Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Being new in this game...

..is just horrible.

I started playing two days ago and I've played 10 games now. Pretty much just playing Ashe while I get a feel for the game (and because I play a hunter in wow), and I feel like I am improving. Slowly, but steady. I ran the tutorials and I ran a few times with bots but this just got too boring. So I joined up with a friend who's been playing it for a while.

Now to the point.

The amount of abuse you get as a newbie in this game is unheard of! Constantly people in the chat will hurl all sort of abusive language your way. And if you ask them how to improve or what to do, they tell you to uninstall. I am checking out guides on YouTube and other websites to improve my game, but apparently it just is not acceptable being a newbie.

I think it's too early for me to quit, but the language some of these kids use is just disgusting. Worse than WoW most of the time.
    Am I just really, really bad or is this the general way of things in the games?

There's a lot of immature ragers in this game. No one can deny that...

But if you team up with someone who's higher level than you, you also get teamed up with other more experienced players. These players expect their teammates to have much more experience than you have after playing just 10 games.
    So, I can understand why they're raging... To some extent.

If you wish to play with less raging kids, you should play more games alone, before queuing with your friend.

There's also chat channels like The Gentlemen's Club, full of mature players, who are looking for other mature players. You could check that and similar channels out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

If somebody is going overboard just /ignore him. LoL is team game where you can lose because one person is underperforming and emotions can be vented ... but hopefully in moderation. I have over 1000 games, 400 classic, 600 dominion and I make silly mistakes and get trolled on regular basis ... but I spec 3/3 thick hide against trolling, so I manage.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    I've played DotA before, but just started with LoL and I'm in a similar boat. The community is largely terrible. The 2-3 people I usually play with are level 30 (I'm 8) and it can be brutal. Takes me time to figure out which items do what and I only have a handful of champs that I've not played enough to learn all the nuances, and I guess even with just playing Ashe it's similar for you, need to build your game. The thing I've found to be working okay (especially seeing as everyone instalocks some carry) is playing support/tank of some kind and being fodder to protect my friend's carry-farm. For example, this week Sejuani has been free and she's relatively good at supporting a lane and throwing some harass, and great for initating, CC and so will transition well to teamfights. This has really helped me with learning how to zone and lane-control, and positioning for engaging enemy players.

It doesn't teach you to last hit or farm effectively, but it should help win games, and as a tank you will survive longer which is always a plus.

Deleted
    Jumping from bot games, without any experience, right into queueing along with a lvl 30 (I guess your friend is 30 if he's been playing a long time.) is a dick move to yourself and to other players. By doing so you are breaking the game for them, since not only is your skill lacking, but you simply don't have half the necessary tools - runes and masteries. No wonder they're pissed...

You say you play wow, imagine a fresh 85 in greens without any experience decides he wants to see how DS25 looks and gets his friend, your guild master, to take him along on a progress run with you. Well, that's pretty much what you've been doing - annoying, is it not?

That's the only downside of a f2p game imo, always immature people who doesn't deserve your attention.
    Also a reason why I want to see Dota2 being expensive as hell just to keep the trolls out.

on topic: i was insanely bad in the beginning aswell, just keep playing and keep checking guides, and use the ignore function too.
    IIRC I think I played something around 600 games before I got invited to the Dota2 beta and at the end I was pretty damn good, so yeah NEVER give up bro!
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

10+ Year Old Account
    This was the same for a few of my friends that have joined recently.
    But i was just as rubbish when i started to, just stick at it, you will improve and fingers crossed so will people attitudes towards you.

Riboe: Oh wow, i didnt know this chat channel exsisted /facepalm (normally just play with irl friends) I shall also have to check that out. Thank you for the insight.

If the verbal abuse is really bad, then simply report them after the games (and get your friends on vent or skype or whatever to do the same) You right click on their name, type in what offended you, and you'll make the community a better place. The tribunal pretty much will condemn anyone doing anything wrong. If the person doesn't chill out, then eventually, they'll get a ban and maybe even a perma ban.

As Ashe especially, you have to be really cautious because she can't disengage easily--use your hawk shot to scout areas. (If you like them on a few websites you can get Tristina, who is similar, but can knock people back and has rocket boots that lets her escape easily.) Ashe is a carry, basically once she gets going, she gets really, really mean. The problem is you need time to farm for stuff like your infinite edge. The early game, you should focus on getting the last hit (and the gold) on minions. When the end of the game rolls around, you'll actually be able to kill people easier. But you should definitely check out Graves this week...he's a character that plays alot like Ashe as well. (As well as Caitylnn, Vayne, Sivir, and a host of other AD carries.)

Without runes and masteries, as another poster said, your friends are sorta throwing you to the wolves. It will be a trial by fire. I have to admit, I played probably 200 bot games before I started pvping and even then, I found a character that was a tanky ranged and loved her. (Morganna actually, she has built in spell vamp and the disable breaking black shield).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Jumping from bot games, without any experience, right into queueing along with a lvl 30 (I guess your friend is 30 if he's been playing a long time.) is a dick move to yourself and to other players. By doing so you are breaking the game for them, since not only is your skill lacking, but you simply don't have half the necessary tools - runes and masteries. No wonder they're pissed...

You say you play wow, imagine a fresh 85 in greens without any experience decides he wants to see how DS25 looks and gets his friend, your guild master, to take him along on a progress run with you. Well, that's pretty much what you've been doing - annoying, is it not?
    Hmm, really good points. I only just realized how the matchmaking system works a few hours ago - so yeah I understand why they were pissed. However, that does not condone acting the way they did.
    I will be sure to play a few games with people my own level. I just finished one, where one of the players was clearly a veteran with a fresh account, mildly annoying that too.

---------- Post added 2012-02-08 at 01:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Riboe View Post
    There's also chat channels like The Gentlemen's Club, full of mature players, who are looking for other mature players. You could check that and similar channels out.
    Unfortunately I play on the US North servers, and I could not find the channel there. Thanks though!

It gets a lot better once your summoner level gets outta the low single digits, losing piles of bot games (before the "intermediate bots" were even added) in a row was pretty common until about summoner lvl 5-6. was pretty frustrating, then you realize @ that low summoner level, you're basically doing the LFR version of League.

Im only 15 or 16 now, but when i queue up for a beginner bot game (trying a new hero etc) its laughable, and tho they're far from as good as players the Intermediate bots will teach you quite a few things, some of them (swain / brand / annie + others) can be unforgiving of any mistakes, while others (Taric) are still a complete joke.

Ive got a few lvl 30 friends and we did a few pvp games and yeah, being low level and inexperienced puts you at a massive disadvantage because of (as mentioned) runes / masterys but more importantly, just skill. You'll learn SO much about how other things play and how to avoid their tricks and how to make best use of your own in the time it takes to get to lvl 30.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemefem View Post
    Hmm, really good points. I only just realized how the matchmaking system works a few hours ago - so yeah I understand why they were pissed. However, that does not condone acting the way they did.
    I will be sure to play a few games with people my own level. I just finished one, where one of the players was clearly a veteran with a fresh account, mildly annoying that too.

---------- Post added 2012-02-08 at 01:07 AM ----------

Unfortunately I play on the US North servers, and I could not find the channel there. Thanks though!
    LoL is one of those games where it is really easy to rage when things go bad. I know when I get bad teams repeatedly, I either log off of go on a bot massacre. I feel bad for the people who are actually trying to learn a champ in some bot games because I'll pick a char like trynd or master yi and steal all the kills. If I lost a game, only to find out the player on my team that was under-performing was level 8, depending on how may games I'd lost before that I might tell them off. I'm more passive about my anger ingame though (my poor roommates).

I actually only started at the beginning of this year. Had a lot of time in my holidays left and didn't really know what to play so I picked up this game. Do not regret doing so, but occasionally I feel the same as you do.

One suggestion I'd like to give you may seem a little counterproductive, but play by yourself, not with your friend who's been playing for a lot longer. I always feel a little bad when I see a lvl 30 (which is still rare for I am only level 21 myself), with a low level friend. The new player often gets butchered, merely because he's playing against people with a lot more experience. When you play with people at your own level you'll see you will be performing a lot better. Surely there will still be complaints and bitching, but you'll always keep that, it just won't be about your abilities, because mostly people will be at a more equal playing ground.

I do hope you stick to playing the game, because it really is a great game, as long as you can deal with the occasional bad attitude.

This attitude is shared throughout the MOBA communities. LoL's is comparatively tame when you consider HoN and DOTA's communities.

If things get too annoying, /ignore all is a great solution. It might screw you over for MIA calls and the like, but if your team is bad enough to make you consider ignore all, they probably won't be calling them anyway.

This attitude is shared throughout the MOBA communities. LoL's is comparatively tame when you consider HoN and DOTA's communities.
    This.

Remember these are primarily PVP games as well. Which are naturally more hostile. Play with friends, play custom games, pad XP gain with bot games, etc. In time you sloth off the trolls and improve.

This IS a F2P game so you'll end up getting a bunch of younger immature players more often than not since they can afford to play this.But even the more mature players will crack and rage because your mistakes cost the entire team and reward the enemy. If you do badly, everyone does badly. Its just a very punishing game...the concept is very unfriendly to people who are still learning how to not die and how to dodge every single champ's spells. So best of luck. Hang in there and you'll eventually get good enough that you wont constantly die and cause your team to rage at you for feeding or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the input, lots of good advice. I have been playing ranged mostly so far, gearing in to run speed and then damage and life steal. Can anyone recommend a melee character? I tried Jax but either he is very limited at low levels, or I was under-performing something horrible lol

Deleted
    Personally I found the game got repetitive pretty quickly.

However the level of abuse in game was pretty much unmatched. Some of the stuff we would say to some mouthy idiot over the course of a game in MW2 can make up the first 30 seconds of a LoL game.

If you want to enjoy the game I would suggest you try and find a group of people to play with as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemefem View Post
    Thanks for all the input, lots of good advice. I have been playing ranged mostly so far, gearing in to run speed and then damage and life steal. Can anyone recommend a melee character? I tried Jax but either he is very limited at low levels, or I was under-performing something horrible lol
    Try out Renekton if possible. He is pretty simple to use, can take a few hits and has great damage. But he has some finer points to his playstyle which reveal themselves as you play him longer.

You want to play heroes with a low barrier to entry but that have some subtle depth to them; Wukong, Renekton and Graves [Ranged] are good picks. Simple enough to start with, but just skillful enough they shine the better you become.

I would stay away from the more tricky heroes such as Fizz, Akali, Olaf, Nidalee or Lee Sin. At least till you have a firm grasp on the game. Don't get me wrong, those are awesome heroes. Though they can be sorta hard for a new player to master. The aforementioned require more finesse in knowing how to counter vs. their inherent weakness/strengths & how best to use their kit.

Playing Annie for a few weeks will teach more about the game than any other hero however. But she's a mage.

The attitude to newbies in WoW is about the same though :P and Annie best eu <3

Deleted
    Your friend should make a new account. Then, when he plays with you he uses that account. That way you're able to play against enemies that doesn't have 200+ games and so on.