Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Drought made the cost of feedstock and water rise, and farmers had to sell/slaughter their livestock. That had a moderating effect on this year's prices since meat was dumped on the market, but in coming years it could be a problem.
    Yup, I know some farmers who are pretty concerned, honestly. Many had to dump on the market, like you said, and we aren't going to see the full effect of that for a while.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Rising food prices are more a symptom of the oil situation rather than the drought.
    It's neither one when it comes to corn syrup. Along with farm subsudies to grow corn, Reagan in acted higher tariffs and taxes on foreign and domestic sugar. It's why corn is more expensive than corn syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Rising food prices are more a symptom of the oil situation rather than the drought.
    Oil prices aren't higher than is common in recent history

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    It's neither one when it comes to corn syrup. Along with farm subsudies to grow corn, Reagan in acted higher tariffs and taxes on foreign and domestic sugar. It's why corn is more expensive than corn syrup.
    Its silly really - Scientists proved that mice gained much more weight on HFCS than on cane sugar so it might be a part of the obesity problem too

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Its silly really - Scientists proved that mice gained much more weight on HFCS than on cane sugar so it might be a part of the obesity problem too
    This is a wildly implausible conclusion; the bulk of fructose is converted to glucose as the body metabolizes it. There might be a correlative link between consumption of HFCS and obesity, but it's quite unlikely that "regular" sugar is any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is a wildly implausible conclusion; the bulk of fructose is converted to glucose as the body metabolizes it. There might be a correlative link between consumption of HFCS and obesity, but it's quite unlikely that "regular" sugar is any better.
    The actual link really is that HFCS is sweeter than regular sugar, and triggers the "desired sensation" response much more readily. The mice that were eating HFCS were eating 2-3X what the mice eating sugar were, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    The actual link really is that HCFS is sweeter than regular sugar, and triggers the "desired sensation" response much more readily. The mice that were eating HCFS were eating 2-3X what the mice eating sugar were, if I recall correctly.
    This I could reasonably well buy. I'm under the impression that fructose requiring more metabolism than glucose also results in it triggering satiety causing responses much more slowly. So, it's really more that it's hard for people to eat the same amount of HFCS as sugar.

This I could reasonably well buy. I'm under the impression that fructose requiring more metabolism than glucose also results in it triggering satiety causing responses much more slowly. So, it's really more that it's hard for people to eat the same amount of HFCS as sugar.
    If decided I'm going to make a candy that is literally nothing but HFCS, MSG, and Food Coloring.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    If decided I'm going to make a candy that is literally nothing but HFCS, MSG, and Food Coloring.
    you'll probably want some citric acid in there too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Get some saturated fat and salt in there too. You'll rule the world.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Get some saturated fat and salt in there too. You'll rule the world.
    Using both MSG and salt is a bit of overkill.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mmmm, salty, savory, sour, red goo.

What will you call it, obdigore?

Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    Mmmm, salty, savory, sour, red goo.

What will you call it, obdigore?
    Chefs' Ginger Balls, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Using both MSG and salt is a bit of overkill.
    Nah, the glutamate in MSG is a flavor enhancer. It's an amino acid for which you have taste buds to taste. Totally distinct from salt.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Nah, the glutamate in MSG is a flavor enhancer. It's an amino acid for which you have taste buds to taste. Totally distinct from salt.
    I'm talking more for the overwhelming quantity of Sodium it would result in.

Salted peanut&Cherry filled Ice cream bar covered in caramel and shelled with Oreo cookies and M&M shell coating
    Just add the Msg into the caramel
    Hell could get creative and dip the finished product into molten chocolate covering it in walnuts, freezing it then dropping it in the deep fryer for 5 seconds.

MSG gets a bad rap, but it's actually pretty useful for making things delicious. It's just that it gives some people headaches, so restaurants can't really use it. Correlative data linking it to obesity probably have more to do it being a proxy for other diet choices (chips over fruit, for example) than anything MSG specific.

MSG gets a bad rap, but it's actually pretty useful for making things delicious. It's just that it gives some people headaches, so restaurants can't really use it. Correlative data linking it to obesity probably have more to do it being a proxy for other diet choices (chips over fruit, for example) than anything MSG specific.
    Never said MSG was specifically bad, it does introduce yet another source of Sodium into Americans already Sodium-rich diets though. MSG + Salt = HOLY SHIT SODIUM!

Sure, I didn't mean to single you out. I was speaking more generally about MSG having more of a bad rap than it really deserves.