Poll: Do you think if everyone owned a gun, the world would be safer?

Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    My Brother works as a Prison guard in a major state penetentary in the USA.

One day, he told me the belief he held that if everybody had a gun the world would be safer as everybody would know the other was armed and the stakes were high.

I then suggested he was in a prime position to prove that theory. All he had to do was to convince his Prison Warden to give every one of his prisoners a loaded gun. By his logic, prison violence will never happen again. Perhaps even offer upgrades to AK-47s and Spas-12 auto shotguns for good behavior. ^_^

Or, continuing that logic, we should give nuclear weapons to EVERY country in the world! Again, using that same logic - it is BOUND to make the world a safer place! :P

One time a guy walked into our local college, whipped out a shotgun and began unloading on the students until turning it ultimately on himself. Somebody suggested if we had passed a law to allow concealed firearms, we would've stopped him. I responded "No - as he would be aware of that fact and he would simply change his plan. Instead of walking in with a shotgun, he would've walked in with explosives strapped to himself. His goal wasn't to shoot people... his goal was to KILL people."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Juminus View Post
    There ! I may have exaggerated what you said but still...
    Dear god yes you did.
    Get there hands on them to learn how to shoot and understand them.

No way would I promote or encourage underage firearm carry.

---------- Post added 2012-03-04 at 05:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    One time a guy walked into our local college, whipped out a shotgun and began unloading on the students until turning it ultimately on himself. Somebody suggested if we had passed a law to allow concealed firearms, we would've stopped him. I responded "No - as he would be aware of that fact and he would simply change his plan. Instead of walking in with a shotgun, he would've walked in with explosives strapped to himself. His goal wasn't to shoot people... his goal was to KILL people."
    Thank you, you've just proven my point that if anyone wanted to kill someone they DON'T need a gun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    My Brother works as a Prison guard in a major state penetentary in the USA.

One day, he told me the belief he held that if everybody had a gun the world would be safer as everybody would know the other was armed and the stakes were high.

I then suggested he was in a prime position to prove that theory. All he had to do was to convince his Prison Warden to give every one of his prisoners a loaded gun. By his logic, prison violence will never happen again. Perhaps even offer upgrades to AK-47s and Spas-12 auto shotguns for good behavior. ^_^

Or, continuing that logic, we should give nuclear weapons to EVERY country in the world! Again, using that same logic - it is BOUND to make the world a safer place! :P

This is a logical fallacy. Obviously, citizens with felonies wouldn't legally have access to any firearm, and thus none of them would have guns in your theory.

Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    It was a League Game Smokey!
    ...I'm perfectly calm, Dude....

Waving the "F%#*ing gun around, Man?

...calmer than you are. >.>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FearXI View Post
    Dear god yes you did.
    Get there hands on them to learn how to shoot and understand them.

No way would I promote or encourage underage firearm carry.
    I know you wouldn't, but in the end some kids know how to use them...

if you really think your life is threaten then ok, kill the man, but that doesn't mean you are better than the one who tried to kill you in the first place... Maybe he's mentally ill, then he's not entirely at fault, maybe he found no other solutions than entering your home to find some money... or anything else.
    You give up your own life when you threaten someone else's. Makes sense to me, I dont care if some asshole needs money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    Would the World have less chance of being blown up if everyone carried nuclear warheads on the roofs of their cars?

Thats how dumb this poll is
    As previously addressed, this statement is a logical fallacy.

This is a logical fallacy. Obviously, citizens with felonies wouldn't legally have access to any firearm, and thus none of them would have guns in your theory.
    Two things:

1) What about the bottom scenario with the local college? The guy wasn't a convicted felon prior...

2) ...if only convicted felons can't legally have access to firearms, how did they become felons in the first place? Rob a candy store with a butterknife? :P

Barely anyone in Poland has personal gun and I'm not afraid to go out in the middle of the night. If everyone had guns I would be afraid some moron would think I'm trying to rob him and shoot me.

My Grandfather was a "gameskeeper" (person who takes care of the forest and it's animals dunno the correct english word) so I grew up around guns. Yet in my opinion the only people who should own guns are those who have a hunting permit.
    A handgun has little use, if you feel unsafe something needs to change mentally. Robbers and bullies use the same profiling systems, if you learn not to show that profile you actually are safe.

There's a reason why they tell people in banks to obey robbers instead of just giving all employees weapons

Deleted
    safety as the OP, by definition, wants to be worldwide can only be achieved by starting with peace at home, peace with neighbors, peace with society, etc... till peace in the world. And no gun can achieve this mental way of undertaking action.

Guns are for killing and killing only.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_firearm

Have fun reaching safety by giving everyone a weapon. There will always be people with a high-developed psychopathy.

Side note: The world would also be safer if the US has trials running in the international court. The EU knows that the US is abusing the international justice by not participating. Don't you think it would be safer if the US Government took more responsibility by joining and helped forcing other countries to join this international democratic justice system?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Borador View Post
    You give up your own life when you threaten someone else's. Makes sense to me, I dont care if some asshole needs money.
    For me, what you just say is just plain animosity without thought, focusing only on yourself.
    Do not complain if your neighborhood is not safe as you do nothing to make it safe...

I like how all these posts come from americans. No offense but I feel perfectly safe living in a country where every braindead hillibillies don't own a gun and can't get one just by waving their hand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FearXI View Post
    Are you kidding me? You think a law abiding person would be more likely to shoot you then a criminal?
    No I mean criminals with guns are gonna be criminals with guns, but adding the regular man as a threat on top of this will create more trouble than it removes.

Quote Originally Posted by Udderpowered View Post
    Because telling young children not to play with fire makes it safe to have them near matches.
    No, that's like you saying telling kids not to play with guns makes it safe to play with guns, he said teaching about firearms.

And I would rather have my child playing with fire when he knows the difference between how to put out a grease fire and how to put out a chemical fire. What fire does to skin tissue, how hot and long different woods take to catch. What types of varnish are fire hazards, when not to use water to put out a fire. Learning hoe fast Clothing and fabrics can ignite... when it comes down to the actual situation, yea I would feel more comfortable with my child using fire when he knows everything about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    A person with the same gun would. It's not the guns who are taking lifes, it's the people.
    I wouldn't feel safe walking in the streets knowing that people around me are carrying guns.

I don't usually bash countries, but when I do it's only america. Thank god.
    Guy... I have never heard of a robbery with an assault rifle... and I've lived in America my entire life... out of Chicago... I have seen 3 guns in different peoples homes over the years and never seen one outside the home.

lol, more than likely with your Expert lockpickery skillz you would be robbing someone else anyway. And that's a few ifs to gamble your life away on opposed to going one house over hmmm in the real world what would happen... I wonder...

---------- Post added 2012-03-04 at 10:58 PM ----------

The better way to be sure to never have one pointed in your direction is to make it illegal.
    ...the guns...that are pointed at you... ARE ILLEGAL.

Do you think it's a good idea to own a gun and that it makes our society safer?

Why or why not?

I personally think it would make the world a lot safer. Statistically, areas with the most guns consequentially have the lowest crime rate.

It would certainly make people think twice about breaking into someone's property.

Notice the safest cities in America allow guns.

http://www.areavibes.com/library/10-...-lowest-crime/

Some of you are taking "Everyone" too literally.

Obviously people with felonies or the insane wouldn't be able to have the guns.

I'm talking "EVERYONE" as is in the same laws that pro gun states have.
    American gun nuts... yeah the world would be a lot safer if everyone in the population had an instrument of death vs no-one having them. While there are a myriad of weapons and objects that can be used as weapons, none are more effecient and easy to use than a gun. We are all susceptible to moments of madness, be it via deep depression or temporary rage, and giving access to guns can turn what would normally be a low key event into something irreversable.

There is a reason why the USA leads the western world in gunshot related deaths.

And for the record, if someone is willing to break into someone's house, they are hardly of the right frame of mind to think better of doing it because there might be a gun on the premises. Instead they are more likely to think about obtaining more guns and to assault the people of the house in order for them not to reach their guns. It's a classic case of escalation. Person A will attack person B, so person B gets a knife. Person A realise this and therefore gets a gun, person B knows person A has a gun now so they get a semi automatic gun... etc etc etc.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's a reason that the US has pretty much the most gun crime in all the developed world. That's all I have to say on the matter.

It would be safer if nobody had guns except those in the Armed forces. It was much safer in my country 20 years ago when no one had guns. The police didn't even walk around with guns. Everything was much safer, yes they still had some minuscule crimes but not compared to 1 - 2 murders every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traknel View Post
    Yes it is. In fact, the next expansion is going to be called "Mists of Metzen" and is just going to be various mobs with his face stuck on them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shriekbat View Post
    No I mean criminals with guns are gonna be criminals with guns, but adding the regular man as a threat on top of this will create more trouble than it removes.
    I support that, to solve such a problem, you need to consider things on a more global scale than just you, your gun and the man who eventually want to kill you... If there is less gun, there is less chance that a man attack you with a gun, period.

It doesn`t matter if everyone owns a gun, if you`re walking down the street and someone holds a gun to your head, if you move to pull yours out, you`re dead.

Or if someone is stupid enough to be loud enough and breaks into your house, you might have a better chance but still, it`s not going to make you safer, just "feel" safer.

Giving everyone something so dangerous doesn`t solve anything, there`s enough anger and hate in the world and you think it`s best to give in and promote something like having a gun for everyone, well, I just think you`d be ignorant because that`s not the solution, look at the amount of crime and violence in the US now, AND YOU THINK THAT`S A GOOD IDEA?