10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    Fuck Jacob, send him in the vents.
    Come on now, I've got a man crush on him!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Come on now, I've got a man crush on him!
    Out of all the starter-bros, Kaiden, Jacob, and Guido, Jacob has to be the most boring. I understand the need for a 'basic bro' starting out the game, but he's just not interesting in any way IMO. He has biotics for some unknown reason although it never seems to be acknowledged at any point, his loyalty mission is completely cliche, his quips on missions aren't particularly funny or memorable, and he's also pretty much the worst squadmate because he doesn't excel at anything (but he's not blatantly OP like Miranda either so in a game where you want to specialize for the mission you're launching it doesn't make sense to ever bring him). Hell, his only interesting character development is arguably that he can cheat on Shep (and that doesn't even happen until ME3).
    Last edited by TheMediator; 2016-07-26 at 02:26 AM.

Hate for Jacob makes me sad one of the more underrated characters in mass effect... until they fucking ruined him in ME3 (thank you so damn much bioware for listening to all the wrong "fans" yet again)

anyways, I tend to take the weakest squadmates with me, assuming they are loyal. so more often then not - it ends up being Tali and Jack or Tali and Kasumi. and by weakens I mean in terms of numerical value towards surviving through the mission, not their performance. Tali, Jack, Kasumi are worth 1 point (while loyal), while someone like Grunt, or Zaeed are worth 4 points.

as long as squadmates you took with you are loyal - they will survive, and heavy hitters generally tend to ensure that the rest of the crew does as well.

there was an awesome guide on old bioware forums showing exactly how to have everyone survive or kill off specific crew members and ONLY those specific crew members. and hey, looks like they brought it over to new forums https://forum.bioware.com/topic/1654...final-mission/

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always used Tali for the pipes, Samara for biotics, and Jacob or Miranda to lead the crewmates to the ship. Mass Effect 3 has a joke ready in place, in case you chose Tali for the pipes in ME2.
    I used Legion. I only looked up where to use who to try and get the achievement where my whole team survives, was scared I wouldn't get it because of Jack *glares ad the not so loyal whiny biotic bitch*. Luckily, I got it.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of all the starter-bros, Kaiden, Jacob, and Guido, Jacob has to be the most boring. I understand the need for a 'basic bro' starting out the game, but he's just not interesting in any way IMO. He has biotics for some unknown reason although it never seems to be acknowledged at any point, his loyalty mission is completely cliche, his quips on missions aren't particularly funny or memorable, and he's also pretty much the worst squadmate because he doesn't excel at anything (but he's not blatantly OP like Miranda either so in a game where you want to specialize for the mission you're launching it doesn't make sense to ever bring him). Hell, his only interesting character development is arguably that he can cheat on Shep (and that doesn't even happen until ME3).
    Well, I agree, Jacob is quite a generic character. Although I really liked his loyalty mission.

But, I mean, he is just... Well.. He is hot! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    Hate for Jacob makes me sad one of the more underrated characters in mass effect... until they fucking ruined him in ME3 (thank you so damn much bioware for listening to all the wrong "fans" yet again)
    Hmm, I actually liked his character development in ME3.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    I used Legion. I only looked up where to use who to try and get the achievement where my whole team survives, was scared I wouldn't get it because of Jack *glares ad the not so loyal whiny biotic bitch*. Luckily, I got it.
    Actually, now that I think about it, Legion probably makes more sense for the pipe part, because he is much more durable to heat due to being a Geth. Tali with her suit works too, but, still, organic is organic.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Well, I agree, Jacob is quite a generic character. Although I really liked his loyalty mission.

But, I mean, he is just... Well.. He is hot! <3

Hmm, I actually liked his character development in ME3.

Actually, now that I think about it, Legion probably makes more sense for the pipe part, because he is much more durable to heat due to being a Geth. Tali with her suit works too, but, still, organic is organic.
    he is not a generic character though. what he is not is flashy, and it seems like for a lot of fans not flashy = boring.

his development in ME3 was awful and very VERY out of character if you romanced him. one of the appeals of him in ME2 was that he was an honorable, steadfast guy who didn't make choices lightly. and then in ME3 despite actualy admitting his love to Shepard - the only character to outright do so, and something that in a course of the progression of that relationship was made clear he doesn't say or feel lightly - dumps her after less then half a year, KNOWING where she is, so its not like she was missing in action or anything, getting another woman - pregnant, could they have gone anymore racist out of character stereotype there? I mean he is not the only one who got fannoned in ME3 in a very bad way. what they did to majority of the returning characters in ME3 (and never mind the lore of the world itself) has been a huge pet peeve of mine well.. since the release of that game. I was ready to give up on bioware games all together at that point and honestly just remembering it, is the reason why I haven't pre-ordered and won't be pre-ordering andromeda (Mac Walters is still in charge and given "final hours" not to mention comic book tie ins /shudder, he is to blame for the worst of it)

gave DAI a chance and it was... mostly better. except their insistence of butchering less popular characters to pander to loudmouth haters in a fandom was still there (looking at what they did to Sebastian Vael >_> ) but at least not as egregiously as in Mass effect.

aaaaaaaaanyways. I'm just really annoyed that in order to make characters "interesting" (despite them already being interesting, just not flashy about it) they had to go and basically change them into, ironically enough generic and stereotypical cardboard cutouts /end rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    he is not a generic character though. what he is not is flashy, and it seems like for a lot of fans not flashy = boring.
    If his name was Jenkins and he was killed off during the tutorial sequence, what would you miss out on? Finding out his ol' man is an asshole?

Both Kaiden and James Vega are similarly 'vanilla' type characters but their backstories contribute to world-building. Jacob could not exist and not much of substance would be lost. That's pretty much the definition of boring.

If his name was Jenkins and he was killed off during the tutorial sequence, what would you miss out on? Finding out his ol' man is an asshole?

Both Kaiden and James Vega are similarly 'vanilla' type characters but their backstories contribute to world-building. Jacob could not exist and not much of substance would be lost. That's pretty much the definition of boring.
    uh. UH. you haven't been paying attention, have you.

1. Jacob was on Eden Prime at the same time as Ashley. he saw first hand how alliance handles and mishandles colony defense. he was part of the alliance corsairs and saw how ineffective THEY could be made. he saw how people were left hanging, just because they dared to try and colonize something not within citadel space. Jacob quite literally represents the reason why Shepard.. who has seen Cerberus commit atrocity after atrocity in ME1 - why this Shepard would actualy want to join with Cerberus. without Jacob and his alliance experiences - this obviously good and not xenophobic man, without his perspective. . why the hell would Shepard give Cerberus a genuine chance? and before you say anything about Joker and Chakwas? they join because Shepard joins, NOT the other way around.

also.. this word... vanilla... like I said not flashy. although they certainly tried to make these characters "flashier" in ME3. which literally made them more generic. its not typical for us to get soldier types who are introspective, maybe a little nerdy, meanwhile characters like Garrus or Wrex, but human are far more common, actualy.

but eh, whatever.

I've played through ME2 ~15 times (one of the greatest games of all time IMO).... either Jacob is just so boring I completely tuned his backstory out at this point or that must have been in the Codex or the Shadow Broker logs because I don't remember any of that business. I remember him being fed up with red tape in the Alliance and joining Cerberus to make a difference but unless that stuff came up in his romance (which I don't recall every doing because fuck Jacob) I don't know if that was in ME2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jacob was just awful as a companion, never liked him, although I'm sure my shepard's overly suggestive tone in his conversations had something to do with it too.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Jacob was just awful as a companion, never liked him, although I'm sure my shepard's overly suggestive tone in his conversations had something to do with it too.
    but that is not the character fault. that is the fault of voice direction for another character. the sad sad irony is that if you do romance him, she actualy addresses them in a normal voice, saying : "lets talk, you and me, unofficial" its like they flipped the voice bits where romanced version should have been in regular interactions and the other way around.

in any case, I mostly just wanted to provide a counterpoint. it is't a "everyone hates Jacob" situation. not everyone does. not everyone thinks the same. and that is why those suicide mission guidelines are awesome IMO. cause if you don't like someone? I may not agree with your reasons, but you still have an option to kill them off if you so wanted

He's simply weak as a companion. He doesn't have much synergy with anyone. He has 1 Biotic ability to set up or set off biotic explosions, Samara has 3 while Jack and Thane have 2, additionally Jack and Thane have access to better Ammo mods (Warp for Jack, Shredder for Thane) than Jacob's Incendiary. Even Zaeed is a better companion.

He's particularly bland as a character too, he talks about being dedicated to making a difference but he seems to jump ship whenever he seems to disagree with his orders. He has an incredibly lacking backstory, even with the added background stuff they published, as it only picks up at around the time he meets up with Miranda to stop the assassination attempt. Compare that to Kaidan who at least suffers from mild symptoms of being an L2. He's presumably an L3 (He's 3 years younger than Shepard), so maybe that excuses him as it does any BioShep, but the lack of even acknowledging his biotics after the initial introductory level just reinforces how little you're actually told about his background beyond "I was in the Military, I quit".

Kaidan mentions that "most biotics are" when questioned if he was a career military guy. That means he either opted not to or he wasn't given the choice. Knowing why would go a hell of a way to making him more interesting.

To me, he came across as Conrad Verner but given access to military equipment and training. He wants to be what you've become, but he isn't you and he won't ever be because he doesn't stick around to achieve it and so he ends up looking more like a maverick more than anything. There's absolutely no redeeming factor for his character at all, unless you happen to like tall, muscular black men and want to romance him, and be cheated on, as a FemShep. More to you if that's the case.

I like the thought. I haven't played the first yet and that would probably be a nice excuse for me to do it. Though from what I've seen it's not as bad as some games that would need a remaster a lot more..

For the 3rd part get rid of the fucking useless forced multiplayer crap .. please.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought the extended cut changed the required amount of EMS to be lower so you didn't need MP to get a 'perfect' ending...

Quote Originally Posted by Vyndeleron View Post
    With the recent news feed going on about hints of a Mass effect Trilogy remaster

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-.../1100-6442698/

I figure I chime in my thoughts about this and my expectations if this truly becomes a thing..

I dont mind remasters if they are done right... while there are haters of the so called remasters but hey I take a remaster of a good game / franchise over *insert recent disappointing game* any time of the day

Mass Effect 1 needs the more serious work... re made on a current engine

Those fecking awful Mako exploration needs to be overhauled perhaps the layout of areas to be smaller cause like 85% of each area is barren and hills that just piss you off seriously no one liked that part of the game

Mass Effect 2
    I expect the usual that comes with remasters + ALL THE DLC

Mass Effect 3
    is the same as Mass Effect 2 with the addition if MP will be scrapped or not. If it does get removed then the galaxy readiness needs to be removed aswell rework of the War Assets to determine the Effective Military Strength (EMS)

Perhaps adding more ending colors <--- That was a joke
    I really expect Andromeda to be delayed considerably from it's current date (march 2017 is it?) to at least fall, if not to 2018.
    A remaster would soften that blow....

I think a remaster for ME would be fine, so you can fully play through the games with all the choices and decisions carrying over much more easily.

Might just get them on PC though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from Mass Effect 1 combat, I don't really see anything that needs remastering: all the games look and feel pretty modern even today. Maybe they could add some more content, like fill those lifeless optional planets in ME1 with more meaningful NPCs and locations, or add some mini-locations for all those "scan, fetch and bring" quests in ME3?

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from Mass Effect 1 combat, I don't really see anything that needs remastering: all the games look and feel pretty modern even today. Maybe they could add some more content, like fill those lifeless optional planets in ME1 with more meaningful NPCs and locations, or add some mini-locations for all those "scan, fetch and bring" quests in ME3?
    It's mostly cause they know they can make a lot of money for relatively small effort by porting the franchise to XB1/PS4. Console games are generally why remasters even happen in the first place.

Deleted
    It's mostly cause they know they can make a lot of money for relatively small effort by porting the franchise to XB1/PS4. Console games are generally why remasters even happen in the first place.
    Same thing with the Skyrim remaster. For PC users its mostly useless, unless you dont like modding your game, because my modded Skyrim looked the same quality, if not better than what was shown in that remaster video.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shit if they would just release a complete edition for like $45-$60, not even remastered, I would buy it for PC.

I want to revisit the series before Andromeda, but I don't want to pay $120 or whatever it costs to get all the DLC from 2 and 3. And I don't even have a 360 anymore where I got all the DLC back in the day when I was a dirty console peasant. Really wish that shit was unlocked cross platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyndeleron View Post
    Seems it has http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mas...:_Extended_Cut

4,000 to 3,100

Its been a long time since I played Mass effect 3... removal of MP and the galaxy readiness info is only thing needed then

Honestly I enjoyed Mass Effect 3 multiplayer than Dragon Age: Inquisition multiplayer... damn it was bad and turned into a mess that it is this very day
    there is a smallish difference still - with full readiness, you are told that all the ground forces made it down to earth, while without - you are told that reapers shot down about half of them. but even then - there is now a web app to do what multiplayer and/or Mass effect datapad app used to do http://n7hq.masseffect.com/galaxy_at_war/ so... there's that?