Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Gw2 pvp questions

So after the big swtor pvp fail, I am yet back in the business as a waiting gamer.
    I did alot of reading up on Gw2 and I must say I am rather excited.

But I do have some questions that I would like answered.

* Is there a pvp lvling system apart from the normal character level system? If so, how does it work?
    * How does pvp gear play a part of this game? Is there even pvp gear?
    * Are there pvp specific stats?
    * Can you make macros?
    * How do you obtain gear while playing PVP only?
    * People say pvp based on skill, not on gear, how does this work in theory?

Whats the current state of the game? And is there an estimate on open beta? Or even a scheudle for a estimated release?

Any answers will be most helpfull, Ty.

Deleted
    Will try to answer the questions I can.

* Is there a pvp lvling system apart from the normal character level system? If so, how does it work?

You will be able to level your character in the WvWvW (World Vs. World Vs. World) battle. Though in WvWvW PvP you won't have all skills unlocked if you start from level 1, but your character will be treated as a level 80, with stats, HP, armor and damage

That's basically how you level in PvP.

If you join a ''battleground'' you will have all skills unlocked, and will be treated as level 80, your gear is balanced, so stats, damage and such are balanced between players, to make a very balanced gameplay, so you won't be able to have the latest best stag gear and 2 shot people, because this is all about skills, so no, I can't say there is any specific pvp gear, however, you will be rewarded Valor, which you can buy unique skins, so people see that you're a veteran pvp player.

Nope, as said above, all stats are balanced to make the perfect balanced gameplay in PvP, so there is no resilience and such.

* Can you make macros?

I don't really dare to answer, but i'm pretty sure you can't make macro to combine skills to 1 button, or /target last target

In WvWvW you can loot other players, they drop money, experience, and gear. Yes, other players drops gear that you can loot. I also think you're able to get Karma in WvWvW where you can buy gear with more stats on and such.

As you see in WoW, if you have't played for some time, and decides to do so one day. If you decide to join PvP, you will probably get one-shotted by (class) because his gear is so much more godly compared to yours stat wise.

If you balance the stats in PvP, it's so much easier to balance the classes/professions which ArenaNet have done pretty well, so it works, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajesto View Post
    Your level will be set to max during PVP.
    Everyone has the same gear in PVP
    No. Skills are also balanced differently for PVP and PVE, so no nerfing one and screwing over the other.
    * Can you make macros?
    Not that we've seen. You probably won't need them anyway.
    You can loot players in WvWvW, and there is a PVP currency called Glory
    Hopefully well. And anything has to be better than being roflstomped by someone just because of gear imo
    Whats the current state of the game? And is there an estimate on open beta? Or even a schedule for a estimated release?
    Very closed beta. Not yet. When it's ready.

Awesome, sounds epic. Finaly a game that looks sick on paper, hopefully they live up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Everyone has the same gear in PVP
    Small nitpick, Gear is equalized in competitive PVP, yes, but this is not true for WvWvW.

Small nitpick about the same gear in PvP bit. What Mif said above is true; however, the gear you do obtain is cosmetic in nature. So the very best sword might (for example) have 20 hp 30 crit as the base stats, but where you can differentiate your gear is through modifiers. So do you use more bleed damage, longer stun duration, faster dodge recharge, etc? You make choices based on your build, you compliment your build and what will work best to counter your enemy. This also applies to PvE, there's no one gear or build fits all in GW2. Adapting to the situation at hand is one of the major keys to success.

10+ Year Old Account
    there is no separate pvp progression (he's not asking about leveling your toon's actual level) besides earning qualifier points to earn entry into the monthy tournaments held by Anet (which isnt a progression system, you either not suck enough to enter or you dont)
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

So in instanced pvp you get normalized, and your gear also get normalized so its entirely down to your build, how you dodge and play?

In the wvwvw gear does mather? If so, is pvp and pve gear the same? Do you loot rng gear from people you kill in wvwvw?
    Its purely cosmetic? I am confused!

Thanks for the answers so far!

So in instanced pvp you get normalized, and your gear also get normalized so its entirely down to your build, how you dodge and play?

In the wvwvw gear does mather? If so, is pvp and pve gear the same? Do you loot rng gear from people you kill in wvwvw?
    Its purely cosmetic? I am confused!

Thanks for the answers so far!
    Instanced PvP is all normalized with custom skins instead of ever increasing stats. So you spend Glory on titles or more unique looking gear. It all comes down to your build and player skill, not gear.

In WvWvW you take your character in at whatever level they currently are with whatever skills/traits/gear that they have. You gain XP and loot will drop (probably from players) that's appropriate for your level. When you go in you go in as your level, but there will be a bolster effect to level 80 so that there's an even playing field to some extent, you just won't have the utility an actual level 80 has. So WvWvW is obviously inherently imbalanced, but it's to be expected. Thankfully 3 servers helps negate many imbalances most developers don't seem to understand in regards to open world PvP. When you want to stop playing in WvWvW you can just pop right back out into the PvE world and you take everything you gained with you. As for pvp and pve gear being the same, eventually gear will cap out right at 80 so past that point it will no longer matter other than the stat/builds/traits customization.

This game gotta be the best game ever on paper.
    Been checking some videos and stuff and its almost too good to be true. There gotta be a catch somewhere, hehe.

This game gotta be the best game ever on paper.
    Been checking some videos and stuff and its almost too good to be true. There gotta be a catch somewhere, hehe.
    Watch Totalbiscuits pvp ones

They also have not given us exact details on how the upscaleing in WvWvW will work. You'll be treated as an 80 even at level 1 so you'll stand a chance but they have said that a natural 80 will be more powerful than an upleveled 70 who in turn will be more powerful an an upleveled 60 and so on. It could just be that they bring you up to the baseline stats for 80 but the higher level folks will have stronger gear to give them an edge. However its likely that those baseline stats will be a higher % of your total effectivenes vs the wow system where 90% of it comes from your gear.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    They also have not given us exact details on how the upscaleing in WvWvW will work. You'll be treated as an 80 even at level 1 so you'll stand a chance but they have said that a natural 80 will be more powerful than an upleveled 70 who in turn will be more powerful an an upleveled 60 and so on. It could just be that they bring you up to the baseline stats for 80 but the higher level folks will have stronger gear to give them an edge. However its likely that those baseline stats will be a higher % of your total effectivenes vs the wow system where 90% of it comes from your gear.
    I think the idea is that the extra utility, skills n such, from players who are level 80 is what will drive them to be more powerful, rather than the stronger gear. More so. As Omlech says though it will certainly still be imbalance to some extent.

That's an interesting point about the baseline. Don't know if that's been covered anywhere yet.

They'll probably cover it really soon when they release more pvp news. Baseline has been a hot topic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad hat man View Post

In WvWvW you can loot other players, they drop money, experience, and gear. Yes, other players drops gear that you can loot. I also think you're able to get Karma in WvWvW where you can buy gear with more stats on and such.
    Now that is really cool but I take it that better stats and so on is only while you level up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    Now that is really cool but I take it that better stats and so on is only while you level up?
    If you're using WvWvW to level up you can get armor by looting dead players or through a currency called glory. Since you'll be leveled up to 80 and your gear scaled up while in WvWvW you won't get a huge benefit, but it will be more powerful back in the "real world" for dynamics events and dungeons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    Instanced PvP is all normalized with custom skins instead of ever increasing stats. So you spend Glory on titles or more unique looking gear. It all comes down to your build and player skill, not gear.

In WvWvW you take your character in at whatever level they currently are with whatever skills/traits/gear that they have. You gain XP and loot will drop (probably from players) that's appropriate for your level. When you go in you go in as your level, but there will be a bolster effect to level 80 so that there's an even playing field to some extent, you just won't have the utility an actual level 80 has. So WvWvW is obviously inherently imbalanced, but it's to be expected. Thankfully 3 servers helps negate many imbalances most developers don't seem to understand in regards to open world PvP. When you want to stop playing in WvWvW you can just pop right back out into the PvE world and you take everything you gained with you. As for pvp and pve gear being the same, eventually gear will cap out right at 80 so past that point it will no longer matter other than the stat/builds/traits customization.
    WvWvW sounds exactly what I've been looking for. Shame about no regular world PvP though.

---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 01:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    If you're using WvWvW to level up you can get armor by looting dead players or through a currency called glory. Since you'll be leveled up to 80 and your gear scaled up while in WvWvW you won't get a huge benefit, but it will be more powerful back in the "real world" for dynamics events and dungeons.
    Thnx, good to know.

glory can be earned in WvWvW too? Thought this is for the other PvP mode only

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    glory can be earned in WvWvW too? Thought this is for the other PvP mode only
    Actually you're probably right.

Edit: Yep, Glory is from structured only, my bad
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glory

Last edited by Pushkina; 2012-01-22 at 02:47 PM.
    Be patience I am dyslexic..