My case worker won't return my calls and I'm about to lose my benefits, what do I do?

I currently have free health insurance provided by the state. I was supposed to have a phone interview to re-evaluate my case and make sure I'm still eligible and I sat by the phone all day and she never called. Since then I've called twice and left her voicemails and she will not return my calls. I just got a letter in the mail from HER HERSELF stating that I missed my phone interview and if I don't get in touch with her within 2 weeks I will lose my benefits.. but the thing is I tried. The only reason I missed my phone interview is because SHE never called ME. It's pissing me off that she's going to try to say they'll take away my benefits and I won't be able to afford to see the doctor or get medicine anymore because she won't return my phone calls. What do I do?!?! I need to be able to keep my health care!!

Is there anyway that you can actually go up to them in person? It's a little harder to ignore someone when they're 2 feet away from you.
    Yep. Players mad at us is a superior situation to players being mad at each other. -GC

I'm not very familiar with US healthcare policy sadly, but the only thing I could possibly recommend would be to start calling her multiple times a day, every day and leaving messages. You have a far greater chance of getting in touch with her that way then if you're only called twice. Yes, its ultimately her job to review your case, but since you have a vested interest in this, I'd do whatever I could to make sure that review happened. So call, as much as you possible can every day. If you do this and she still doesn't get back to you and you wind up losing your healthcare, is there some kind of legal avenue you can take? If so, then having phone records of multiple calls puts the onus entirely on her and not you. If nothing else, you have a back up.

Can you talk to this person face to face?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aianna View Post
    Is there anyway that you can actually go up to them in person? It's a little harder to ignore someone when they're 2 feet away from you.
    This. If you're able to see them in person they can't deny you a thing.

I see you're in Ohio. I would assume you would need to drive to Columbus or Cleveland to see a case worker. Neither of which is a far drive in the state.

Deleted
    Disclaimer: I am in no way qualified to make any statements on matters like this.

Call once again, make sure that you contact the main reception of the office and have them patch you through to her phone. Make sure to get and write down the name of the receptionist and the time you called.
    Send a letter, an official request, dated and signed, to make an appointment and send it with a neccesary confirmation of being received. Make sure you save the receipt of the post office when you mailed it, and the receipt from the post office of when the letter was accepted/delivered.
    If nothing happens within a week, go to the office in person. Take someone with you and if you can't get in to see anyone, make sure you get proof of having been there. Make sure messages are left to the effect that she knows you were there within the stated time limits.

If they do contact you, or make requests or tell you to do things, get it in writing preferably. And make sure you get some measure of proof that you have done what they have asked of you.

Do all of this. Make sure you document and make sure you STAY POLITE AND CIVIL. All-caps because I can not stress how important it is to remain the proper side in this all.

If shit hits the fan, you will have plenty of documentation and proof that you have remained wholly reasonable and did your level best to conform to what they want.

And good luck.

Keep accurate logs of your attempts to contact her. Send her a letter in the mail (and also contact her supervisor and whatever watchdog you can think of) with a copy of your records (better: a copy of your phone bill) indicating that she did not attempt to contact you and has not responded to your messages. Without knowing more details (which I'm not sure you should provide the internet) it's going to be difficult for us to give you better advice, really.

If your case worker screws you over, you can always try a free clinic until you get that situation sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Astounded View Post
    I see you're in Ohio. I would assume you would need to drive to Columbus or Cleveland to see a case worker. Neither of which is a far drive in the state.
    There are case workers in each county seat.

OP: Like others have said, find a way to get yourself to Jobs and Family Services. Explain to them that you've been unable to contact your case worker, and see what they have to say. It is extremely important to keep a cool-head. Of course, this is a recommendation based solely on the limited details you have provided - in order to give a more detailed response, we'd need more info (e.g. if you can see your case worker in person).

Hehe, I checked your Twitter and saw that you're near Parma, everytime I see that name I think of that song.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-06 at 04:08 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    There are case workers in each county seat.

OP: Like others have said, find a way to get yourself to Jobs and Family Services. Explain to them that you've been unable to contact your case worker, and see what they have to say. It is extremely important to keep a cool-head.
    Well that makes that face to face meeting all the more simple I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I really don't know how this works in the states, BUT I would have thought it would be common sense for anyone, anywhere to make a detailed record of every attempt at contact.
    Personally speaking I would keep calling and keep a diary of the times that I have called, leave a message every single time if possible.
    Also, send emails and request a read receipt for every single email that you send. That way, you'll know whether she has looked at your email. File the read receipts.
    I don't know if it possible for you to request an itemised phone record which shows incoming calls from your phone company, so you can prove no such call was made - don't know if they can do that, but I guess it's worth asking them?!

Reply to her letter, send it by recorded mail, so that someone her end needs to sign for the letter. Keep receipts to prove that you have attempted to contact her that way.

Try going there in person?

Horrible situation for you, hope you manage to get it sorted.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

What you need to do is call the office, not necessarily her number and ask to speak w/ her supervisor! I also live in Ohio and receive medicare and they do not like to do their jobs but if you contact their supervisor and leave a message on their voice mail, or call every number available until you can get a live person so that you can be transferred, explain the situation, you will get results! Make sure and explain to them that you have call I.D./records and there was never a call placed! I have had to do this on 3 different occasions!
    They do not like doing their jobs and as sad as it is you have to do these things in order to cover your own ass!