Page 1 of 2
LastLast

64 Bit WoW = Useless?

So I put on 64 bit WoW. I didn't notice any difference. I realised the service I use for lowering latency isn't supported by 64bit WoW. I return the game to 32bit version so that my latency reducer works.

Kind of meh right now.

Deleted
    It's unsupported and in BETA, if you don't like the "bugs" that comes with it, simply wait

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because you didn't find any noticeable difference doesnt mean it is useless.

Because of the 64bit client i now have at least 10 more fps than i usualy had. My computer handles miles better any situation with lots of players doing stuff, like 25man raids.

Anyone expected a huge performance increase with a simple porting to 64 bit is obviously clueless on the matter No offense!

I've noticed a dramatic increase in performance. I can actually play during the last 10% on heroic Ultrax 25.

Deleted
    We already have plenty of topics full of "omg huge increase" and "omg I didn't see a difference". I'll say it again, it's in BETA and unsupported, if you can't wait then you'll have to live with the issues, poor performance or huge performance increase that this placebo client provided.

Quote Originally Posted by primusl0l View Post
    I realised the service I use for lowering latency isn't supported by 64bit WoW. I return the game to 32bit version so that my latency reducer works.
    People still think these "latency lowering" scams work?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    People still think these "latency lowering" scams work?
    I play from Australia

If I don't use a latency reducer my game and in-game chat is delayed/unplayble @ 500+ms.

If I enable my latency reducer I get 175ms and chat is instant and spells actually go off much faster.

Sorry but not everyone is from the US or EU living next door to the server with sub 30ms and feels latency reducers are pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by primusl0l View Post
    I play from Australia

If I don't use a latency reducer my game and in-game chat is delayed/unplayble @ 500+ms.

If I enable my latency reducer I get 175ms and chat is instant and spells actually go off much faster.

Sorry but not everyone is from the US or EU living next door to the server with sub 30ms and feels latency reducers are pointless.
    You do realize it's not the proxy doing this, right? Proxying is an indirection step that can only increase your latency.

Just because it seems useless for you doesn't mean it's useless for everyone else. If you were expecting some night and day difference, then you were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Come on now. It's much better to get a stable connection to a local dedicated server that tunnels through to the WoW servers (i.e. Server to Server instead of Home PC to Server) than it is to get one that's unsteady because it has to travel under the sea.
    these server to server connections you're talking about, do they use subspace transmissions ? If not it still has to travel the sea.

On another note, "REDUCE YOUR PING" stuff is not a scam, im sure if you read up on it you could even tell why !

Come on now. It's much better to get a stable connection to a local dedicated server that tunnels through to the WoW servers (i.e. Server to Server instead of Home PC to Server) than it is to get one that's unsteady because it has to travel under the sea.
    What on earth are you talking about? You do know what you wrote is complete nonsense, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Krowz View Post
    I've noticed a dramatic increase in performance. I can actually play during the last 10% on heroic Ultrax 25.
    but they keep insisting your PC sucks, and it's clearly not wow doing it....

when suddenly some optimization and a 64bit client appear!

15+ Year Old Account
    Going inline with what other people are saying, the whole "I had a negative experience with something so it must be useless" is a terrible mentality to go by and will be met with hostility and other such attitudes.

Just because your experience was less than desired for yourself does not make it useless. Clearly it currently does not serve your needs. It's pretty early on so it will take a while for the 64-bit client to be hammered out, but if you read around and go to forums the reaction to the 64-bit client is nothing short of overwhelmingly positive reviews, and enough responses to show that it most certainly is not useless.

Sorry you did not find it an idea experience, many many other people did though, myself included.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The 10+ FPS performance increases that we're seeing are generally on systems that are well optimized and have 6+GB's of memory. If you have 4GB's of memory and figure you would see a dramatic gain you are sadly mistaken and probably need to spend a bit more time reading about 64 bit optimization.

Quote Originally Posted by Deafknight View Post
    On another note, "REDUCE YOUR PING" stuff is not a scam, im sure if you read up on it you could even tell why !
    But they are. If you'd study Networking Technology 101 you could even tell why! Disagree? Go on, explain how an indirection step in the public Internet can reduce latency?

Quote Originally Posted by Deafknight View Post
    these server to server connections you're talking about, do they use subspace transmissions ? If not it still has to travel the sea.
    But they are. If you'd study Networking Technology 101 you could even tell why! Disagree? Go on, explain how an indirection step in the public Internet can reduce latency?
    Since nobody here bothered to actually explain it or seem to think it's a sham, here's what the tunneling services do exactly, and why it works:

Normal internet traffic is totally democratic in a way that everybody using the bandwidth get exactly same speed by default. The way this is done is by simply dropping your connecting from time to time, and the network card automatically tries again after a while to see if you get through later. For web surfing or downloading warez this is not a problem since those applications do not need latency-sensitive connection, but for games it sucks if your packets get dropped and resent often.

Tunneling services have bought and paid for guaranteed bandwidth, let's say for example 10mbps will always get through from their server in Australia to their server in the US. These kinds of connections are everyday thing to big companies who for example need to use video confrencing. When you play via tunneling service, the company guarantees your traffic will always get priority overseas and will not get dropped, which in turn reduces lost packets and the latency.

In both cases the traffic between your computer and Blizzard goes through the same undersea cables, but when you're using tunneling services it's prioritized.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Tunneling services have bought and paid for guaranteed bandwidth, let's say for example 10mbps will always get through from their server in Australia to their server in the US. These kinds of connections are everyday thing to big companies who for example need to use video confrencing. When you play via tunneling service, the company guarantees your traffic will always get priority overseas and will not get dropped, which in turn reduces lost packets and the latency.
    And it's exactly this kind of vacuous techno babble that the companies use to sell you a useless service. You honestly believe that a) the bottle neck causing latency to increase from 175 to 500+ ms is the prioritization on the undersea link, and b) that the "ZOMG PING REDUCTION" service actually has bought a dedicated link on that cable? They buy their capacity from an upstream ISP just like everyone else and their traffic is going to be competing on the bottle neck just like everyone else, although all the traces I've seen from these services use only one server to forward the traffic.

And it's exactly this kind of vacuous techno babble that the companies use to sell you a useless service. You honestly believe that a) the bottle neck causing latency to increase from 175 to 500+ ms is the prioritization on the undersea link, and b) that the "ZOMG PING REDUCTION" service actually has bought a dedicated link on that cable?
    You really need to stop plugging the cracks in your skull with tinfoil.

If the tunneling service providers haven't bought dedicated bandwidth it's called a fraud. And since the tunneling services work in real life, it's not a sham nor advertising bullshit. Will not make as big difference as you say, but 600ms -> 350ms most people using those are seeing is totally realistic and will already make notable difference for online gaming.

They buy their capacity from an upstream ISP just like everyone else and their traffic is going to be competing on the bottle neck just like everyone else,
    You can buy guaranteed bandwidth if you can afford it. Of course there's a limit at the point when the tier1 ISPs have sold all their bandwidth and you have to compete with other 'guaranteed' connections, but it still is faster than the public overprovisioned links of home ISPs.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    @Brett Skullcrack, Actually the Leatrix Latency Fix will do this for free. Yes I know LLF is just a way to change registry settings for you but I can't be arsed find you the explanation elsewhere. The results will wary but when i played WoW, from Europe, on US server it changed my latency from around 400ms+- to 180ms+-.

I'm not sure what changed but last time I checked the "fix" didn't actually improve anything as my latency dropped to 140-180ms after X patch update. (and no not using the in game optimization).