Spec/Class choice; pve

Hello everyone
    I've always do PvP on my characters, and now I really want to start Pve, but I need to decide which class/spec I should play.
    I'd like to know what would be the best spec/class for someone without any Pve experience between : Shaman, Warlock, Rogue or DK.

I want your advices to make a good choice before starting
    If you need to know anything just ask.

Deleted
    Judging by your class choices I'm assuming you're looking for a DPS spot. If you have no PvE experience then that alone is reason enough to start as a DPSer, maybe a healer but certainly don't go straight for tank, DPS have the least responsibility so play that role until you get more experience. I would suggest a ranged DPS as they generally have less movement to worry about and a wider view of their surroundings so it'll give you a better starting point to get used to PvE encounters and situations. Both Ele Shaman and Warlock will do well for you, I would say go with one of those 2 and pick whichever you like playing better.

With that said for this raiding tier Rogues are the best melee DPS and DKs are the best tanks so if you're interested in that those are valid choices too. But just as an overall PvE choice I would recommend a ranged DPS to start off with.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2012-03-03 at 04:54 AM.

I love warlocks, but I would recommend a mage over a warlock since warlocks have complicated rotations which might leave someone standing in fire.

Okay and for warlocks, is there any spec better than the other un pve? I'm used to play affliction pvp, but I dont know if demo or destro should be better pve wise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by felix4 View Post
    Okay and for warlocks, is there any spec better than the other un pve? I'm used to play affliction pvp, but I dont know if demo or destro should be better pve wise.
    They are all usable and better or worse depending on the encounter. Pick whichever one you enjoy the most but aim to learn all 3, the "best" spec usually changes every few months anyway.

Deleted
    Warlock is indeed very good choice for PvE DPS but it's also hard to master (demo/destro mostly). Assassinate/Combat rogue otherwise is easy to play but it's what you prefer. My main is destro/demo lock and I love it but it requires quite much work to be competitive in PvE so if you like to study your class well, I'd say to go for a warlock!

Just level a mage. Crazy dps without much effort, always needed in raids.
    Rogue will be your best choice if you want melee.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    You will have the easiest time finding raid groups with a tank or healer, though probably the most fun with a DPS.

I still have some questions.
    1st. Can elemental shamans do great dps right now ?
    2nd. Are combat rogues hard? Do you need the legendary daggers to have a good dps ?
    3rd. Can demo locks still easily be learned or its That hard ?

Thank you for your answers btw

10+ Year Old Account
    combat rogues are always nice so is elemental shamans tho i rather have enhancement
    and i dont know anything bout warlock

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by felix4 View Post
    I still have some questions.
    1st. Can elemental shamans do great dps right now ?
    2nd. Are combat rogues hard? Do you need the legendary daggers to have a good dps ?
    3rd. Can demo locks still easily be learned or its That hard ?
    All that depends on your definitions of "hard". No DPS class is really hard to learn and play at a LFR or normal level. All of them can be hard to play well at a heroic level of raiding, the challenge in PvE is rarely from your character rotation or abilities but rather from the fight mechanics and execution.

As for their relative DPS, Combat should have the stage 1 daggers at the very least but they are easily obtainable. Rogues are either alright or OP depending on the fight and Warlocks/Ele are generally alright but not too good or too bad on any of the fights.

Alright thank you everyone !
    Just to make a quick update, I'm now choosing between demolock or combat rogue. I tried the spec for a bit and they are the 2 I enjoy the most their playstyle.

-Just a bit curious, I tried many times my dps on a dummy with those 2 specs; Is it normal that at the same gear level (ruthless + some cata piece on both of these char), im doing 18k dps with my demo and only 10k with my combat ? Is it because rogue scale better with gear and weapons ?
    (FYI : I reforged for my hit cap/ expertise, checked and read a lot of the spec's basics, dont know if im doing something wrong or its normal)
    Last edited by felix4; 2012-03-04 at 04:42 AM.

just play whatever you enjoy most, like me i currently raid as a unholy/frost DK and i love it. although this xpac i have raided as frost then i went to warrior then to dk again and melee to me is very easy but some of the other points proven by other posters seems to be right on, also if you were to chose between the shaman or warlock however, i would go demo lock, they are a joy to play

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those numbers sound a bit low to me, but I haven't tried to dps in pure pvp gear this expansion, so I'm not sure how much difference the lacking secondary stats will do. Are you sure you're not making basic mistakes such as not casting (like stopping for half a second here and there to wait for your big hitting spells to go off cd instead of using another spell while waiting), letting buffs/debuffs fall off, standing in front of the dummy in the rogue's case, etc? I mean, guides usually don't state these things as the author assumes the reader will already know, but I've noticed several new (at pve) players failing at stuff like this because it's never actually stated anywhere, and people just tell them to read the same guides that will only have the rotations and statprios they already know...

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love threads like this where someone doesnt want to put time in to look up stuff themselves so they just post on forums >.>

OT: I always found ranged to be boring so I would recommend a melee class and as I am biased I would tell you to play enhance welcome to pve btw

ele shaman is the best.. the rotation is very simple.. forgiving and u can totally own the shit outta mobs with just chain lightning spam.

err just saw u chose melee.. ok combat rogue is gonna be the easier rotation.. but u need 26 expertise.. if u dont get that.. ur dmg will suck hard.

rogues with the stage1 legendary weps can carry u easily past normal DW... u just need the LFR nokaled axe for combat for ur offhand

and yes combat looks terrible on dummys and with pvp weps.. u need pve gear as every little stat point counts with combat. 26 expertise->haste-> mastery?
    Last edited by announced; 2012-03-04 at 08:53 AM.

Which one do you like best? Play that one.

Deleted
    I think that if you are trying pve you should use an hybrid class because having an off spec with different role helps a lot, and also you don't know maybe what's is the perfect role for you. I'm suggesting shaman.

if your gonna pick a lock play afflliciton. its the easiest of the 3 specs to play. also locks out dps ele shamans by alot. for melee go comabt rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    Which one do you like best? Play that one.
    Yeah, but I love them all.
    Just not sure about what would be easier to learn and play

---------- Post added 2012-03-04 at 04:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    and yes combat looks terrible on dummys and with pvp weps.. u need pve gear as every little stat point counts with combat. 26 expertise->haste-> mastery?
    Yeah I reforged everything to get my hit cap and expertise cap and I was doing that dps :/ . maybe the lack of haste ? or lack of pve weaps?