Poll: Do you pirate?

Thread: Pirating

Page 12 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If TV Shows were released in Australia on time, no Australian would have to pirate TV shows.

If Hollywood started trying to make decent movies, no one would pirate them.

Pretty much, If people were gonna spend money on it, they would. I don't know anybody who would rather see a good movie in their own TV rather than at the cinema.
    this game sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Putricide View Post
    i think this is what some people mean by 'overpriced software'

sorry if its already been posted
    found it on funnyjunk a couple days ago, i found it funny
    lol yea actually. if the software was like $200-$400 i might be able to swing it, but $1000? are you fuckin kidding me? especially when there are torrents like RIGHT there for cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Oh yeah, I also have watched TV shows online at "shady" sites, but I'm not sure what that falls under, since they were free to watch on air waves anyway. I just can't pick up the air waves where I live, and their official site sucks or doesn't host them.

Also game music, which is overpriced.

Well over here in the Netherlands a lot of shows aren't released peroid. Or they won't come on TV untill 3 seasons later.

I'm broke, so I pirate. No money loss on their part, because I don't have it to spend. The things I really like I save up for. I also like to tell myself that in the future when I have a nice job I'll make up for it by buying all of my content legally.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    You shouldn't be worse of (other than economically, post-purchase) for following rules and legislations.
    fuck people are so anal about laws laws are meant to be broken.
    by your logic people would only be exposed to things if they payed for it. thus reducing the flow of information. things like wikileaks fight.
    you, are a sheep and expect everyone else to be a sheep just like you, because that's what they want us to be, sheep.
    so close minded.
    the system is BROKEN, they need to fix the system, I applaud Steam for their service, they gave away portal for free, how fucking awesome was that.
    ever made a mix tape? or are you too young to know what those are? the industry told us it was stealing, and killing the industry, but that ugly beast is still alive today, and extorting their musicians even more.
    sheep. bah bah.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetrash View Post
    fuck people are so anal about laws laws are meant to be broken.
    by your logic people would only be exposed to things if they payed for it. thus reducing the flow of information. things like wikileaks fight.
    you, are a sheep and expect everyone else to be a sheep just like you, because that's what they want us to be, sheep.
    so close minded.
    the system is BROKEN, they need to fix the system, I applaud Steam for their service, they gave away portal for free, how fucking awesome was that.
    ever made a mix tape? or are you too young to know what those are? the industry told us it was stealing, and killing the industry, but that ugly beast is still alive today, and extorting their musicians even more.
    sheep. bah bah.
    theres a lot of lawls in this post but theres a particular nugget of information that is important.

people don't understand or forget that the media industry has been trying to kill any and EVERY form of copying since VHS and tapes were in the scene. They tried endlessly and the government nearly each time said it wasn't legal for them to stop people.

People also don't understand that if the media had their way, you'd never be able to share a song or movie at all, that means you couldn't watch movies with friends because you'd each have to seperately buy your own copy. the media companies really have gone to great lengths to get lots of profits, and the idea that piracy is killing them is no exception.
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetrash View Post
    ever made a mix tape? or are you too young to know what those are? the industry told us it was stealing
    I have so many old mix tapes its not even funny anymore

Btw dident they also mark recording a movie or tv show on a VHS was stealing aswell or recording from radio broadcasts i remember there was huge deal back in the day.
    And i guess in the old times people considered copying books was stealing aswell ofc it was abit harder but still people copied them.

imo, the only reason why pirating is illegal, is because.
    a) software companies, movie companies, music companies, etc overprice their stuff (see image)
    b) they cling to an old business model, physical copies of information. why should someone buy...hmm.....the original mobile suit gundam series for XXX amount of money, have to either wait until it arrives in the mail/find a store that sells it, and then keep it as a physical copy? The alternative is that they get it on their computer, they don't need to wait for a physical copy to arrive, and finding stuff like that on the internet is easier than in real life, and they have it safe on a hard disk.

we've already started to see how popular steam is.
    Last edited by Reinhard von Lohengramm; 2012-02-28 at 02:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post
    I have so many old mix tapes its not even funny anymore

Btw dident they also mark recording a movie or tv show on a VHS was stealing aswell or recording from radio broadcasts i remember there was huge deal back in the day.
    And i guess in the old times people considered copying books was stealing aswell ofc it was abit harder but still people copied them.
    they tried that and lost. courts said you couldn't just tell people to NOT copy a tv show that you just saw that you already paid for via cable, and the same thing with movies on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    There would be less of a need to make them. It's that simple. Making profit is the goal for every business, so having unhappy customers that don't like dlc's impedes that goal. Where those two may intersect in an analysis is key. Right now, certain companies need dlc's. If there was more profit, there wouldn't be a need.
    I am pretty sure they would still exist. And who doesn't have dlcs nowadays ? There may be less but I doubt that they would pass on nearly free profit. But well we will probably never know for certain.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2012-02-28 at 02:54 AM.

Instead of attracting flames and drawing infractions for being the devil's advocate and having differing opinions, I'm just going to unsubscribe to the thread, and let everyone share their one acceptable opinion.

(for those who don't get it, I'm jesting about the very last part)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    What do you guys think about people pirating apps,music,movies and TV Shows, other things?

Do you not care? Do you do it?

One of the common responses I've seen is that often people are okay with it for young adults who cant afford what they need, but that once they have a good enough job, they should start buying that kind of thing. Some people are just against it altogether, thinking pirates who steal software are the same as any thief, and should be treated as such. Some people are just totally into it altogether, wanting to contribute to the cracking and pirating communities.

so, where do you guys stand?
    I pirate it to try it and if it is good enough they get my money in support of buying the actual item.

Deleted
    When I'll stop eating food that will probably kill me in 10 years, start buying new clothes more often than once a year and buy an actual bed instead of mattress I'm sleeping on right now I'll start paying for every single player game I play, every song I save of youtube and every movie I get of TPB. But for now I have to deal with being an asshole.

I'm poor so I generally wouldn't buy the item anyway.

Also fuck greedy companies and overpriced items.
    Hi Sephurik

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't pirate unless I have owned the thing or want another copy (like if a CD I bought stopped working). That said, I don't honestly see too much of a problem with it so long as it's not done to pirate video games. Movies and television I don't see too much of a problem with if, say, the show isn't available in your area/country or if you can't get a hold of the movie. For music, I wouldn't object to a person pirating a song to see if they were interested in it, then buying the album or the individual song, but doing so when they have the means to afford it seems to be like theft because you choose to do it knowing that it's wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    There really isn't a true moral justification for pirating. In the end you are using a product that you haven't paid for.

Oh, but it's too expensive! It's called "rental." Or maybe a friend has it, or maybe you can chip in and buy it. If you can afford internet, spending a dollar on Redbox isn't going to break your bank.
    But if you borrow the product from your friend, you're denying the game/movie/television/music developers and producers the money for their product. You would in fact be using a product you haven't paid for.

Does this mean that you are necessarily by your own logic against borrowing media from friends?

15+ Year Old Account
    I pirate Games, Music , Movies, and Apps.

I NEVER buy apps, will seldom buy games, (I pirate all my xbox and PS3 games too) Only game I have bought in the past year was Skyrim and I only got that as a gift, I had it cracked before. MMO's I buy, and if a game is really outstanding I will buy I.E. Mass Effect 3

and lol @ him saying it;s despicable. he does it too. He knows he does.

I only use FTP though. Never torrents, ewwwwww

I pirate movies and music, but I bought all my games. Not because I cant afford them or anything, just that theres absolutely no music/movie retailer where i'm living. Some like Spartacus series currently running on Starz TV I have no way to watch, so pirate is the only way. Game I can live with digital version. Music and movie - not so much.

I will pirate games that i have no idea if i will play if i get addicted or atleast play them more then an hour i'll usually buy them that is if they are available digitally i have completely stopped buying physical copies of games and software.
    Movies i'll almost only pirate i go to the movies for the big franchises that i like LOTR and so on almost don't buy any dvd/ blu-rays anymore.
    Tv shows i stream mostly but here i am a collector and i have loads of series on dvd and blu-ray and will keep buying the good ones.