10+ Year Old Account

On the search for Chainmail!

Ok, so here's the deal. My sister has a BJD (Ball-jointed doll) and anyone who knows anything about BJDs, knows how freaking expensive they and all their accessories and outfits cost. She's been after this warrior outfit (I can't find pics of it, the site that used to carry it has taken it down) and the outfit itself was running something like $300. Fuck all that nonsense. So I got the idea to make my own for her birthday.

The biggest snag so far is finding chainmail of that size. The outfit has a chainmail shirt, and short of making it myself (rofl, no thanks) I can't seem to find anything of that size. I don't require it to already be in shirt form, I can modify it myself. Anyone have any ideas?

I have all the rest of the materials I need, leather, metal, gems, etc. But if I can't get this shirt done, the whole outfit's not gonna work. It doesn't have to be 'authentic' chainmail; just some sort of mesh, of the appropriate size. She has one of the mid-sized BJDs; not sure on the exact measurements.

If I can get a hold of and make this shirt, I'll post pics of what it looks like when it's done :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Without know the exact size, it's a bugger to make any recommendations, but here goes...

First off, don't discount real chainmail. Whatever you do, do NOT make it from scratch (I've done it before, and 1ft by 1ft using 9mm steel rings took about 9 hours...). I'd recommend looking on ebay for chainmail - it's used as a fashion accessory, so you might be able to pick up some square patches up, then take some pliers to it. (If you're unsure of 4-in1, here's a decent guide to get you started http://www.redpandajewelry.com/pages...make-chainmail). If possible, try and get anodized aluminium instead of steel - no good buying something only to have it rust.

The only problem with real chainmail is the size difference - due to it being a tedious process, alot of people use bigger rings, making it look HUGE on a 50/60cm doll.

If you're deadset against that - there are some alternatives. I've seen Stringmail (which is basically knitted from wool, then sprayed silver - if you've ever seen LOTR or Stargate SG1 then you've seen it too). Alot of people use the mesh bags from apples/oranges and again, spray them silver.

Somewhere between the two is "Butchers Chainmail", usually comes in either apron or gloves, and is usually quite stretchy or springy... and doesn't weight a tonne! Is pretty cheap too.

Only other thing I can recommend is start readin' through some Cosplay forums - they'll usually have a few off the wall ideas

Hope that helps.

I am vaguely interested in what this ball joint doll is...never heard of it myself.

the closest thing i can think of is at allot of marine or fishing stores you can buy chainmail gloves for catching crayfish, crabs and other crustaceans that you could easily modify to a shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Shinryu View Post
    I am vaguely interested in what this ball joint doll is...never heard of it myself.
    You know what a ball joint is right? According to Wikipedia it's just a doll that incorporates a ball joint in the movable parts of the doll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the input Ordellan!

Yeah, 'real' chainmail is far too big. The doll she has is...I don't know, maybe a foot and a half tall? I'll be able to get measurements when I see her next. I actually think that 'butcher's chainmail' might be perfect! Just need to get a hold of one of those gloves :-P

Weight isn't an issue; I want it to be as real as possible. BJD outfits are professionally made, and they don't skimp on the details. This NEEDS to be real metal mesh, or nothing. My mother recommended the cloth stuff to me (and yes, I'm an avid SG-1 fan; I knew what you were talking about :-P) but again, I don't want this to look cheap.

Man. Now that I have a potential source for chainmail of the right size, I'm chomping at the bit to get this outfit made!

Shinryu, just google it. BJDs are extremely popular, usually female teens/early twenties, who are also usually huge anime fans or into cosplay. (Everyone in my sister's 'circle' are all of the above lol). Again, these dolls are freaking expensive; to order just a base doll, no airbrushing, no outfit, not extra parts, they're usually around $200-300, depending on which company you order it from. Fully bedecked, they can hit upwards of $5,000.

If I successfully make this outfit to the exacting standards of which I'm holding myself to, and she shows it around to her friends and they like it, I fully plan to start making outfits and selling them. Not just chainmail stuff; I'm actually not too bad behind a sewing machine :-) I have an extremely good sense for detail, and a great imagination. I could probably work up quite a few nice outfits if the money was good enough.

I'm in the process of sketching what the outfit will look like; when it's done, I'll find a scanner and post it, in case, for whatever reason, someone's actually interested in seeing this through :-P

Edit: To be more specific, these are 'fantasy' BJDs. Think anime characters in doll form. These are some pics of the basic idea: http://favim.com/image/13481/
    Last edited by endersblade; 2012-02-11 at 07:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

You could try looking for chainmail necklaces or bracelets, maybe even belts. Those have become pretty popular and they are usually made with small, light rings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    You know what a ball joint is right? According to Wikipedia it's just a doll that incorporates a ball joint in the movable parts of the doll.
    That Wikipedia page scares the shit out of me. Something about adults playing with dolls. Ugh, creepy.

Anyway, I know Thinkgeek sells chainmail shirts and a chainmail coif. They're sized for humans, but I suppose it'd be possible to essentially cut out a piece of the appropriate size and go from there, and maybe start with the smallest size. I think the shirt was like... $85 last time I was looking at Thinkgeek?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I've got materials, and experience.
    But... yeah,. it's crazy time consuming stuff to make.

http://bbrtki.deviantart.com/gallery/11433875

300$ is quite reasonable considering the time it takes to put together chain mail by hand.
    Ofc, you can always learn & do it yourself.
    It doesn't take much more than two pliers and a ton of wire, or pre-made rings.