It seemed to be a very important campaign point in Bush Sr. versus Clinton.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    I'm sure you are well aware of this but there are a LOT of things that are campaign issues that just shouldn't be.

Obama's transcripts.
    Ann Romney's parenting skills.
    Michelle Obama's arms.
    Romney's religion.
    Paul Ryan's abs.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since this isn't the 1992 election, this time, with gusto: Who &*^%$ cares?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I dunno I think Obama being so lame he can't use an Iphone is pretty bad.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Stop it. We all know what you're doing.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shall we get some honesty in here?

After a couple tries
    Someone handed him another iPhone. He successfully dialed the volunteer this time, but the man didn't answer.

The man was handed an unfamiliar phone (iPhones are VERY different from the blackberry. I have a BB for work and a droid as my personal phone).

Attacking him over this is both unfair and ridiculous. Anyone would fumble a bit when handed tech they are unfamiliar with. He, however was able to use it after figuring it out.

Can we go back to picking him apart over bad policy or broken campaign promises -- you know, the things that actually matter?
    Forum badass alert:

10+ Year Old Account
    You really want him to learn how to use an iPhone as part of being president? Unless you are an apple sales representative, making iPhone usage a requirement, seems kinda pointless.

---------- Post added 2012-09-10 at 08:35 PM ----------

Having to lie about a BJ because you were accused by someone else of infidelity (and abuse of power, harassment, using State Troopers to ferry women around for you to have sex with) is something entirely different. He didn't lie to protect Hillary or himself from Hillary, he lied because he didn't want to show that he did in fact do many of the things he was accused of by many women.
    He lied about the infidelity... Yep...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Are you serious?

I'm extremely tech savvy and I usually have to fumble around a bit if I'm given a phone I'm not familiar with.

Now I've heard everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    You really want him to learn how to use an iPhone as part of being president? Unless you are an apple sales representative, making iPhone usage a requirement, seems kinda pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Really? That's the reason you come up with for saying, "Would you actually vote for this guy?" This is a joke, right?
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...bama-campaign/
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Not knowing how to use a phone you're unfamiliar with isn't the same thing as computer illiteracy Kinghorse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Computer illiteracy == phone illiteracy

computer illiteracy != needing a few minutes to figure out how to dial on an iPhone

Not equivalent. The president uses a blackberry, so he knows how to use cellular phones.

That being said -- it was a lame attack.

EDIT -- this is just about as valid as dems attacking Romney's wife for wearing a $900 shirt or whatever that nonsense was about.
    Forum badass alert:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Not knowing how to use a phone you're unfamiliar with isn't the same thing as computer illiteracy Kinghorse.
    I'm aware of this. And I'm also aware that the ability to use a computer (or iPhone) has little to do with your fitness for the job of the presidency.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.

Exactly. My first computer was an Apple IIe. On my first IBM-compatible (lol) PC, I was tweaking DOS system files when I was in my early teens. I've used Windows since 3.1. I can code (simple things) in more than one programming language.

But if you hand me a laptop with MacOS on it... I'll stare at it like an idiot until someone shows me how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    I'm aware of this. And I'm also aware that the ability to use a computer (or iPhone) has little to do with your fitness for the job of the presidency.
    You don't think computer literacy is required to do thinks like deal with technology policy? Isn't this the kind of ignorance that gets us "the internet is a series of tubes"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Computer illiteracy == phone illiteracy

computer illiteracy != needing a few minutes to figure out how to dial on an iPhone

Not equivalent. The president uses a blackberry, so he knows how to use cellular phones.

That being said -- it was a lame attack.
    The whole thing is a piss poor attack on Obama, and really pointless. I'm sure there was some sort of something that was keeping him from being able to use the phone that was handed to him: some lame ass menu setup by the owner, perhaps a lock on the phone, who knows, doesn't matter. It is good for little other than amusing people that don't like Obama already. It's not like this is going to change the way anyone votes.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not like this is going to change the way anyone votes.
    And yet that was how this was presented on the boards.

---------- Post added 2012-09-10 at 03:47 PM ----------

But if you hand me a laptop with MacOS on it... I'll stare at it like an idiot until someone shows me how to use it.
    My parents have a Mac. I can navigate around it ok, but I keep trying to do things that you just can't -- and it gets frustrating awfully quickly. Plus my mom has this super bizarre mouse that just has one button. No left click/right click and no middle click or scroll wheel....and the keyboard shortcuts are all different. /cry.

I usually surf the web on my phone cause I can't deal with the Mac!
    Forum badass alert:

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't think computer literacy is required to do thinks like deal with technology policy?
    I know it is not actually. The president is essentially a CEO: the most important thing he does is finds people who know what the fuck they're doing and put them in charge of telling him what needs to be done in specific cases that are in their field of expertise.

The president has to deal with farm bills and such. I've never seen anyone say being a farmer is a requirement to being the president.

---------- Post added 2012-09-10 at 04:49 PM ----------

And yet that was how this was presented on the boards.
    You guys did a sufficient job of shooting that thought process down. I don't see the necessity in my participation in the beating.

To be fair... at least in my memory... the attacks on McCain's computer skills came off more like "He's old." That wasn't a form of attack I appreciated until he made Palin the VP candidate.

I know it is not actually. The president is essentially a CEO: the most important thing he does is finds people who know what the fuck they're doing and put them in charge of telling him what needs to be done in specific cases that are in their field of expertise.
    So you'd be ok with a president who doesn't know anything about computers signing computer technology regulation? I certainly would not. There's also a substantial difference between having advisers and just doing what they say.

Computer literacy is required to be a secretary. I'm not sure how you'd even expect someone who doesn't know how to use a computer to even do the job of the presidency.

The president has to deal with farm bills and such. I've never seen anyone say being a farmer is a requirement to being the president.
    And the farm bill is largely economic in nature. I wouldn't want an economically illiterate president either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not being able to use a computer is a pretty big handicap that will keep you from getting many of even the most basic jobs. So, if I can't run a computer, and therefore operate a POS machine, why should it be thought that I would be capable of running a country? EX: if I don't understand computers, how am I supposed to make a judgement on internet neutrality? I don't understand computers, so I don't understand the internet, and things people don't understand they don't value. How can I be trusted to make a good decision on when I don't care about it?

Also: these things are cultural. Being unable to use an iPhone will likely put you out of touch with hipsters, but isn't going to do much beyond that. Being unable to use a computer is likely going to put you out of touch with the vast majority of everyone under the age of 30, as well as many people whose livelyhoods rely on computers and related technology.

---------- Post added 2012-09-10 at 12:54 PM ----------

How does the president know if they've found the right guy....if he has no idea what the qualifications for being that "right guy" are? That's why we have bullshit things like having someone with a Phd in english on a board about agriculture and vice-versus.

But the average human being has some basis understanding that clear water, clean air, and hearty soil make for good growing. And a lot of elected officials take trips to those places to learn more about them before making a decision. If you can't use a computer, you can't surf the net to get an idea of what net neutrality means.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the farm bill is largely economic in nature. I wouldn't want an economically illiterate president either.
    Isn't essentially everything the president signs largely economic in nature? Or is he expected to be fluent in every field he has control over. Because that's literally all of them.