always just pure badassery with amazing new music.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-08-25 at 04:44 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Complaining about the realism in Mass Effect's combat system seems rather misguided. I know what you mean, it's just that I'm not worrying about whether or not rockets are breaking through a crate when I'm shooting black holes at people.
    True, but I want to play Mass Effect, not a watered down Gears of War.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yah I'm for this. Any shooter you play is plagued by unrealistic behavior, it has to be or else you would be dead every time from one shot, explosion...etc.... FPS or TPS, they are always unrealistic elements.

In FPS's, why am I walking sideways everywhere? Why can't I peak around a corner and not have to totally expose myself by strafing out(ah the good ole days of goldeneye)?
    In TPS's, why is there cover absolutely everywhere? Why doesn't the cover receive damage? Why can't I strafe?

Personally I prefer the logic of a TPS. Much more realistic combat, I'm not just going to stand in front of a guy with my whole body and shoot like in FPS's. I'm going to grab some cover to protect myself. I'd rather have cover that doesn't get damaged, then not being able to peek around corners and have to stafe at every turn. I also hate having zero peripheral vision in a FPS. You can't see what's coming on your left or right, when in real life you can see the sides a bit.

---------- Post added 2012-08-25 at 01:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by raist474 View Post
    True, but I want to play Mass Effect, not a watered down Gears of War.
    I totally agree about the lack of conversation options. I just recently went back and played KOTOR 1 and 2. They have really dumbed down conversation options one game at a time since those ones. To what we have now in SWTOR and ME3. Good option, bad option, middle option. There were some things in KOTOR 2 I'd literally have 7 different options on what to say and there was no auto dialogue. Sometimes I wish they would go back to the system where your character isn't voiced. Just so we can have all the options again.

You'd rather go back to the crate walls(mazes) that are taller then you, stupidly long skinny hallways and carbon copied side mission maps from ME1? It was all about corners in ME1 I agree. Because in every room crates were taller then you for some reason. How is that any more realistic? The crates in the rooms wouldn't even fit through the doors to them.

Go to 8:00 and watch for a few min. You honestly prefer fighting like that? I can't stand it when I go back to play ME1. To each his own though.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-08-25 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Quote Originally Posted by raist474 View Post

It was the only good conversation in the game, and even then it had too much auto dialog. I was hoping for a good mind puzzle for the final encounter, but we all know how that turns out.
    Not really. Most of Tuchanka had some good stuff to. Learning about history of Krogan for one. Lot's of conversations on the citadel as well. Or talking to Javik. Javik has a very interesting and unique point of view. Or on Thessia in the temple. They talk about pattens beyond the reaper cycle.

Theirs lots of intellectual and heady stuff to experience in the game, even if they reduced how much input you get into it.

---------- Post added 2012-08-25 at 06:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    The last two books of the Dune series were not written by the original author. But by his son and a friend using some notes that his father had left behind about where he wanted to go in the future. Hence that crappy merging at the end involving Duncan, it was totally out of place. Although I'm sure that's where Frank was heading, he would of put it together much, much better. Dune is actually really science and reality based with a touch of philosophy and religion for the first 6 books, but when his son takes over it definitely takes a turn. The last two I barely even consider Dune. The only really farfetched concepts in the universe are the spice and cellular memory. Which is comparable to element zero in ME3. Element zero leads to some pretty crazy effects, just like the spice.

As a huge Dune fan, I saw that whole conversation and it hurt. I just had to comment on it even though its like 10 pages after lol. Haven't been to this thread in awhile.

OT: I cannot wait for Leviathan. I always get so excited for post release DLC in ME. Probably because they are always just pure badassery with amazing new music.
    I'm a huge Dune fan myself and I'm not quite sure why people have a problem with the ending in dune. Like the elements of philosophy and science are still in the later dune books their just not as esoteric. In fact the end of the book they have this wonderful debate about what to do with the machine empire. The problems with the Butleherian Jihad and how wrong draconian measures like the Jihad are. Like arguable my favourite is God Emperor of Dune because the conversations with Leto are extremely fascinating. But their also extremely esoteric I feel and not something everybody can get into.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-08-25 at 06:35 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorage View Post
    With the recent buffs, it is probably more than enough at rank 1 to farm Firebase White Geth on a Human Engineer. (Seriously, how fucking nice is that drone? Got 3 Primes mesmerized with it on a gold match myself today. On other times, I can yell "FOR PONY!" and send a detonation specced drone to its death.)
    Absolutely love that little drone. It makes everyone turn around to shoot it and sets up ridiculous amounts of tech burst.

Deleted

Never Knew you could get Cortez to let go of his husband and visit the citadel Oo, heck he went to the purgatory lol.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Confined View Post
    Never Knew you could get Cortez to let go of his husband and visit the citadel Oo, heck he went to the purgatory lol.
    Uh yeah, you do that and he survives the events on Earth
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    You'd rather go back to the crate walls(mazes) that are taller then you, stupidly long skinny hallways and carbon copied side mission maps from ME1? It was all about corners in ME1 I agree. Because in every room crates were taller then you for some reason. How is that any more realistic? The crates in the rooms wouldn't even fit through the doors to them.

Go to 8:00 and watch for a few min. You honestly prefer fighting like that? I can't stand it when I go back to play ME1. To each his own though.
    As much as I hated the generic bunkers and warehouses too, it makes sense on a frontier world. Everyone is going to be using generic mass-produced buildings to keep costs and logistics down. They should have just fleshed out the planet maps more, instead of cutting it down to warehouse rooms decorated with scenery. It doesn't feel like I'm exploring a unmapped world. I think a buffed ME1 environment with ME3 AI would be challenging as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Uh yeah, you do that and he survives the events on Earth
    And Shepard calls him Steve instead of Cortez. :O

10+ Year Old Account
    Explain this one to me:

Bronze mission. Get to wave 11. Hosting player leaves. We therefore restart wave 11. We get full extraction . . . Mission Failed?

WTF?
    Putin khuliyo

Explain this one to me:

Bronze mission. Get to wave 11. Hosting player leaves. We therefore restart wave 11. We get full extraction . . . Mission Failed?

WTF?
    What the hell? O.o

Explain this one to me:

WTF?
    Operator trolled you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quick question, when they say promote a character, that just means level it up right?
    Putin khuliyo

Nope

You level it to 20, then double click on the kit, it'll have an icon that looks like the galaxy at war map. It will be sent off to the singleplayer, you'll get +10 N7 rank, 75 war assets, and the kit will be back to level 1.
    "So, he sent a succubus to seduce you, and lure you down to his side. And yet, first thing you do is to check her ass? Ah, kid, you've got much to learn.."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorage View Post
    Nope

You level it to 20, then double click on the kit, it'll have an icon that looks like the galaxy at war map. It will be sent off to the singleplayer, you'll get +10 N7 rank, 75 war assets, and the kit will be back to level 1.
    Ah ha!

I never saw that little promote button down there. Before the EC I never payed too much attention to MP, I just did it to get my War Assets past 6000.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Le sigh.

Given it's an operation weekend, I should have steered clear of Gold challenges, but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. It's like the players are like repulsive magnets and refuse to group up, until someone drops in which case they immediately run into the open room with three phantoms to try and resurrect. >.<

Finally get a game with a good team, and I randomly glitch through the map. Thanks, Bioware. I can't blame the others for kicking me since I could no longer contribute, but why does this always happen on wave 8-10?

Rant over.

(Also, are there any gold-challenge farming teams looking for an additional player?)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmwing View Post
    (Also, are there any gold-challenge farming teams looking for an additional player?)
    I'd be up for it, but I can't connect to others and others can't connect to me. Only way I can play MP is through the matchmaker.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmwing View Post
    Finally get a game with a good team, and I randomly glitch through the map. Thanks, Bioware. I can't blame the others for kicking me since I could no longer contribute, but why does this always happen on wave 8-10?
    If you get out of synch/glitched where you can run around the map but can't attack anything or use your powers on anything then there is a simple fix. Die. If you die and get resurrected by a team mate then you will be brought back into sync and can play as normal.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."