Page 16 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I get the whole unwritten rules thing, but why the hell do you as a pitcher go, "welcome to the big leagues", and then give the guy a free on base? Seems like that's the worst way to approach it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    The only thing positive about that was the fact the Nats got their retribution - should be done now
    yea it sounds like the umpires handled it properly, I've seen them botch situations like this so many times in the last decade, where they issue a warning immediately and don't even give the other team the opportunity to retaliate without ejection, where in this case, they warned both benches after the retaliation, effectively making sure that everyone knew it was over and done with, the way its supposed to happen objectively

umpires in modern baseball try to interfere too much, something like this can take its normal course without them butting in and its nice to see them recognize that every so often, as opposed to the Kershaw game last year where he was effectively warned before the game even started and given no margin for error, and got ejected rather brazenly

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    umpires in modern baseball try to interfere too much, something like this can take its normal course without them butting in and its nice to see them recognize that every so often, as opposed to the Kershaw game last year where he was effectively warned before the game even started and given no margin for error, and got ejected rather brazenly
    Yeah, Ron Gardenhire is known for getting thrown out of games. But nothing gets him more riled up than when he gets a warning because the other team's pitcher hit someone. He's not going to order a retaliation... he just thinks it's complete bullshit (which it is) that if his guy slips a little bit, he (Gardenhire and his pitcher both) might get tossed. I know umpires have discretion and can choose not to eject for a hbp after a warning, but... yeah, I want to watch baseball and not even realize the umpires are there.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    That reminded me of something I saw on a Twins blog yesterday...
    sorry, but that Twins blogger is out of his mind. perfectly justified to steal home after being "taught a lesson" by a schmuck pitcher that really ought to be suspended for more than 5 games (which is one start) but that seems to be Bud's standard "warning suspension"

now I won't say that Harper hasn't honked off a few people along the way, and I never understood the Gene Simmons look-alike eye black, but if you're gonna plunk a guy, you gotta be ready to get the rest of the outs without the guy getting a CHANCE to cross the plate, otherwise it's just making yourself look bad (as if Hamels needs any help in THAT department...)
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Won't even be a start as the Phillies have already said that as the Phillies have an off day they'll flip Hamels start with Halladay's so Halladay will pitch on regular rest, so the punishment is purely symbolic as opposed to any real effect.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

So francisco liriano went from one of the most exciting young pitchers in baseball to someone that should not be playing for a major league team in only two years. Sad I blame hiim staying with us (The twins) all the other young pitchers that leave MN turn out great. RA dickey, garza. QQQQQQQQ

---------- Post added 2012-05-08 at 03:04 AM ----------

Also, pujols had a "good" game RBI/team wise today, but his average dropped BELOW .200!! Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    So francisco liriano went from one of the most exciting young pitchers in baseball...
    Eh, he's been good in one and a half seasons--2006, unstoppable... until TJ; and 2010. Should have flipped him for Montero after 2010 when they had the chance (The Yanks were looking for pitching, Cliff Lee went to the Phils, and that left Carl Pavano as the next best free agent starter). Wouldn't have been a one for one trade most likely, but the Twins have some excessive OF depth in the low minors that could have evened it out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Detroit couldn't save a game to save their damn life this season. Of all the areas of weakness, who would have thought that they would have went from being shutdown in every save situation last year to be so shaky this season. Big Potato has blown three or four saves. Dotel blew another one yesterday in the ninth.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Indians starting to look at least a little legit, doubleheader sweep against the palehose, 2-1 against Texas over the weekend (and gave Yu his first MLB loss, even though that's a completely useless stat) 2-1 against the Halos IN LA... still a very young team but very exciting to watch
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Josh Hamilton hit 4 hrs last night. When that man gets hot he can be scary lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    Josh Hamilton hit 4 hrs last night. When that man gets hot he can be scary lol.
    And his double in the 5th inning landed on the warning track. 18 total bases in the game, the new AL record.

10+ Year Old Account
    1 shy of the ridiculous Shawn Green game, not bad

that one was a 6 for 6 with 6 runs scored and 19 total bases if anybody forgot

but he was a triple short of hitting for the cycle, shame

More Beckett drama at the Red Sox, this time round apparently playing golf after a scratched start due to stiffness - boy you'd think after the whole Beer & Chicken thing last year that he'd have learned his lesson.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    More Beckett drama at the Red Sox, this time round apparently playing golf after a scratched start due to stiffness - boy you'd think after the whole Beer & Chicken thing last year that he'd have learned his lesson.
    He made it even better last night. He gets yanked after getting 7 outs and giving up 7 runs. Then it the press conference his attitude was basically I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks I'll do what I want on my off days. His comments were so far off the mark yesterday.

Yeah not a very clever guy, sorry to say it but he's too big for his boots, couple of world series rings and the guy thinks he's above the ballclub, combine that with the fact Pedroia's already told Bobby V that's not how they do things and it becomes obvious that the man (Bobby Valentine) has no control over that clubhouse. Yes it's Beckett's choice what he does on his off day, but if you've missed a start it's not really all that bright to go and play golf, something that can make the situation worse! I said the same thing when Joba busted his ankle, it's a dumb move and he should have known better, especially given the situation the red sox find themselves in where they're getting shlacked by anyone and everyone!

15+ Year Old Account
    At least with Joba his new injury was a completely freak accident. Ya he shouldn't have put himself in that position, but no one could predict he could get hurt that badly. After all the controversy last year, which Beckett was more concerned with being pissed at someone leaking it than it actually happening, Beckett should have used his head. You don't go golfing when you are missing starts for an upper body injury that golfing could aggravate.

Bobby V never should have taken that job. He is an explosive guy by himself that brings controversy. Why mix that with Boston, a franchise that is a complete pile of shit from the top down. The owners are total assholes, the roster is filled with holes, huge paychecks, and bigger personalities, the media in Boston is the worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see why Francona had such a laid back style there, if he had been as intense as Valentine he would've gone insane

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah my A's beat Conscripts Tigers tonight I probably wont get to say that much this year but tonight I get to :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hamilton is a beast right now, 18 home runs and 9 in the last 6 games.

Would be nice to see Washington, and Baltimore make the playoffs this year. I always like to see new teams in the playoffs rather then the same teams.