Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimpossibru View Post
    The addon is on my schedule in about 2 weeks (then also OpenRaid will be out of beta).
    It will require me to write a basic API.

However, there is one huge downside... there will be only two ways to sync the addon:
    1. by downloading a .lua file from time to time, the user can do this manually
    2. by using the optional Executable file which I will supply, which will be 100% open source and written in C# - this will update itself from time to time.
    This will be open sourced to prove it's 100% safe.

There will be an addon regardless though, just the executable would be for the peeps that don't feel like downloading the latest 'raids file', to give it a name, from time to time.

Hope that answers your questions
    Hey Kim,

I think the best way to do this is what addons like GatherMate do : Have it available on Curse so anyone with the Curse client (which is almost everyone I suppose at this point) can automatically update it. Anyone without the Curse client can just download the lua from your website. The executable file while a cool and honest idea may cause too much trouble, especially if it's opensource. You can never rule out malicious people making fake updaters with trojans :/

really great job guys, gz

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    Hey Kim,

I think the best way to do this is what addons like GatherMate do : Have it available on Curse so anyone with the Curse client (which is almost everyone I suppose at this point) can automatically update it. Anyone without the Curse client can just download the lua from your website. The executable file while a cool and honest idea may cause too much trouble, especially if it's opensource. You can never rule out malicious people making fake updaters with trojans :/
    Problem for that is, for the mod to be relevant, its need to have recent data, like hourly, or at minimum, daily. Gathermate on the other hand can get away with weekly or even monthly updates. I'm also pretty sure, curse already has in place implementations that prevents excessive updates. The client itself marks "recently updated" mods specifically for a few days and I'm fairly positive it doesn't even let you update it when the mod is marked as such in the client.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roia View Post
    Problem for that is, for the mod to be relevant, its need to have recent data, like hourly, or at minimum, daily. Gathermate on the other hand can get away with weekly or even monthly updates. I'm also pretty sure, curse already has in place implementations that prevents excessive updates. The client itself marks "recently updated" mods specifically for a few days and I'm fairly positive it doesn't even let you update it when the mod is marked as such in the client.
    Very true. Trojans would be a worry but if you just download it from our site it shouldn't ever be a problem.
    I'd have to state somewhere very very clearly that you can only really download it safely from one point. I just don't want there to be *any* doubt at all about trojans in the versions we publish.

But yes, the addon would have to be updated atleast daily. So an executable is really the best way - or manually downloading the lua. Using a 3rd party tool isn't really a viable option I think. Also, you'd have to *log in* to OpenRaid to get the real ID's!

So the executable would ask you for your OpenRaid details, it would log you in and it'd give you the required details (real ID's of people in your raids). The lua would be downloadable from your account page or somewhere where people can see it.

Any chance of getting Bibi to spotlight this on the front page once OpenRaid goes out of beta? Or perhaps being featured on WoWInsider or something like that?

It's a fantastic tool, and I can see it really taking off once the userbase hits critical mass.

Quote Originally Posted by TacTican View Post
    Any chance of getting Bibi to spotlight this on the front page once OpenRaid goes out of beta? Or perhaps being featured on WoWInsider or something like that?

It's a fantastic tool, and I can see it really taking off once the userbase hits critical mass.
    Requesting this also .. and QFT
    Some things in life should be taken with a pinch of salt......

A shot of tequila.... and a wedge of lime....

Could not agree anymore. This tool is fantastic, and especially once current tier content is available cross realm in MoP, this will change the face of WoW raiding. Spread the word. Tell your friends. Tell your guild. Tell your mother. Get on there and sign up for some raids now so we can help work out bugs and get the ball rolling even faster than it currently is.

Kim is a fantastic project leader on this, and the team behind Kim at Openraid are great. Keep up all the great work, and let us know what you need from us outside of bug reports and feature suggestions!

-Chris/Fuggo of PUGJobs

Deleted
    Thanks for the comments everyone <3

I really love making this site so I myself, and also the moderators, are putting in immense amounts of time every day to make it better and better. We are scheduled to go out of beta quite soon (2 weeks max). But the beta is very stable so far, and it's not like we're going to wipe data of course, it's just a tag to show some functions can still be a bit rough around the edges. So the "beta" tag is just there so we can add stuff quickly without feeling too bad if it breaks for a minute - thought that's only happend once so far

Bump!

Nearly 2,500 members.

The herald runs are popping up and I am thinking about making a warrior tank to get in on one of those.

10+ Year Old Account
    The site just broke 2,500 members this evening. I can't wait to see where we're heading. :-)
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.

Deleted
    Awesome, over 2,6k members. I'm sure we'll hit 3k soon

So guys, what are you waiting for? Join us!

This tool is pretty great. I'm quite the achievement whore, and I've soared from ~13900 to 14060 in the last week by hooking up with some pretty amazing people around the US. The more, the merrier!

Same thing as Tooter, wich was in one of my runs alos :P Got from 13400 to 13600 in a few days since we can now run any of the 25 man content my realm couldn't done due to his low pop. People are starting to create more and more runs of almost everything, from Herald of Titans to Heroic Firelands full clear.

Make sure you join this awesome community growing up so fast ^^

Requesting sticky again!

& Come visit to see the new and improved features.. you will not be disappointed ...
    Some things in life should be taken with a pinch of salt......

A shot of tequila.... and a wedge of lime....

After all this time I finally got Herald of the Titans, and I would never have gotten it if it wasn't for cross-realm raiding because no one on my server is interested in leveling a new character. Thank you so much Kim for this amazing site and I hope that using this will become commonplace in the WoW community.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Harima/simple

Deleted
    Sounds interesting, I've set up an Ulduar run for Herald of the Titans.
    PM me if interested.

Deleted
    Btw, thanks to a sponsor (that doesn't want us to advertise and stuff, it's still 100% adfree), we now have 2 free to use Ventrilo servers. Come check it out!

10+ Year Old Account
    Im glad to see it is growing pretty well. This may well be the missing way to make players from underpopulated realms do all those raids they've been missing

Looks good, gonna register and try it out :-)
    The unattainable best is the enemy of all the available betters.