Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    How does the president know if they've found the right guy....if he has no idea what the qualifications for being that "right guy" are? That's why we have bullshit things like having someone with a Phd in english on a board about agriculture and vice-versus.
    How do you know if you've found the right accountant or lawyer or wedding planner or roofing contractor or...

Yikes. I think I'm agreeing with KingHorse on something again.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

The whole damn world runs on computers. I have a hard time believing you'd be ok with a president who has no ability to operate one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Not being able to use a computer is a pretty big handicap that will keep you from getting many of even the most basic jobs. So, if I can't run a computer, and therefore operate a POS machine, why should it be thought that I would be capable of running a country?
    Many menial jobs require you to be able to operate a computer. Many menial jobs require you to be able to flip a burger. If you can't flip a burger, how should it be thought that you would be capable of running a country?

---------- Post added 2012-09-10 at 05:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I think I'm agreeing with KingHorse on something again.
    It gets easier with time. That's what my wife says anyway.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    Many menial jobs require you to be able to operate a computer. Many menial jobs require you to be able to flip a burger. If you can't flip a burger, how should it be thought that you would be capable of running a country?[COLOR="red"]
    Don't hurt your back there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Don't hurt your back there.
    Dare I ask?
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's get realistic here.

You expect the president to be in touch with the basic level of technology in society just to show he understands how life works.

You'd expect the president to know how to surf the web. You wouldn't expect the president to be able to program.

You'd expect the president to know how make a call on a cell phone (which he does on his blackberry). You wouldn't expect the president to be developing apps.

You'd expect the president to know the basics of a wide variety of topics. You wouldn't expect him to be an expert.

I'm pretty sure everyone here would be uncomfortable if a president was computer illiterate, or phone illiterate, or just plain illiterate...It demonstrates a lack of knowledge of something that anyone in a professional position would be expected to have.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Dare I ask?
    You missed the point entirely. Menial jobs require you to be able to operate a computer because our entire world runs on computers. Just like how menial jobs require you to be able to read. You're saying you'd be fine with the most powerful man in the world not being able to operate a computer.

The whole damn world runs on computers. I have a hard time believing you'd be ok with a president who has no ability to operate one.
    Meh. I know I can only look at so much in a day, and I trust certain people to put the important things in front of me (granted, they mostly do it by email or cell phone calls...)

10+ Year Old Account
    You missed the point entirely. Menial jobs require you to be able to operate a computer because our entire world runs on computers. Just like how menial jobs require you to be able to read. You're saying you'd be fine with the most powerful man in the world not being able to operate a computer.
    Some do, many don't. Again, it is an extremely important aspect of life in this country (and the rest of the world). But that doesn't meant that not knowing shit about it would prevent you from doing a good job as president. As evidenced by the many many things that are absolutely vital to the survival of the US, that most presidents know dick about.

10+ Year Old Account
    But that doesn't meant that not knowing shit about it would prevent you from doing a good job as president.
    That's not necessarily true depending on how electronic the white house has become. I know a lot of the white house stuff is not actually done by the president, but I'm sure there are tools used -- such as email, probably some sort of chat program, and possible even more advanced technologies.

So it is actually possible that someone who was computer illiterate would not be as good (measured by efficiency) as someone who was.

Still -- this whole line of discussion is getting pretty silly.
    Forum badass alert:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    So it is actually possible that someone who was computer illiterate would not be as good (measured by efficiency) as someone who was.
    That is a valid argument.

Still -- this whole line of discussion is getting pretty silly.
    It was silly when the first story was linked. But it's still fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is a valid argument.
    Waaaaaaaait....Conservatives/Republicans/Whoever want smaller government...several people have expressed a desire for continued deadlock as it will hamper the government which is a great thing (I'm looking at you Dacien!) and therefore a technology illiterate president would be the best as he would fail to be efficient and thus hamper the government.

Therefore conservatives and republicans should vote for Obama!

​Did I win the internetz?
    Forum badass alert:

10+ Year Old Account
    Many menial jobs require you to be able to operate a computer. Many menial jobs require you to be able to flip a burger. If you can't flip a burger, how should it be thought that you would be capable of running a country?
    No, a SPECIFIC line of work requires you to know how to flip a burger. Short order cook.
    Receptionists, data-entry, billing, government-interaction, accounting, and just about some other 99 jobs come to mind. When I worked in Registration for my last employer, there were states that ONLY kept their documents online. They would not mail them, fax them, or anything other than telling you to go to their website and download the PDFs. That is exactly how digital our age is. I cannot reasonably elect an official who cannot comprehend the demands digital technology put on both employees and employers.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    And really, who doesn't know how to flip a burger? They might not cook it WELL, but even I can flip a burger and I neeeeeever grill.
    Forum badass alert:

And really, who doesn't know how to flip a burger? They might not cook it WELL, but even I can flip a burger and I neeeeeever grill.
    I can flip a burger, but I make no guarantee it will land on the grill in one piece.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    I can flip a burger, but I make no guarantee it will land on the grill in one piece.
    You just need a bigger spatula.
    Forum badass alert:

I might have done it a couple times...

I probably screwed it up somehow though. That's why I'm not ever going to run for president. That information will come out, and I'll be swiftburgered out of the election.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might have done it a couple times...

I probably screwed it up somehow though. That's why I'm not ever going to run for president. That information will come out, and I'll be swiftburgered out of the election.
    All three of my children came over to ask me what I was laughing at. Well done!

Heh. Glad I could make someone laugh, at least.

Useful information, but completely unrelated to this topic: If your burgers are falling apart, you're doing one of three things wrong (most likely): 1) using low fat burger, 2) you're forming them too firm; use a light touch, or 3) you're not letting your grill or pan get hot enough before you put them on.