Space Missions: Character Gear >>> Ship Capabilities

Does anyone have any insight as to how a character's personal gear affects/modifies/enhances your starship's performance?

The euphoria I reached at just hitting level 50 last night was quickly dashed to smithereens when I miserably failed at yet another space mission that was merely green to me... Problem is, I can't go gain another level to make it easier.

So, will my personal gear upgrades make my ship better?

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe ship upgrades are the only ways to increase damage done/taken

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwannknowlton View Post
    Does anyone have any insight as to how a character's personal gear affects/modifies/enhances your starship's performance?

The euphoria I reached at just hitting level 50 last night was quickly dashed to smithereens when I miserably failed at yet another space mission that was merely green to me... Problem is, I can't go gain another level to make it easier.

So, will my personal gear upgrades make my ship better?
    No, only ship upgrades make your ship better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your gear has no effect on how your starship performs in the slightest, you level only affects it through the availability of various starship upgrades. You can buy those from a vendor in the galactic trade market area of your fleet station

Buy starship upgrades from starship vendors or the GTN.
    Push 'c' and go to the Ship tab.
    Equip starship upgrades in their slots.
    Go do your space missions with your new upgrades.

As said, you need to upgrade your SHIP's gear, not your own. Without ship gear, its like running a flashpoint naked, on a track, while mobs attack you and you can't cc them.

Deleted
    on your fleet station you have two vendors that sell upgrades for your spaceship.

The first one will sell upgrades for credits, and they are "tiered" (beam generator 1, 3, 5, shield 1, 3, 5 etc..). At level 50 you should look at buying all the tier 5 equipments.

Then the second vendor will sell a few social items, chest and special one-time upgrades for space tokens (the one you collect when you complete a space mission).
    They are not necessary per se but provide a huge boost to your chance of success.
    - the power conversion module gives you more power where you need it. If you need to blast things faster, hit 1 to direct the energy to the blasters. Then when there is no target in sight, hit 2 to recharge your shields faster. It's like having an scottish engineer aboard.
    - the electronic warfare pod is very good on a few missions where you take massive damage at very precise timings. it allows you these few seconds of invulnerability when you can concentrate on blasting your objective away and not worry about your shields.
    - the EMP generator makes destroying mines a one button magic. It's wonderful in these two missions. For example, if you use it on the first minefield you go through and time it right (it has a 3 seconds build up time), you'll blow away 96 mines in one hit (out of the 175 necessary to complete the mission).
    - the proton torpedoes take a little practice to master, but will help you disable elements that are heavily shielded such as the capital ship bridge or the space station comm antenna.

Don't worry about missions being "grey" or "green", just start slow and easy, and gradually climb to the more difficult missions. A few of them are similar (same background / mission type) with ennemies being tougher and hitting you harder. So it's good to get some practice on the easier missions and then when comfortable tackle the more difficult ones that add "elite" starships and so on.

Go get them space ace!

At level 50 you need to be buying the epic ship upgrades that cybertech crafts. The rank 5 upgrades from the vendor are for low 40's...

If anyone lurking around here is on Port Nowhere-US, I can craft the epic ship upgrades.

You can easily finish every space mission in the game with rank 5 upgrades, which are purchasable from the fleet vendor. Rank 6 upgrades are unnecessary unless you're particularly bad at the space missions.

Quote Originally Posted by BeingRepressed View Post
    You can easily finish every space mission in the game with rank 5 upgrades, which are purchasable from the fleet vendor. Rank 6 upgrades are unnecessary unless you're particularly bad at the space missions.

SSSHHHHHHH!!!! Exactly how am I supposed to make credits if people realize this >.>

Because you know credits are SUPER hard to come by and all :-p
    Last edited by suspendedstasis; 2012-02-11 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeingRepressed View Post
    Yes, and I can eat steak with a spoon too, but I prefure to make things easy on myself :P

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Yes, and I can eat steak with a spoon too, but I prefer to make things easy on myself :P
    A more apt analogy might be the difference between eating a steak normally or having someone feed the steak to you. Still, credits are easy to come by, so it doesn't make a huge amount of difference either way.