Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    You mean trained analysts who get paid to study the market and trends vs. some random person on a forum?
    You really dont understand how that works do you? It's cool to defend others and all but more studying on your part may be in order, analysts have zero to do with those predictions. Point being that with short amount of time data has been available both predictions lack history to be validated even remotely

That is good news for the game! Can't wait to start playing after my birthday (this Sunday). But I've gotta ask:

I thought the 1.7m with many on paid subscriptions was already claimed a month ago during their earnings call? Has something changed or is it a rehashing of the same news? Also, what is a "full-on paid subscription"? Is there a half-assed or lazily-done paid subscription?

Why not say they have over xyz paid subscribers instead of "up to 1.7m"? It sounds like they are selling themselves short or phrasing it like a Army recruitment video "Up to $25,000 for college" (only to get $5000 for school because it said "up to" after all).

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    When? When was the investor call? It is the same numbers and same terminology they used in their Q3 call. I think this guy has his dates wrong.

Again, Is asia-pacific the oceanic release that they already did? If so it is a clear indicator that this article is using old data.
    Yes, because you get to be the CEO of one of the the largest gaming companies in the world by being able to even remember simple dates.

---------- Post added 2012-03-08 at 09:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vantheus View Post
    You really dont understand how that works do you? It's cool to defend others and all but more studying on your part may be in order, analysts have zero to do with those predictions. Point being that with short amount of time data has been available both predictions lack history to be validated even remotely
    You really dont understand how that works do you? It's cool to try to be a troll and all, and just instill doubt in people, but more studying on your part of how major corporations work may be in order.

Yes, because you get to be the CEO of one of the the largest gaming companies in the world by being able to even remember simple dates.
    The hell are you talking about? I'm saying the journalist who wrote the article is using the numbers and predictions from the Q3 call (in early Feb) and saying they are numbers for the end of Feb. I'm saying I wish this article listed when the call was. I said nothing about EA giving false numbers or anything like that.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    Reading is good for the soul.
    If your mouth is open your ears are shut.
    If you don't read how can you succeed? (I made this one up)
    i dont open my mouth to type, perhaps you're a mouth breather so not sure where that came from, also the quote you "made up" is quite old and part of the "read to succeed" program....perhaps you should heed your own advice? Since you appear to be a huge fan of quotes i offer you one of my favorite as it applies here....
    It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
    Mark Twain

10+ Year Old Account
    When? When was the investor call? It is the same numbers and same terminology they used in their Q3 call. I think this guy has his dates wrong.

Again, Is asia-pacific the oceanic release that they already did? If so it is a clear indicator that this article is using old data.
    You sir, are cranky.

The hell are you talking about? I'm saying the journalist who wrote the article is using the numbers and predictions from the Q3 call (in early Feb) and saying they are numbers for the end of Feb. I'm saying I wish this article listed when the call was. I said nothing about EA giving false numbers or anything like that.
    Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello has told investors that BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) is up to nearly 1.7 million monthly subscribers as of the end of February.

Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello has told investors that BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) is up to nearly 1.7 million monthly subscribers as of the end of February.
    Are you being intentionally obtuse? How did he communicate this to the investors? There was no call that I'm aware of. The linked article has no information in it.

I think that the Journalist who made the story... well I already wrote this. You disregarded it and linked the story.

Why aren't any other websites carrying this info? If there was another announcement of sub numbers where is it? When was it?

Every time there is good news for SWTOR, there is always a Blizzard Defense Brigade member there to say its fake.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkKentofAzeroth View Post
    I remember when people said on launch this game would have 5 million subscribers and I told everyone it would only be 1-2 million tops

sadly quitting mmo's for good, been searching for a game like Vanilla WoW only to be dissapoint

time to play ME3/Diablo 3/Halo 4 until I see a true mmo worthy of my return lol and I highly doubt that mmo will ever be around in my lifetime

ppl say they're burnt out on a certain mmo, no you arn't your burnt out on mmos period :P won't matter if you goto the next mmo it will last a month than you'll quit
    Same im tired of mmos in general d3 ftw but i have to say Mop is sounds alot like vanilla but with a china feel to it i wouldnt say your dream of old wow is lost should give it a try imho.

Quote Originally Posted by mikencarly View Post
    Same im tired of mmos in general d3 ftw but i have to say Mop is sounds alot like vanilla but with a china feel to it i wouldnt say your dream of old wow is lost should give it a try imho.
    OT but are you kidding? MOP sounds nothing like Vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by some bioware guy View Post
    We estimate 2MM paying subs by the end of June 2012 (and then sustained for the remainder of the year).
    "sustained" through the releases of tera, guild wars 2, diablo 3 and probably even mists of pandaria?
    yeeeaaah... rite :I

(actually tera at least is going to be released before that, i guess, but if any of the others are, they will not even make it to the 2m in the first place)
    Last edited by Sy; 2012-03-09 at 06:15 AM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Every time there is good news for SWTOR, there is always a Blizzard Defense Brigade member there to say its fake.
    Eh, it rolls both ways. For every good news from Blizzard there's an "MMO Hipster" out there to assert that WoW died at 3.0
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    "sustained" through the releases of tera, guild wars 2, diablo 3 and probably even mists of pandaria?

(actually tera at least is going to be released before that, i guess, but if any of the others are, they will not even make it to the 2m in the first place)
    I'll be playing D3 and GW2, but neither of those are going to cause me to cancel my SW:TOR sub, unless GW2 is MUCH better than I expect. Also remember they have not released in Asia yet, but I'm not sure how much the Asian market embraces Star Wars. I could see it happening.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I think it's possible. Keep in mind sustained is the total, not the actual players. So they're saying for every 200,000 that leave for X, about another 200,000 will pick up ToR for the first time.

And seeing 1.2, I'd say that's going to be true at least through summer.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I'd like a link in the OP's article regarding when he told these people that? It really is the exact same thing they said on the shareholder call in early Feb.

Is Asia-Pacific the same as 'Oceanic' aka-Aussie? Because if so it is already launched there and this article (which was posted Mar 8) is using old data.
    If you don't read how can you succeed? (I made this one up)

---------- Post added 2012-03-09 at 06:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vantheus View Post
    i dont open my mouth to type, perhaps you're a mouth breather so not sure where that came from, also the quote you "made up" is quite old and part of the "read to succeed" program....perhaps you should heed your own advice? Since you appear to be a huge fan of quotes i offer you one of my favorite as it applies here....
    It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
    Mark Twain
    you sir are cranky.

This. I don't see SWTOR ever eclipsing 2 million users. That is a lot of stiff competition that you mentioned, GW2, D3, Mists. SWTOR will experience a brief spike with the release of 1.2 followed by a huge downfall after 1.2 once the majority of the users realize Bioware will never mold SWTOR into an enjoyable game. No cutting edge PvE, horribly designed PvP, yeah it's not going to last.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkKentofAzeroth View Post
    ppl say they're burnt out on a certain mmo, no you arn't your burnt out on mmos period :P won't matter if you goto the next mmo it will last a month than you'll quit
    I'm glad you are able to tell me how i feel. I am in fact burnt out on WoW. Ive played since beta, and the game just isn't fun for me anymore. But I am having fun with Guild Wars, Everquest 2, and DC Universe. For me they are a nice change of pace from WoW in various ways. Guild Wars being the main MMO im playing at the moment. I really think you shouldn't make such a mindless blanket statement for everyone based on how you feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    If you don't read how can you succeed? (I made this one up)[COLOR="red"]
    So if you don't read my posts, and then tell me to read, does that make you a hypocrite?

Why is this the only article about these alleged end of feb numbers? No other site is carrying anything on this. At all. The article does not say how the investors were informed of these numbers, or when.

The author of the article is using the Q3 data and not knowing to what it refers. Prove me wrong instead of spouting quotes at me for things you should be doing.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1217723p1.html
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02...ats-financial/
    Dated February 1st. 1.7 million subscribers.

This is OLD NEWS.

Whatever that damn site is, is way the hell behind. This was revealed right at the start of February. I remember discussing it on 4chan at the time.