Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    they pretty much copied BC, but then made little changes everywhere that made it super annoying

pvp is extremely stale because the game engine just cant do fast paced action. the 'ability delay', which they've cleaned up a little bit, is still there, and keeps forcing itself into the action. if you're getting focused, and people keep knockbacking or putting other CCs or effects on you, all the animations get crowded and you basically get locked down by them when you shouldnt be. i've been in situations where i was basically unable to retaliate, because the string of attacks on me was forcing me to wait through so many little .5sec animations. even though i wasnt even truely being CC'd.

in WoW, the instant you hit the ground after being punted, you can start running back at your target. in swtor, theres a small delay, for the animation of you getting up, before you can start moving.

for someone that hasnt played swtor. think of the animation associated with Throwdown. think about how much complaint there is around the fact that you can trinket it instantly, but still be stuck in the animation of getting up for a fraction of a second. now, imagine EVERY CC, and even other non-CC effects did that. thats swtor PVP. also, imagine almost EVERY class has a short CD knockback.

its not fun. it gets old quickly
    Last edited by asharia; 2012-02-20 at 11:51 PM.

Deleted
    Meh again topix like this. If you want to try the game, go ahead. The game is extremely fun up to level 50 and then just simply fun. For me. Personally. My personal opinion.

Now that we clarified that - there are bugs, there are exploits, they get fixed. If the 1.2 patch hits in March I'll be happy. In the meantime I'm having fun in Ilum PvP (as a Rep I'm always outnumbered but the fights are still nice and we win around 40-50%), doing some ops Normal/Hm (on main or alts), and just finished leveling my second 50. As long as you don't plan on playing 15 hours a day for 60 days in a row, the game has enough content to keep you busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    While it's easy to judge a game that's already been released... it is a bit unfair to compare it to a game that has not.

On the other hand, there's been lots of info and gameplay to come out in regards to GW2, and it looks promising. Their devs are VERY open about the game.
    These two sentences contradict themselves. If they're open about the game and telling people about it, people are going to compare it to already-existing games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    It's doing just fine now all the stupid people who ruined WoW have left.
    This. Exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    think about how much complaint there is around the fact that you can trinket it instantly, but still be stuck in the animation of getting up for a fraction of a second. now, imagine EVERY CC, and even other non-CC effects did that. thats swtor PVP. also, imagine almost EVERY class has a short CD knockback.
    Don't forget the outstanding part where you have to grind that valor rank for months in the same three warzones, over and over...

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    All this talk as if SWTOR is an old game that's failing and all the hype has worn off... it doesn't even get released in my country until next month -_-
    It will be interesting to see what kind of numbers international sales will bring.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    So open that people are making wild speculations about a game under an NDA and hailing it as the the one game. Literally the thread for the game on the mmo-c gw forums is called THE ONE THREAD. People never learn... I don't mean to be negative incidentally I hope GW2 is stellar. At the same time I've noticed an alarming trend to turn almost every topic about swtor into some advertisement for GW2. It's annoying frankly.
    Well, the devs have taken all the compliments and all the complaints people have had about MMORPGs for years, and used that info to make GW2. Dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but we'll see soon enough. I give them credit for doing it though, and for not just copying the standard MMORPG (eg WOW). I don't think people should see ANY video game as some kinda 2nd coming of Christ and the bringer of their salvation... it's kinda twisted and disturbing if you ask me.

(The thread is named the one thread, because it's so old, that it was the official one thread on the forums, ie no other threads were really allowed, and they were all merged into that one thread. That was before GW2 got its own subforum.)

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    imagine almost EVERY class has a short CD knockback.
    Knock backs are a joke if you know how to handle it. It adds another dimension to the pvp really. You have to situational awareness and make sure your back is against a wall or osbtacle. Huttbal is littered with them.

Knock backs are a joke if you know how to handle it. It adds another dimension to the pvp really. You have to situational awareness and make sure your back is against a wall or osbtacle. Huttbal is littered with them.
    I think the point they're trying to make is that it becomes quite tedious when every single class/advanced spec has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Well, the devs have taken all the compliments and all the complaints people have had about MMORPGs for years, and used that info to make GW2. Dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but we'll see soon enough. I give them credit for doing it though, and for not just copying the standard MMORPG (eg WOW). I don't think people should see ANY video game as some kinda 2nd coming of Christ and the bringer of their salvation... it's kinda twisted and disturbing if you ask me.

(The thread is named the one thread, because it's so old, that it was the official one thread on the forums, ie no other threads were really allowed, and they were all merged into that one thread. That was before GW2 got its own subforum.)
    I'll quote from their website because when I read this I found it rather humorous and all to familiar.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...ents-overview/

Walls of text are just an outdated form of story telling
    The subtext behind calling it the one thread is all to familiar as well unfortunately.

---------- Post added 2012-02-21 at 12:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jahrastafari View Post
    I think the point they're trying to make is that it becomes quite tedious when every single class/advanced spec has them.
    Tedious or an added dimension to pvp. It really depends on how you look at it. I know every time I'm up against a sorc or sage I keep in mind how my back is facing and try and guide the fight. It usually works because most people just blow their knock back as soon as you get on them but it doesn't always work. Awareness is key.

Tedious or an added dimension to pvp. It really depends on how you look at it. I know every time I'm up against a sorc or sage I keep in mind how my back is facing and try and guide the fight. It usually works because most people just blow their knock back as soon as you get on them but it doesn't always work. Awareness is key.
    When you're rank 55, and you've been playing Huttball for over 300 hours, trust me, it's tedious, not a 'challenging dimension to pvp.'

Not every AC has a knockback

When you're rank 55, and you've been playing Huttball for over 300 hours, trust me, it's tedious, not a 'challenging dimension to pvp.'
    Interesting. One could make the argument that when you do something in excess it would of course become tiring. I found trying to LoS mana burn in arena EXTREMELY tedious after a short while. I suppose we'll just have to disagree on this note.

yeah

except things like stuns, roots, snares and server lag basically make this impossible

coupled with the fact that huttball is 90% tiny bridges. and some knockbacks are so huge it doesnt matter which way you're facing

edit: having little control over where your character moves half the time is NOT good game design. and its definitely NOT fun for anyone on the receiving end.

Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    It's doing just fine now all the stupid people who ruined WoW have left.
    Pretty much this. Most of the idiots who expected it to be WoW in Space are gone. The game is still doing fine, but the hype for attracting that crowd is gone. This is a good thing. Now would actually be a good time to start SWTOR, cause most of the people left (a lot of them, trust me) accept the game for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    These two sentences contradict themselves. If they're open about the game and telling people about it, people are going to compare it to already-existing games.
    Not the same thing. While it's great that they tell us so much about the game 3-4 months before release... you still can't compare. SWTOR is a game being played by over a million customers. GW2 has been played by a few hundred people, for what is no more than 48 hours each.

The game needed another 6 months of polish before release. The players wanted it NOW, "we dont care about bugs, we want it NOW", so they got it MOW with all the bugs. There is a reason all new content is coming out fast, some of it was supposed to be in at launch.

The voice acting is incredible, story lines that i played were awesome. Unfortunately my computer was at the lower end and with that and all the bugs it effected my game play. So I took a break until some of the bugs are fixed and hopefully I can upgrade my computer. But I will be back to playing all my characters.

7 Imps, 1 Rep on 1 rp server (I liked the look of a Scoundrel I created and couldnt recreate the look)
    8 Reps on 1 rp server
    8 Names save on 1 PE server
    1 Name save on 1 PE server (finally able to get Ares)

I'll quote from their website because when I read this I found it rather humorous and all to familiar.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...ents-overview/

Walls of text are just an outdated form of story telling
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? Walls of text ARE an outdated form of storytelling. I'm glad that the newer MMORPGs are realizing this.

Leveling is fun, but anything end-game took too long and wasn't worth it. A lot of the dungeons are way too long. You instantly get the feel that it's going to be a grindfest once you hit 50 between all the different commendations and the rate they trickle in.

I don't feel like working an 8 hour day to come home and run a 2+ hour dungeon for a dinky amount of commendations after waiting 30 or so minutes to put a group together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ap0calypse View Post
    This isnt the mmo you are looking for.
    You can go about your business.
    Move along.
    In all seriousness, guild wars 2 is looking to be the mmo that will set the new standard in the industry, not swtor, which, although it sounds like I'm trolling I'm not, is just WoW but with a Star Wars setting.
    wrong section, about 3 up for the gw2 circle jerk
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    Why dont you tell us?
    heh
    indeed a good question
    Don't forget the outstanding part where you have to grind that valor rank for months in the same three warzones, over and over...
    oh please "have too" battlemaster gear is a very small improvement upon champion and it's not hard to get champion with the bag changes
    Last edited by Enosh; 2012-02-21 at 12:31 AM.