New MoBo, old HDD

Hello All. A friend of mine recent bought me a new MoBo, due to my old one crashing. Since the crash I've been using a pre-built HP.

With the new MoBo i'm pretty sure i hooked everything up correctly (took a long time to make sure lol). But I couldn't get it to POST or BIOS with this current HDD I am using. Just a black screen would come up after I pressed either DEL or TAB

Is there something i need to configure before i switch this HDD to the new MoBo? This HDD is partitioned, having all the recovery files on the locked side.
    Thanks

Nope, as long as it is a SATA drive it should work fine with the new mobo. Check the BIOS and make sure it is detected / in the right position in the boot order. Exact error messages always help!

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    That shouldn't happen. POSTing the BIOS (or UEFI) occurs before HDD detection.

Sorry wasn't able to check up on the post till now. The HDD is a SATA, do you think I am doing something wrong?

So you are using the new mobo to replace the one in the pre built HP ? Is that what you are saying ? And how many hard drives are you using ? If you are only using one, locating the "SATA 1" plug on the mobo and just plugging that into the hard drive should work.

If you are using the old hard drive with windows installed on it, it SHOULD potentially work and would just start windows and detect new hardware, but it doesnt always work

If it is the Hp you are fixing, if it came with W7, you should be fine, make a run through of everything, make sure everything is connected properly.

When you say black screen, do you mean no signal? or is it a feed of a blank black screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Joerge View Post
    If it is the Hp you are fixing, if it came with W7, you should be fine, make a run through of everything, make sure everything is connected properly.

When you say black screen, do you mean no signal? or is it a feed of a blank black screen?
    Its a feed of blank black screen. Happens after i press TAB or DEL. I left it running for 30mins once, figured maybe it was needing to do something. I'm using a HP partitioned HDD. The rest of the tower is parts from Alienware. Friend of mine said maybe the HP HDD is stopping the BIOS/POST