Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    If somebody I know talks to me in "Text speak", even on a text message, I cut them out of my life completely. So to answer the great debate; Y = Goodbye, I'm never speaking to you again.
    This is the correct response.

Everyone lets do a test.

To people against abbreviations type why over and over 100 times.

To people who love abbreviations type y over and over 100 times.

Let's see who does it faster

Do me a favor and don't correct my spelling/grammar. I browse this site with a cell phone. Try harder next time to be an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by scdogg44 View Post
    Guessing you've never heard the term "smarter not harder".

People like you make me want to slam my face into a desk, basing peoples typing/shortcuts and ASSUMING they are less intelligent.
    It's actually a pretty safe assumption. Considering that typically an auto-complete list on a smart phone has three words on it; meaning that any three letter word that doesn't begin with a letter that in and of itself can form a word the entire word will be there as soon as you tap in the first letter (and it will automatically insert the space for you.) So it is actually less effort in that case to just enter the entire word; plus you don't have to worry about the meaning of your message being lost to ambiguity (which on it's own makes it more logical to use complete words).

Why is a little more of a crapshoot because of the fact that WH is a very common way for a word to begin, but as soon as you tap in "y" yes usually pops up immediately.

So why use complete spelling instead of "text speak"? Because it's less ambiguous and more logical; which indicates a greater level of literary intelligence and also on an emotional level shows that the person is willing to put in the effort to have an eloquent conversation with you even when the only medium currently available is as restrictive as a text message.

So when people use text speak I make them sound dumber in my head by reading it phonetically. "U R" I read as "Urrrrr" for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    iPhone's and this website to really mesh very well. Going back to correct an auto correct, is time consuming. Seeing how I'm not on this website to prove my intelligence, I will continue to not care.

Are you grading me on my posts? No, so stop trying to act like you are smarter then me, or anyone else because when it really boils down to it, it's we just don't care.

I think correcting people on there grammar should be against terms on forums because it's usually just starts fights and your sitting there trying to make fun of the person because he/she doesn't sit there and correct every little mistake.

If you can read what I'm saying, who cares, move on. It's a forum ffs = for fu*ks sake.
    I'm not acting smarter. I'm acting less lazy. And like I said, you're welcome not to care what I think, but I'm going to continue to be less willing to take posts written in leetspeak less seriously. I ordinarily wouldn't even mention it aloud, but this is a thread promoting the usage of a vernacular I find incredibly annoying, so I thought I'd chime in.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    No he's right. People will assume you are an illiterate 12-year old.

Can't see any reason why you'd want people to think that of you, unless you're trying to be pedophile-bait.
    Thank you lol this made me laugh.

Do me a favor and don't correct my spelling/grammar. I browse this site with a cell phone. Try harder next time to be an ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does it irritate you? Do you understand it?

And to all the haters on this subject, if you are telling me you NEVER abbreviate words I'm calling BS.
    It irritates me because it makes the speaker appear like a very young kid and it makes it hard for me to take you seriously. If you want someone to listen to you, then market yourself as someone who takes himself seriously.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Illuwin View Post
    Yes = Yes and Why = Why, 'text' shorthand makes anyone that uses it look completely moronic.
    Agreed...fully (10?)

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'm not acting smarter. I'm acting less lazy. And like I said, you're welcome not to care what I think, but I'm going to continue to be less willing to take posts written in leetspeak less seriously. I ordinarily wouldn't even mention it aloud, but this is a thread promoting the usage of a vernacular I find incredibly annoying, so I thought I'd chime in.
    Yes an seeing how your opinion doesn't matter because it adds no contribution to the thread. Might want to go to another thread then.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    iPhone's and this website to really mesh very well. Going back to correct an auto correct, is time consuming. Seeing how I'm not on this website to prove my intelligence, I will continue to not care.
    That is QUITE apparent.

Also, people going so far out of their way to let others know they don't care...usually care the most.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Are you grading me on my posts? No, so stop trying to act like you are smarter then me, or anyone else because when it really boils down to it, it's we just don't care.

I think correcting people on there grammar should be against terms on forums because it's usually just starts fights and your sitting there trying to make fun of the person because he/she doesn't sit there and correct every little mistake.

If you can read what I'm saying, who cares, move on. It's a forum ffs = for fu*ks sake.
    pointing out something like 'using 'txt-speke' makes you appear moronic' is quite a lot different than harping on grammar, or actually calling someone an idiot for using that manner of typing. Appearance and fact are different, although technically this is another language nitpick as I am talking about the nuanced definitions of words.

example: You used three references of the word "There" when you should have used one "Their" and then "there" and "there" (the second and third reference were used correctly).

pointing it out makes me look like a robot, and pretty stupid myself, as I often make grammatical, capitalization or punctuation mistakes when typing. I'm sure there are plenty of mistakes in this post of mine.

example 2: if someone were to respond 'y u no typ lik dis? It ezier.'

its a logical assumption that the individuals keyboard is broken, they have a language impairment, or they appear to be a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    That is QUITE apparent.

Also, people going so far out of their way to let others know they don't care...usually care the most.
    This I agree with. I've definitely learned throughout the years that those who claim to not care, care the most, because if somebody genuinely doesn't care then they don't typically bother to defend their position.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes an seeing how your opinion doesn't matter because it adds no contribution to the thread. Might want to go to another thread then.
    I'm going to go ahead and just not accept your judgment of my contribution to this thread. Making assertions like that doesn't really make me want to leave or change my opinion.

The thing is I'm not even attacking you or telling you to stop writing like that. I'm just trying to tell you that when you do type in leetspeak, it will be viewed by a large cross-section of the public as lazy, and possibly make you look like a 12 year old.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-02-17 at 05:23 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It's actually a pretty safe assumption. Considering that typically an auto-complete list on a smart phone has three words on it; meaning that any three letter word that doesn't begin with a letter that in and of itself can form a word the entire word will be there as soon as you tap in the first letter (and it will automatically insert the space for you.) So it is actually less effort in that case to just enter the entire word; plus you don't have to worry about the meaning of your message being lost to ambiguity (which on it's own makes it more logical to use complete words).

Why is a little more of a crapshoot because of the fact that WH is a very common way for a word to begin, but as soon as you tap in "y" yes usually pops up immediately.

So why use complete spelling instead of "text speak"? Because it's less ambiguous and more logical; which indicates a greater level of literary intelligence and also on an emotional level shows that the person is willing to put in the effort to have an eloquent conversation with you even when the only medium currently available is as restrictive as a text message.

So when people use text speak I make them sound dumber in my head by reading it phonetically. "U R" I read as "Urrrrr" for example.
    I am guessing your level of intelligence is just so high that even when you speak you have a hard time understand what you just said?

Did I hit the nail on the head?

Deleted
    most of peoples i know use Y = why

because y and why are almost sound same i think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuwin View Post
    example 2: if someone were to respond 'y u no typ lik dis? It ezier.'
    My brain always automatically voices phrases typed like that in a whiny high pitched voice.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    That is QUITE apparent.

Quite apparent??

Go read all my posts, I have not shortened any word and I am on a cell phone.

I just don't sit here and bitch like you people do. It doesnt bother me if people make mistakes.

What bothers me are the people correcting those people who CHOOSE to be that way.

Yes but it's quite apparent I'm a dumbass in real life. You guys figured me out!

I didn't read all the posts but i hope someone said this allready. That would mean at least one more person has a normal working brain...
    Y = a letter
    Yes = Yes but yeah, ye, yep, HELL YEAH might do aswell
    Why = Why?

Y U NO TYPE FULL??? should be Why don't you type full word?
    Y U SAI Y? we will now say; Why didn't you say yes?

Seriously the whole Y & U thing gets annoying it's not that much of your time to actually use full words

Deleted
    i usually type ye and why, only type when i use y as "why" is when i say something like " y u nO"

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am guessing your level of intelligence is just so high that even when you speak you have a hard time understand what you just said?

Did I hit the nail on the head?
    Well to the outside observer, he appears to be a lot smarter than you.

My two cents.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    My brain always automatically voices phrases typed like that in a whiny high pitched voice.
    One of the best days of my daily internet life was when facebook added the "Ignore new threads" options. I have two sister in-laws in the preteen to early teen years and I want to stab my eyes out reading how horrific the short hand and general understanding of the language is.