10+ Year Old Account

Sith inquisitor specs

Hey Guys

Can anyone give me some info on the sith inquisitor like which spec is good allround i'd like to do pve and pvp
    i see alot of assains but im not too sure which would be the best spec thanks

WoW6000

10+ Year Old Account
    I started playing the other day and I'm loving the Sorc spec. It's not as engaging (to me anyway) since there's a small amount of instant cast abilities and I like seeing the damage done right then and there. The spec has a ton of utility and is nice in pvp too. I played assassin in beta and it was pretty fun.

The perk with Sorcs is that you get a couple heals as well as speccing into your damage tree, so almost from the start you're capable of off-healing. Myself and a buddy of mine that's playing with me have gotten through some crazy stuff thanks to the healing and cc provided by my spec.

Just.... don't pick Twi'lek if you like the awesomeness of looking evil by wearing a hood (like myself). :\ I picked the race and now find that hoods do not display on the characters at all.

Quote Originally Posted by WoW6000 View Post
    Hey Guys

Can anyone give me some info on the sith inquisitor like which spec is good allround i'd like to do pve and pvp
    i see alot of assains but im not too sure which would be the best spec thanks

WoW6000
    First you have to decide which class you want to be. If you want to tank/melee DPS you go Assassin (Warrior/Rogue). If you want heal/range DPS (Disc Priest/Lock/Mage) you go Sorcerer. Remember, you are are picking what is essentially your WOW Class with your Advanced Class - there is no going back.

I would recommend reading a lot of big write ups at: http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=21

I have a 50 Zabrak assassin, and they're very fun to play, however, I tend to get jealous of sorcerers from time to time in warzones, and even possibly in PVE situations, simply because of the massive amount of control and damage they're capable of putting out. I've specced Darkness since I'm a tank, and I seem to be fairly stout in warzones and didn't have any trouble with any of my class quests while leveling, aside from the end to Chapter I. My sorc buddy just rolled right through it (it's a ranged-friendly encounter), and both of us were at level or slightly below for that encounter.

If I had to pick again, I think I'd have gone sorc. It really doesn't take too long to level to the end of Balmorra (if you want to spend a few days to a week for each AC to choose), so I'd advise leveling one of each AC to 25 or so to get a decent feel of what they're capable of and how they play.

Those few weeks you spend experimenting now will save you weeks of time spent rerolling if you decide you're not a fan at 50. (I'm currently leveling a sorcerer when I'm not playing WoW. I'm still kinda so-so on SWTOR in general due to time constraints and all, but I digress).

Do you like Lightning or do you like stealth/stabby stabby?

If you go assassin I suggest going deception until later levels. You don't really get the tools and abilities that make the other specs good until later on.

Assassin:

Melee with stealth
    Uses an Energy resource

The rotation for deception, at level 50, is this:

Voltaic Slash (melee) x2, Shock (10 yard lightning), Discharge (10 yard lightning)

Then it's a priority.

Assassinate (If below 30% or 20%, forgot)
    Discharge (if 5 stacks)
    Maul (if buff is up)
    Discharge (if less than 5 stacks)
    Shock (if 2 stacks)
    Voltaic Slash
    Basic melee swing

You get stacks for Shock from using Voltaic Slash. You get stacks for Discharge if your weapon charge deals damage.

In PvP, it's the same basic stuff. You have a vanish, an ability that removes all debuffs and makes you immune to force and tech abilities (most CC), a 2 second 150% sprint, a knockback, a 4 second, 4 yard interrupt on a 12 second cooldown, a 15 second 50% snare, and two taunts.

They also have 3 CCs. A 2 second cast time, 7 second that breaks on damage, a 4 second stun with a 30 yard range and 1 min CD, and a from stealth opener with a 45 second CD and stuns for 2 or 3 seconds.

I personally regret going Assassin over Sorc. Take that however you will.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-02-05 at 10:34 PM.

Deleted
    Let's make this easy for you, make a SORCERER! They are so OP and fun to play. Another good thing is that they can heal, something that the assassins cant which makes bossfights and pvp alot easier.

i play a 50 madness spec'd assassin, and its a ton of fun for me, it plays similiar to an unholy dk. you get a death and decay (death field) that heals you, 3 dots to worry about keeping up, and a couple buffs to worry about keeping up as well. its not as bursty as the other dps spec, which would prolly be better for pvp for said reason, but madness is a lot of fun for pve. id imagine the sorc madness tree plays like a lock, the talents are similiar.

I have jugg as main ... if you want to call it that after I started leveling sorc with lightning spec . Sometimes I feel quite op when procs line up. Like when thunderinb blast comes of cooldown and you just got yourself chain lightning proc ... oh and your affliction just procced you a lightning barrage!

Not to mention if you need to do lot of aoe, you can always do a lightning storm which also procs chain lightnings.
    Last edited by Morae; 2012-02-06 at 12:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Assassin:

Melee with stealth
    Uses an Energy resource

The rotation for deception, at level 50, is this:

Voltaic Slash (melee) x2, Shock (10 yard lightning), Discharge (10 yard lightning)

Then it's a priority.

Assassinate (If below 30% or 20%, forgot)
    Discharge (if 5 stacks)
    Maul (if buff is up)
    Discharge (if less than 5 stacks)
    Shock (if 2 stacks)
    Voltaic Slash
    Basic melee swing

You get stacks for Shock from using Voltaic Slash. You get stacks for Discharge if your weapon charge deals damage.

In PvP, it's the same basic stuff. You have a vanish, an ability that removes all debuffs and makes you immune to force and tech abilities (most CC), a 2 second 150% sprint, a knockback, a 4 second, 4 yard interrupt on a 12 second cooldown, a 15 second 50% snare, and two taunts.

They also have 3 CCs. A 2 second cast time, 7 second that breaks on damage, a 4 second stun with a 30 yard range and 1 min CD, and a from stealth opener with a 45 second CD and stuns for 2 or 3 seconds.

I personally regret going Assassin over Sorc. Take that however you will.
    You forgot another stun. Low Slash separates good sins from cookie cutter ones. Its my most crucial ability in PVP apart from CDs.

How to win as a Sin in PVP.

1. Know your targets. Sins either burst down dps or lockdown healers. A good healer is hard to kill but will make them between being effective and dying.
    2. Start in Stealth.
    3. Roll your CDs except
    4. Open with with Maul. Bad in PVE but this is PVP, burst matters.
    5. Depending on how they react (i.e. don't keyboard turn) start your Slash rotations.
    6. You should have 3 or more Discharge stacks but now. Use them.
    7. If your HP is good and energy is good, continue your rotation. Otherwise Blackout, Low Slash, then continue rotation.
    8. Your opponent should be at about 40%-30% now. If they are twitchy they blew their CC breaker on low slash. Vanish (Your energy is now your HP if you can't regan then you die), Maul if you got it, Electrocute. Slash rotation, Assassinate, probably finish with a discharge.
    9. Run into a corner, lick your wounds, repeat.

** There are tons of deviations from this, this is just the framework. I like to do all of this while circling my opponent. It throws a lot of people off actually. They want to keep you in front of them thus slowing their reaction time. Try not to fill their resolve bar. Low Slash is a low enough CD that it can be used to stun or interupt so save the resolve bar, Jolt, and Electrocute for only when you have to use them. When you get expertise gear I suggest pvping in Dark Charge (at least until the damning patch -.-), as the sacrificed dps is negligible with a bit of gear under your belt. DON'T BE SCARED TO POP CDs, they are low, use them, ALL OF THEM!

People argue against this spec but it works fine for me. Maybe RNG likes me?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200MZhGMRkhMrtzZf0c.1

As for PVE. Assassins do well on long fights compared to other melee. Our resources are easier to manage and we can afford to spend time at mid range if the boss strat calls for it. We have Recklessness which allows to at least continue dps when we are forced to back off a boss. Force Lightning also lets your regan energy while dpsing because your regan more than what it cost.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2012-02-06 at 02:35 AM.

I forgot about Low Slash. I really only use it as a pseudo-interrupt or as a defensive CC to sprint away since it breaks on damage. Which I don't need to do often, guess that's why I missed it. xD

I've also heard it's not a good idea to open with a Spike. I haven't really done much to test if the resolve is worth it.

Currently playing a 31 Sith Assassin, Darkness (Tank) specced, and thoroughly enjoying it.

I had been Deception (DPS), up until the damned Balmorra class quest to infiltrate some blasted hive, and Khem just died really really REALLY fast, so I geared 2V-R8 in Aim gear to heal me, respecced to tank, and demolished her.

95%+ of the time, I can run as Tank spec + DPS companion to make things go faster, or pull 2V if I need a healer.

While the end of Chapter 1 got a little hairy as Tank, I didn't die once (yay medpac).

Also, playing a frickin STEALTH TANK is awesome. You can Sap; what other tanks can do that, without initiating combat? I love my Darkness spec, though I'd be really really happy if they added dual-spec so I could go Darkness & Deception.

Assassin in deep madness spec are just insane for pvp and i rarely had an issue leveling in pve. So i'd go with that.