Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    I can't back up any of these as they are way too expensive. Sure, you have to pay extra for the wireless feature, but compared to headphones you can pick up for $300? Not even close.

And I'll say this again: 5.1 and 7.1 in headphones/headsets is a gimmick. Why? We have two ears, not seven, and as such two speakers is enough to perfectly emit a surround experience. Don't believe me? Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQmQD27uCt0

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    SNIPE
    I have had very noticeable differences with the ASTRO though, especially in FPS's not only can i hear things more clearly, but even playing a game like CoD that has a perk that decreases footstep sound to 25% i can still hear them, and the mic is extremely clear on vent according to other people.

Also it's not just about surround sound, like the Recond3D omega has a built in quad core sound processor. it has more than that too.

I don't know how legit that video is though about the sound, because playing games that support higher quality sound it's way easier to tell the direction its coming from with higher quality headphones.

---------- Post added 2012-03-02 at 07:32 PM ----------

To add, bass the bass in higher quality headphones is amazing.
    Last edited by MKing; 2012-03-02 at 07:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    I have had very noticeable differences with the ASTRO though, especially in FPS's not only can i hear things more clearly, but even playing a game like CoD that has a perk that decreases footstep sound to 25% i can still hear them, and the mic is extremely clear on vent according to other people.

Also it's not just about surround sound, like the Recond3D omega has a built in quad core sound processor. it has more than that too.

I don't know how legit that video is though about the sound, because playing games that support higher quality sound it's way easier to tell the direction its coming from with higher quality headphones.

---------- Post added 2012-03-02 at 07:32 PM ----------

To add, bass the bass in higher quality headphones is amazing.
    None of those are higher quality headphones. The quad core processor means fuckall. It's a gimmick and you have obviously fallen for it. The difference is noticeable because you owned shit headphones in the past, and now you have a mediocre and expensive pair. My ATH-M50's, which cost 50% of what the A40's cost, are guaranteed to blow those headphones out of the water. The AD700's by Audio Technica, will also destroy those, while costing 33.33% less (Continuing of course.)

Gaming headsets are awful, and if you've bought one, please do your research next time.

Let me outline what I said better. If you buy a headset from these companies, you should REALLY do some research on proper audio quality:

-Razer
    -SteelSeries
    -Logitech
    -TTEsports
    -And ANYTHING else marketed toward GAMERS or ESPORTS or the COMPETITIVE SCENE.

This is called selling a brand name. You're not paying for the audio quality, you're paying for the cool colors, pretty lights, and logo put on the side of the monitors.

This isn't mindless brand bashing, I have premise to back all of this up. From shoddy build quality, faulty and flawed products, to poor sound quality and poor comfort levels, all of these share a lot of very poor traits in common that should be avoided like the plague.

THERE IS LITERALLY NO REASON TO BUY "GAMING HEADPHONES".
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2012-03-02 at 09:16 PM.

I have the red Siberia v2 headset. Looks great and works perfectly fine, but it gets very uncomfortable after a very short amount of time. It doesn't hurt my ears, but it makes the area around my eats irritated/itchy. Also makes my ears rather hot.
    I am really considering getting the ad700s and the zalman mic instead of continuing to use the Siberia v2.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Anyway, I'm not sure of headsets in that range, but stay away from Logitech, Razer, SteelSeries, or anything else labeled as "gamer" gear. They're overpriced for mediocre sound equipment, and all come with inherent flaws. Build quality is sub par, and you'll miss a LOT of audio fidelity you would get with just a pair of headphones and a clip on mic.
    This is completely true. "Gaming Headsets" are just cheap headphones and a cheap microphone attached together. There are hundreds of better options if you buy the headphones and microphone separate. Another option for a microphone is a full sized recording microphone if you are playing in a quiet environment, A good real microphone will make your voice sound like your in the same room as someone. However this option is much more expensive as compared to the clip on mic. Also with real headphones you can go out of the sound range quit easily of any gaming headset. A 200 dollar set of real headphones (Senn's, AKG, exct.... NOT BEATS) will give you audio quality leagues above anything you can buy from a gaming company. Heck even a 100 dollar pair will do that.
    Last edited by masterpiece; 2012-03-02 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    THERE IS LITERALLY NO REASON TO BUY "GAMING HEADPHONES".
    I'd go as far as saying there's no such thing as "Gaming Headphones" since they're basically generic headphones marketed towards Gamers and as such you are likely paying a bit more because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Djlolox View Post
    Razer megalodon<3
    This...been using these for 9 months...absolutely incredible headset

I picked up some Astro A40's for console gaming 2 years ago. I'm sure there are better for cheaper though, but they have gotten to job done for me as far as PC gaming goes. After 2 years they are in decent shape.

You could also try Razer.

Quote Originally Posted by Djlolox View Post
    Razer megalodon<3
    NO NO NO They are not the sound quality is HORRIBLE especially with the tin can sounding 7.1. It has no highs or lows and the Mids are muddy. The zalman clip on mic sounds 100 times better than the grainy one in the Megladon. On top of all that your stuck with one of the worst companies in history with shitty customer service.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're in luck OP, because I've owned both those headsets.

That Logitech is complete trash, probably the worst peripheral purchase I've ever made. It's uncomfortable, it broke in under a month (I take care of my headsets too...), and both the mic and sound is poor.

The Steelseries is a good headset, of the half dozen I've tried in that price range, it's the best. It's mic does not have the same quality of a Sennheiser (not saying the mic sucks, but it is not remarkable), but it is extremely comfortable and the sound is quite good (again, for the price). The retractable mic is handy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpiece View Post
    NO NO NO They are not the sound quality is HORRIBLE especially with the tin can sounding 7.1. It has no highs or lows and the Mids are muddy. The zalman clip on mic sounds 100 times better than the grainy one in the Megladon. On top of all that your stuck with one of the worst companies in history with shitty customer service.
    You're opinion....not fact....I have been EXTREMELY satisfied with this product (along with other Razer products (Death Adder ftw))

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelyorc View Post
    You're opinion....not fact....I have been EXTREMELY satisfied with this product (along with other Razer products (Death Adder ftw))
    My opinion is fact.
    I can tell you that the bass on the Megladons is lacking in comparison to my ATH-M50's. I can tell you that the ear pieces are horrifically uncomfortable in comparison to my ATH-M50s. I can also tell you that they break quite easy, like most Razer gear. (Coming from a guy who has owned nearly ten pieces of Razer equipment.) I've learned from my experience. Don't be ignorant. You're extremely satisfied with your product because you've never owned or tried something better.

Deleted
    'Gaming' headsets are a load of bollocks, a cheap marketiting con. Just look towards the lower end of the headphone market and pair it with a £5 stand mic, the quality will be tenfold over what any 'gaming' headset would be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelyorc View Post
    Fuzzykins is actually quite knowledgeable. Also, just because you are satisfied with Razer products doesn't mean everyone else is. I couldn't stand my Death Adder, it was gone in a month.

Deleted
    I've had a Deathadder for years and I've owned other Razer products and I agree the build quality overall leaves something to be desired. However the Deathadder is (imo) one of the better mice I've owned or used.

I disagree a little with Fuzzy saying there is no reason to buy a gaming headset, headsets like Sennheiser PC 360/350 are pretty good and honestly there are situations where is really nice to have a mic on the headphones instead of a clip-on or standalone desk mic, usually those pick up a lot of extra sound or people hear typing louder than your voice etc. As for pure sound quality and listening I agree headphones are the way to go.

It's almost like there would be a market for someone to create mounting plastics for proper headphones so we can stick a decent mic on the side....

I'm with the "buy a proper set of headphones" folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I've had a Deathadder for years and I've owned other Razer products and I agree the build quality overall leaves something to be desired. However the Deathadder is (imo) one of the better mice I've owned or used.

I disagree a little with Fuzzy saying there is no reason to buy a gaming headset, headsets like Sennheiser PC 360/350 are pretty good and honestly there are situations where is really nice to have a mic on the headphones instead of a clip-on or standalone desk mic, usually those pick up a lot of extra sound or people hear typing louder than your voice etc. As for pure sound quality and listening I agree headphones are the way to go.
    No they really don't. My buddy used to hear everything from my TV with my Cacharias. My Zalman is higher quality and actually picks up less ambient.

Deleted
    Why are you comparing a crappy $80 Razer mic with Sennheiser PC 360/350?
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-03-03 at 04:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Why are you comparing a crappy $80 Razer mic with Sennheiser PC 360/350?
    Because even in the case of the PC360, you're paying more for the fact that it's a headset rather than a pair of headphones and clip on mic. The Zalman is just fine, so you spend more money directly on audio.