Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post People who "YELL" online

For those who don't know:

TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS UNIVERSALLY CONSIDERED YELLING ON THE INTERNET.

Bolding the caps is considered adding more of an UMPH to the declaration. Anyway, what's your take on people who do this? I just ignore them no matter what the content of the words itself. I'd say most, probably 80% of the time they don't know it's viewed as yelling due to a number of factors (Poor grammer, poor english, etc.) so I try not to take offense when I see people doing it.

That and I know not everyone sees it that way. If they're trying to make sense I will usually tell them to turn the caps lock off and start over.

As an aside to this:

What do you think about schools focusing less on spelling and focusing more on grammar? I went to grade school during the 1990s so I was part of the transitional generation going from traditional education to computer-savy education. Lots of folks who are in school now and even more before that time are envious because they're trying to reach the middle ground I was schooled in.

One of the two reasons I ask the followup question is because in the age of the internet, it's presumed kids will use Google or some other search engine to look up what they need to know and most word processors these days have a built-in spell check so...yeah. Kinda negates the need to ephasize spelling after a certain grade level. The other reason is because I am a schoolteacher, thus allowing me to see how the next generation absorbs and processes information compared to when I was in school.

...Thoughts?
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

If they speak exclusivly in caps then its safe to ignore them - if its someone who has a well written and segmented post who wants to draw attention to something he thinks is important in his post then the use of caps will highlight it

Depends on the context, if it's a post on a website or long rant in trade I generally won't bother reading it. However when used to represent a intentional sarcastic or overly dramatic message I don't mind it, similarly when goofing around with friends I don't see it as an issue.

People will only spell as well as they decide they should learn how to spell. There's plenty of people out there who ignore every single red line underneath every single incorrect word just because they can't be bothered hitting backspace or changing the location of their cursor to go ahead and correct it, plus most people very rarely use any word consisting of more than a couple of syllables at any point in time in day to day conversation. Most of this in my opinion is blamed on the fact a LOT of our communication devices have a ridiculously low character limit per message. So this simply breeds a culture where it is not beneficial whatsoever to use complex, albeit beautiful words to express themselves. They much rather prefer "awsum" or "hot" or "shitrox" or whatever the fuck else they can come up with on the spot that's not gonna be more than 8 letters.

There's also plenty of people that are for example in college, and it is obvious that these college students do not get to just misspell and use the most base form of every word they're able to, because if they did such a thing they would fail. I haven't been to college in awhile, so maybe this has changed, but I doubt it.
    What blows me away is these people are capable of writing said thesis, report, essay, using full words, BEAUTIFUL words, page after page of these lovely words, and then they'll log onto Wow three hours later and INSTANTLY they'll go "WTF IS UP WIT U GUYZ EH?!??!?!?!?!?!" It just makes me want to vomit.
    These "bilingual" English speaking fuckheads who can go back and forth from literate to barely competent absolutely boggles my mind.

I use capital letters to emphasize words throughout anything I am trying to communicate, I will not use capital letters to express myself beyond trying to express the fact I am STRESSING WHAT I AM SAYING AT THAT POINT IN TIME. Something like that, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    i use caps where i would normally want to underline something important

like make sure you DO NOT stand in the shadow void

or

make sure you STAND INSIDE the shadow void

(simple examples, but caps works to get the main points across, spamming in caps is meh :P )

Skelington uses caps when he's just being obnoxious. People who use caps to yell are funny.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's just another way of expression, it shouldn't be a problem. If your goal is to ignore everyone who uses caps and have a worldwide ban on keyboards that contain capslock... it's silly to say the least. I think there's bigger problems out there than pointing fingers at people who don't type like you do.
    DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional and purely for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of entity, living, dead or in any other state of existence, is purely coincidental. The author cannot and will not be held accountable for such similarities or any other parallels that are imagined and/or drawn by you, the reader, between the above fictional work and real life events.

People who use full caps are either:
    1: Sexually deprived
    2: Stressed to the point of rage
    3: Really angry people
    U p H___~ Restoration // Enhancement since 07.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well. I use caps when i want to make a point or be obnoxious.

im repulsed by caps lock i never use it.

ignoring someone for "Poor grammer, poor english" is not really nice, for example, its spelled "grammar" and english is spelled whit a big E "English" as its a name of a language.

So following your own statement, we should ignore your post. Fair? not really. (bold used for pointing out this part of my post more then the rest.)

Just don't be so ignorant, if someone have "poor" English or error in there grammars, that don't mean they are unintelligent or "not worth listening to". Take me as an example, i got dyslexia, Swedish is my first language, so I'm bound to make some errors. But I'm still highly educated and considered smart by society.

Never judge someone only on grammar or poor knowledge of English. Judge them by what they are actually saying, implying.

But i do agree whit the people talking WHIT BIG LATTERS. It's quite annoying.
    Last edited by Nivius; 2012-02-26 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added explenation for the use of bold.
    there is no good signatures with so little signature space - Nivius

Deleted
    How about this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    How about this?
    Oh... not comic sans /cower

OT: I only use caps online as an emphasis really, e.g. "GET OUT OF THE FIRE" if they don't get it the first time.

Deleted
    I don't see what the fuss is about, what if my caps lock button is broken and its stuck like this forever.

Letters are just letters, there is no reason to ignore them, if they're spewn out by a dick, you can ignore him.

Sometimes it's funny to talk in all caps, other times you can really roleplay that you're yelling and stuff.

Its also really good to use caps talk and broken english against trolls.

So, in conclusion, there is a time and a place for caps lock.

Well in league of legends for example, I let them die once or twice until they say something and then i'll respond with a snooty remark in all caps like "OH SORRY, YOU'RE TYPING LETTERS WERE SO BIG I COULDN'T SEE YOU" or something like that

Deleted
    Internet/Computer noobs type in all caps because it is easier.

Really depends on the context. I read it no matter what, and if I deem it offensive, I ignore them.

If it's a encouragement and/or lyrics of a song, I promptly /brofist.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could be worse. They could be using a terrible font color.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the context people. Sometimes you want to emphasize something, or you really want to convey that the text is supposed to be "yelled".
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    This message is a secret one, only a true thief knows how to read this - Salute brother