Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Classic games of yesteryear you wish they'd make a sequel to now.

After my last attempt at a discussion thread went down in a horrible flamewar of people unable to read the OP I thought I'd try something less controversial.

Some franchises have been going for years, some of them older than people who post here. Yet other games and even series of games died out, they've had remakes or ports onto smaller handheld consoles but actual fresh sequels long died out with Minidisc players and Cica trainers.

Also this could have been a game where the idea was great but the reality was a horrible crappy mess (I'm looking at you MK Mythologies) and you'd love to see someone take up the concept and do it justice.

And before we get sidetracked into a discussion about what counts as yesteryear: Stick to any game that came out before 2000.

As for my own two pennyworth on the discussion itself:

I've a couple in my head, both getting crappy sequels in recent years I wish didn't exist. But there's one game that seems to be long forgotten about, and it's still the only Blizzard title yet to get referenced in World of Warcraft.

I'd kill for a modern day Rock'n'Roll racing.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2012-02-25 at 03:13 AM.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Well, the problem with making a sequel to an older game is that it can be almost impossible to live up to fan expectations. That being said, assuming it could maintain the same or greater quality than the original, I'd enjoy seeing a sequel to The Legend of Dragoon.

Terranigma (Illusion of Gaia too, but Terranigma is technically Illusion of Gaia's sequel.)

Other than that, there isn't really any I can think of.

I'd love to play a good Spyro or Crash Bandicoot sequel. Too bad the ones that have been coming out are horribleeeeeee

Well, they are already making Kid Icarus.

Ice Climbers or Battle Toads could be spiffy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually suprised after their stint in the Super Smash series they didn't make a new Ice Climbers game.

Deleted
    Heroes of might and Magic 3

Heroes 5 and 6 were pretty close, and they are awesome. But I just want Heroes 3 with better Graphics. Same Factions Same Creatures Same Maps Same Heroes Same Everything^^

They should remake A boy and His Blob along with Blaster Master.

10+ Year Old Account
    a new part of the legacy of kain series (if defiance counts as yesterday allready)

american mcgees alice (fullfilled)

blood omen (just remake)

mech warrior (on the horizon)

vampire - the masquerade (new part, not a sequel to bloodlines)

conflict freespace (perhaps...)
    Last edited by Sharde; 2012-02-25 at 03:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saturday Night Slam Masters

(Technically there was a sequel, but it was never released on home consoles.)

I must've logged hundreds of hours in this game when I was younger. No other wrestling game on the SNES was anywhere near as cool as this one, and frankly there hasn't been a good arcade-style wrestling game in years. WWE is boring now. This is where the real action is.

Last edited by insmek; 2012-02-25 at 03:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by holz View Post
    Heroes of might and Magic 3

Heroes 5 and 6 were pretty close, and they are awesome. But I just want Heroes 3 with better Graphics. Same Factions Same Creatures Same Maps Same Heroes Same Everything^^
    Did you ever play Kings Bounty? Original pre HOMM or the remakes?

Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    and frankly there hasn't been a good arcade-style wrestling game in years. WWE is boring now. This is where the real action is.
    I was never a fan of the Arcade style, especially the In Your House for the Playstation that had Undertaker shooting magic skulls. The last two wrestling games I enjoyed were No Mercy and Fire Pro Advance, the latter was an amazing game I wish they'd continued on with developing into a real franchise for Handhelds.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2012-02-25 at 03:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every time this thread topic comes up, I say the same name:

Seiken Densetsu 3

Secret of Mana 2, but it never got localized, so you can only play it through emulation magic -.-

But seriously! You choose your main character + 2 companions from a pool of six (a fighter, a sorceress, a thief, a cleric, an amazon and a werewolf). There are three possible end-bosses, depending on your main char, and it has a neat class change system.

GET CODING, SQUARE ENIX!!
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Another game I liked was Snake Rattle 'n Roll. That was a weird game.

While it's probably not old enough, Advent Rising. Stupid cliffhanger endings.

Megaman Battle Network 7
    Terranigma
    Maximum Carnage(a true sequel not the garbage that followed)
    Battletoads Double Dragon
    Legend of Dragoon
    Chrono Trigger Cross
    Clayfighters 63 1/4
    Gauntlet
    Summoner 2
    Shadow Hearts 3

The list goes on and on and on

An Xwing or Tiefighter game that has an actual storyline. XvT was ok multiplayer but even its expansion was rather lite on the story. come to think of it even XvT falls under your timeline.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Obligatory Psychonauts. I don't care if it's 2006 and not before 2000; this game needs to be in every "deserves/needs a sequel" conversation.

On topic though.....Hell I was only 8 in 2000, only game I played before then was SC, the backyard sport games, & the tycoon games so...

10+ Year Old Account
    Trapt.
    Kingdom Hearts *a new console version*
    Jazz Jackrabbit!
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    Jazz Jackrabbit!
    So glad someone mentioned this. One of the games I referred to in my OP as ones that had terrible sequels was Epic's other 90's classic OMF:2097. JJ though was a brilliant fastpaced platform shooter, it felt like a cross between the old Sonic and Metroid platformers in the way it played.

One that popped into my head, when was the last time they made a Destruction Derby game?
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2012-02-25 at 04:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

We also need a new Jezzball.