Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    You don't often get the chance to shatter them, with how fast they die, and the time it takes to realize they're being targeted at all.

As I already said, with Scepter, illusion generation is fine. With Sword it even works out.
    But not so with Greatsword or Staff, both of which can greatly benefit from either illusions or shatters, with the right build, but have extremely slow illusion generation.
    Well, I may have missed if you've said this already, but perhaps just some weapon balancing/adjusting is needed, but the mechanic itself I see no reason to be changed. 2 handed sword I don't recall having an issue getting illusions, but perhaps thats where you need to choose your weapon swaps wisely. I imagine greatsword and staff together might not be the best choice, but either of them with almost any other setup you should be fine. There's also always utility abilities that can generate more if you feel you're not getting enough.

Deleted
    You guys know there's a trait that creates an illusion when you dodge right? And a 7-8-9 skill that summons two clones? I can't imagine playing without those - with them you can have any weapon and still get tons of illusions to shatter. I'm playing with the staff most of the time, with sword-torch for extra AoE and burst damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    More on topic, I've been wondering how many illusions you are able to have up at once? I was trying to fight 2 mesmers and I swear there were like 8 of them. O_O
    Only 3. No more.

---------- Post added 2012-08-30 at 06:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    I can't imagine playing without those - with them you can have any weapon and still get tons of illusions to shatter.
    Which I consider to be bad illusion design, personally. O_o

If Mesmers didn't have shatters, I'd see nothing wrong with relying on utilities for reliable illusion generation. But Mesmers do have shatters.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-30 at 11:01 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    I don't know, some people may prefer the phantasm utility skills instead and hold back on the shatters, if they want to sacrifice damage for utility/survivability. There seem to plenty of "viable" choices really, though the clones-on-dodge trait is obviously cookie cutter compared to how crappy most of the other choices are.
    Last edited by mmoc9f738f0006; 2012-08-30 at 11:21 PM.

Deleted

If Mesmers didn't have shatters, I'd see nothing wrong with relying on utilities for reliable illusion generation. But Mesmers do have shatters.
    I play a build which focuses on using clones for dmg increases, dmg protection and so on. So I keep my illusions up as much as possible and have not problems. Bringing out phantasms when I can, but keeping my clones at 3 with illusions. They stay alive pretty easy, or I replace them quickly.

I use shatters for burst, or for surivival. I dont think the point is that you spam shatters, I think you are supposed to use them tactically.

Been running the same build in WvWvW and PvE, and been doing well. Amazing how much survival I have in WvWvW, can jump right into the enemy line to get off finishers and then make it out alive again. And I'm finding I have a decent dmg output sustained with supprising burst for pve, and again I have masses of survival ability.

I was going to be a guardian, but due to their lack or ranged I went mesmer, and damm, its fun and effective.

Anyone know how much range is increased on the trait that increases manipulation skills range, was thinking of trying it if it's a good increase for blink.

Deleted
    But not so with Greatsword or Staff, both of which can greatly benefit from either illusions or shatters, with the right build, but have extremely slow illusion generation.

I run with a GS + Staff build, with correct skills and traits I dont lack for clones.

Yeah, got ignored again, I guess responding to a post that tries to be helpful is hard DrakeWurrum. As everyone else has said though, I've had no trouble keeping Illusions out, I don't shatter them too often mainly because I sPvP with a build meant to confuse, I usually use shatter for distortion to getaway and sometimes a stun to get a kill but other than that, the more then better, the more that are spawning randomly the better imo. Don't know why he's so upset. He keeps saying it's so weapon dependent and that they die so fast and that he can't get enough up long enough, which he's either lying or he's playing the class COMPLETELY wrong, I have no idea what he's talking about and I've tried a vast amount of weapon/utility/trait combos now.

Just tried to do some WvW with Sword/Sword and it was just horrible. #3 doesn't seem to work at all, #2 is terrible because it roots you in place and can't be used on a moving target (which is everyone), #4 is pretty underwhelming as well because it just blocks a single attack and it has HUUUGE latency issues. Not to mention that playing melee in general seems to be pretty bad in bigger fights.
    I like the staff but I'm really not sure what I should use as secondary weapon, scepter + greatsword doesn't seem that great either.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Just tried to do some WvW with Sword/Sword and it was just horrible. #3 doesn't seem to work at all, #2 is terrible because it roots you in place and can't be used on a moving target (which is everyone), #4 is pretty underwhelming as well because it just blocks a single attack and it has HUUUGE latency issues. Not to mention that playing melee in general seems to be pretty bad in bigger fights.
    I like the staff but I'm really not sure what I should use as secondary weapon, scepter + greatsword doesn't seem that great either.
    It roots you yes, but thats why you use illusionary leap first then swap, which roots them and use it instantly after. Offhand sword though I agree is pretty useless. I wanted it to work but I ended up switching to focus for the swiftness ability that also throws people around like crazy, which is actually pretty nice in those huge battles. On top of the focus phantasm being better for wvw because of all the ranged attacks going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    #3 works perfectly fine, but you have to be within the 600 range.
    #2 is amazing, its our top burst spell and its AoE to boot, You just need to prep it up with stun or immobilize.

Also, try using Pistol as Offhand, works much better then sword/sword imo.

Also why is it that I get the impression people complaining about illusion generation seem to think you can only use 1 weapon? YOU HAVE TWO FOR A REASON FOLKS! Phantasms alone have ridiculous burst when you use Berserker + Duelist (Sword/Pistol + GS).
    Last edited by Nikijih; 2012-08-31 at 03:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikijih View Post
    #3 works perfectly fine, but you have to be within the 600 range.
    #2 is amazing, its our top burst spell and its AoE to boot, You just need to prep it up with stun or immobilize.

Also, try using Pistol as Offhand, works much better then sword/sword imo.

Also why is it that I get the impression people complaining about illusion generation seem to think you can only use 1 weapon? YOU HAVE TWO FOR A REASON FOLKS! Phantasms alone have ridiculous burst when you use Berserker + Duelist (Sword/Pistol + GS).
    I personally prefer Sword/Sword SIGNIFICANTLY more then Sword/Pistol, i don't get why you mesmers seem to have wet dreams about the pistol off hand, i personally think it's not nearly as good...

However i do highly agree that if you have Berserker + Duelist/Swordsman out then you'll just be raping face! It's fucking hysterically funny to watch...

PS: 2 illusionary warlocks and an illusionary mage in group fights = absolute ownage with how many conditions seem to be flying around
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Probably because the pistol phantasm seems to do the most noticable damage. At least that's been my experience. And the 5 ability is awesome for PvP. I've grown away from it myself, but it was my first choice. I now prefer focus or torch. Can't decide between those two.

While PvP is a different beast altogether, and some of the trash is harder than the bosses themselves, in explorables is there really any reason to be running Moa Morph over Time Warp?

I mean, Mass Invis I could see if maybe you were running with 3 or 4 seperate thiefs for whatever reason (especially on its ultra short cooldown), but Moa?

---------- Post added 2012-08-31 at 01:54 AM ----------

While PvP is a different beast altogether, and some of the trash is harder than the bosses themselves, in explorables is there really any reason to be running Moa Morph over Time Warp?

I mean, Mass Invis I could see if maybe you were running with 3 or 4 seperate thiefs for whatever reason (especially on its ultra short cooldown), but Moa?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Mesmer PVP

Im trying to figure out what is the best Weapon/Combo to use right now.

I was enjoying Mace with gun for a while until I found a Staff. Im not really enjoy staff.. not enough illusions..

What gives me a good amount of illusions and keeps me up in pvp?

Also what are the stats I want to go for that focus only on PVP?

---------- Post added 2012-08-31 at 10:23 AM ----------

Also.. where the heck is the Mesmer Trainer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post

---------- Post added 2012-08-31 at 01:54 AM ----------

Unless Mao morph got nerfed, it also works on bosses... In the lovers fight Mia morph was a fucking god send!! I havet seen a Mesmer wanting to do an instance FOREVER now though so I can't even confirm if it's been nerfed or not...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    I personally prefer Sword/Sword SIGNIFICANTLY more then Sword/Pistol, i don't get why you mesmers seem to have wet dreams about the pistol off hand, i personally think it's not nearly as good...

However i do highly agree that if you have Berserker + Duelist/Swordsman out then you'll just be raping face! It's fucking hysterically funny to watch...

PS: 2 illusionary warlocks and an illusionary mage in group fights = absolute ownage with how many conditions seem to be flying around
    Well personally its a matter of having some ranged control. The stun/daze/blind pistol shot is great to catch up to runners in PvP, while the duelist has great single target burst and puts itself in less dangerous positions then the iSwordman.

But yeah, people under-estimate phantasms quite a lot. They pack one hell of a punch...

What gives me a good amount of illusions and keeps me up in pvp?

Also what are the stats I want to go for that focus only on PVP?
    This isnt how Guild Wars 2 works, there isn't a "PvP stat" like other games who made the mistake of splitting their PvE and PvP into two different games. You stats and illusions are gonna depend on your build.

Its about your gameplay preference: do you want to focus more on Shatters? Do you want to keep your illusions up to buff yourself? Do you want to build around your Phantasms? Do you want to have fragile decoys that gives boons/conditions when they are killed? Do you want to rely less on illusions and more on conditions? There are many ways to build your mesmer, all of them viable. My best advice is to play around with different combinations until you find something that feels natural to you, then build around whatever Trait boosts that the most.

Out of curiosity, since I'm fooling around with builds at the current, do Recharge reductions stack or are they unique so you can't go more than 20% reduction. Trying to take Blade Mastery with the minor adept trait in Illusions (Illusionist's Celerity). What about the phantasm reduction trait?

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Unless Mao morph got nerfed, it also works on bosses... In the lovers fight Mia morph was a fucking god send!! I havet seen a Mesmer wanting to do an instance FOREVER now though so I can't even confirm if it's been nerfed or not...
    Most bosses need to be chain stunned to get rid of their Defiant stacks so you can actually cast it (the 90% reduced blind, etc makes them immune to CC), and well I haven't seen that work so well.

---------- Post added 2012-08-31 at 08:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nikijih View Post
    Well personally its a matter of having some ranged control. The stun/daze/blind pistol shot is great to catch up to runners in PvP, while the duelist has great single target burst and puts itself in less dangerous positions then the iSwordman.
    I disagree in PvE that it puts itself in less dangerous positions. Sure, if you cast it at say max range, it will generally stay at max range until something runs over to it, but with your sword in your main hand, are you going to stop DPS to run over and be able to drop another one and run back in?

The Swordsman stabs something in the face, and then it jumps back out of the way. It waits there, jumps in, stabs, jumps back out again. Through that entire motion, it not only pushes itself further away from a target that moves towards it (or closer to one moving away), but it actually dodges throughout the animation. Anything that would've hit it while it attacks does is simply Evaded. Cleaves, PBAoE, the swordsman itself has more survivability than the Pistol does when you're holding out in melee range.

PvP, yes, the Pistol helps when you're getting kited, and running out to keep ranged pressure on someone isn't a bad thing, But people vastly underestimate just how useful iSwordsman is.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Most bosses need to be chain stunned to get rid of their Defiant stacks so you can actually cast it (the 90% reduced blind, etc makes them immune to CC), and well I haven't seen that work so well.

---------- Post added 2012-08-31 at 08:34 AM ----------

I disagree in PvE that it puts itself in less dangerous positions. Sure, if you cast it at say max range, it will generally stay at max range until something runs over to it, but with your sword in your main hand, are you going to stop DPS to run over and be able to drop another one and run back in?

The Swordsman stabs something in the face, and then it jumps back out of the way. It waits there, jumps in, stabs, jumps back out again. Through that entire motion, it not only pushes itself further away from a target that moves towards it (or closer to one moving away), but it actually dodges throughout the animation. Anything that would've hit it while it attacks does is simply Evaded. Cleaves, PBAoE, the swordsman itself has more survivability than the Pistol does when you're holding out in melee range.

PvP, yes, the Pistol helps when you're getting kited, and running out to keep ranged pressure on someone isn't a bad thing, But people vastly underestimate just how useful iSwordsman is.
    not to mention that since the Iswordsman evades the entire time he jumps in and out you can use him to break an opponents block in pvp (and pve) so they waste their fancy retaliation skill on an evading target, he wont be able to hurt himself if an enemy is currently reflecting damage (duelists i'm looking at YOU, ya fucking suicidal phantasms!!), and most importantly, he's effective to throw down in melee range since he'll simply jump out of melee range after he performs his first attack since he essentially is a ranger that uses Pounce ---> hornet sting