Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Half the middle-east has been batshit crazy for hundreds of years. Of course, so has the US, Europe, Africa... its funny that any region that has human population can be considered absolutely batshit crazy. Imagine that.
    I've met people that are absolutely batshit crazy. I'm sure there are very reasonable and sane people in the Middle-East.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    Anyone else a little bit frightened by what this means for our national sovereignty?

The UN wants to get involved now.

why does the UN care... at this rate... civil war if the UN is helping i guess

Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    And thank you for getting angry when I provided you the definition of a word you disputed and asked you how you define it. Did I rage at you? Did I call you ignorant? I think you need a nap and a sippy cup.

You're cute when you're angry. And you still haven't answered my question. Define the race that makes up half of Zimmerman's heritage. You don't like the word Hispanic, then there must be something else that is more accurate, right? What is it?

I didn't refer to a member of a native tribe or culture of Central and South America as Hispanic. I referred to one of George Zimmerman's parents as Hispanic.

Trying to play the (in this case) false "Haha! I got you Mad, bro!" card to distract from the fact that you're you were still wrong, is a desperate tactic. Zimmerman is White Hispanic, just like I proved earlier. His dad is white, and his mom is Peruvian. A country where over half the population has white and white mixed Hispanics. Even though it's cute, being intentionally obtuse gets old after a while. Try another tactic.
    Last edited by Booshman; 2012-04-09 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    Trying to play the false "Haha! I got you Mad, bro!" card to distract from the fact that you're you were still wrong, is a desperate tactic. Zimmerman is White Hispanic, just like I proved earlier. But do continue to be intentionally obtuse. It's cute.
    Didn't you just agree with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Didn't you just agree with him?

KingHorse: "Zimmerman isn't white, he's Hispanic!"

Me: "Um...Hispanic isn't a separate race from white, as is implied by the know-nothings who are against this suddenly new classification."

KingHorse: "Herp Derp! Wrong!"

Me: *Provides Proof*

KingHorse: *ignores facts* *begins deflection* "I gotchu mad, bro!"

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Which of these 2 situations is more likely? You'd have to live in a really shitty neighborhood if it's a 50-50 chance of being either, for example.

Also, if someone breaks into your house and poses a threat, that's a completely different situations. In that case, clearly the person who broke in is an aggressor. This isn't really comparable to someone walking out in public who is not posing a threat to anyone. Also - being a rational and reasonable human being - if the situation changes, you can also change your tactics: No one is suggesting that you run and hide without your gun and await your own death. I don't think your extreme examples really help with examining these kinds of situations.
    Clearly?

Example: Someone is being chased by someone else, or something else. They break into your house to hide or find help. Now they are an aggressor? Now they are okay to attack "back"?

It is very situational. Nothing is as clear cut as you and the person you quoted is trying to make it out to be.

KingHorse: "Zimmerman isn't white, he's Hispanic!"

Me: "Um...Hispanic isn't a separate race from white, as is implied by the know-nothings who are against this suddenly new classification."

KingHorse: "Herp Derp! Wrong!"

Me: *Provides Proof*

KingHorse: *ignores facts* *begins deflection* "I gotchu mad, bro!"
    I see this:

You: "Hispanic isn't a race."

KingHorse: "What would call his non-white half then?"

You: "He's White Hispanic."

10+ Year Old Account
    I see this:

I did too.

To expand on this post though, we're talking about a guy who does not post anything in opposition to anyone else without a direct or indirect insult to that person. So him claiming I'm stupid or, really, that I'm wrong in any way carries very little weight.
    Last edited by KingHorse; 2012-04-09 at 03:55 AM.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige View Post
    Now you're talking about plausible scenarios, not best/worst case as you said before. A plausible scenario to me confronting someone outside would be they intended on setting my house on fire and I stop them just in time... We can always play "what if's" - just as everyone is with Zimmerman... yes he probably shouldn't have followed, but we don't know what happened between the time he made that bad decision and when the gun was fired. The only people that know anything are police and the district attorney - their lack of action screams "not enough evidence", so everyone screaming for an arrest is only doing so on what the media claims is a "simple case" when it's far from simple. Whether you agree or disagree with the laws in Florida and 15 other states, it is infact the law, and complicates this beyond a basic homicide/manslaughter case.

I know what you meant - there wasn't a need to clarify it; but there's no charges due to a lack of physical evidence to support the charge. Pretty depressing I have to explain that to someone who claims to be versed on this case, but there you go! Also I'll take the NRA comment as you're a bleeding heart liberal, so I won't continue to fuel this fire with you.
    This guy has some of the most logic that I have read in this thread. People are being duped into seeing and thinking what the media wants them to. WE do not know what really happened. Zimmerman and Martin know, but we do not. What we do know is that the police did not think that there was enough evidence. They did take him in for questioning. We do not know if he came up at Martin with gun drawn and confrontational. We do not know if Martin came at him first. We know the outcome of this, but we do not know how they got there. The dispatcher did not tell him to leave the boy alone, they told him that he doesn't have to follow him. There is a difference there.

If it is proven that Zimmerman attacked him, then I want justice too. if it is proven that Martin assaulted Zimmerman and escalated the situation, then I want people to leave Zimmerman alone. I am mostly sickened at how people have tried to turn this into a race war and try to show Martin as a "child." Overall, people need to stop having this blind faith opinions and start looking at facts. I guess I will just have to keep dreaming of a more logical nation.

I see this:

Yes, and? White Hispanic is the actual accurate taxonomic classification. You could also just leave off the Hispanic part, but that would sound a little too vague.

See here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post16319565

He just shifted goal posts later on, in order to keep his argument afloat. The original argument was about what Zimmerman himself was, and why "White Hispanic" was a false label. His mom was just an attempt to start up a semantics argument to take away from the original discussion.

---------- Post added 2012-04-09 at 12:00 AM ----------

I did too.

To expand on this post though, we're talking about a guy who does not post anything in opposition to anyone else without a direct or indirect insult to that person. So him claiming I'm stupid or, really, that I'm wrong in any way carries very little weight.
    The "insults" don't mean that I'm incorrect though. You putting focus on my "mean ol' words" in an attempt to discredit the facts I provide (which proved you wrong, btw) is just you being dishonest. Not to mention you desperately trying to save face. Don't like "mean words" though? Too bad. You better not go outside then.
    Last edited by Booshman; 2012-04-09 at 04:04 AM.

Yes, and? White Hispanic is the actual accurate taxonomic classification. You could also just leave off the Hispanic part, but that would sound a little too vague.

He just shifted goal posts later on, in order to keep his argument afloat. The original argument was about what Zimmerman himself was, and why "White Hispanic" was a false label. His mom was just an attempt to start up a semantics argument to take away from the original discussion.
    I still don't see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The insults don't mean that I'm incorrect though, so putting focus on my "mean ol' words" in an attempt to discredit the facts I provide (that prove you wrong) is just you being dishonest. Not to mention you desperately trying to save face. Don't like mean words though? Too bad. Don't go outside then.
    OK then, how about I just stop you and prove you wrong from the start. You aren't arguing with me.

"Hispanic" doesn't actually mean a race. That's just Western laziness that stuck.
    Now follow that and who were you responding to?

Yah. You can go back to bed now.

What I actually did is ask you to define what race he is. You responded with anger and name calling. And anger and name calling in place of a valid answer does, in fact, make you wrong. Because it isn't an answer. It's just calling me names to deflect attention from the fact that you have no facts whatsoever.
    Last edited by KingHorse; 2012-04-09 at 04:05 AM.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.

---------- Post added 2012-04-09 at 12:00 AM ----------

The insults don't mean that I'm incorrect though, so putting focus on my "mean ol' words" in an attempt to discredit the facts I provide (that prove you wrong) is you being dishonest. Don't like mean words? Too bad. Don't go outside then.
    It's worth pointing out that this "case" is the first time I have EVER heard the term "white-hispanic." And I will repeat that it was only brought up because accusing Hispanics of racism doesn't carry as well as accusing Whites.

I mean, really, what do you call someone with an African American parent and White parent...a "Black-White?" No, they are commonly referred to as "being of mixed race or heritage." However saying "White-Hispanic" makes it easier to point a finger.

The bottom line is that all parties involved probably screwed up somewhere. And picking sides based on what the media is telling you just screams foolishness. Because, you know, it's not like the media has ever been wrong...or been caught lying about or sensationalizing a situation...just to sell papers or bring in viewers.

10+ Year Old Account
    K, enough of the arguing, get back on discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    It's worth pointing out that this "case" is the first time I have EVER heard the term "white-hispanic." And I will repeat that it was only brought up because accusing Hispanics of racism doesn't carry as well as accusing Whites.

I mean, really, what do you call someone with an African American parent and White parent...a "Black-White?" No, they are commonly referred to as "being of mixed race or heritage." However saying "White-Hispanic" makes it easier to point a finger.

The bottom line is that all parties involved probably screwed up somewhere. And picking sides based on what the media is telling you just screams foolishness. Because, you know, it's not like the media has ever been wrong...or been caught lying about or sensationalizing a situation...just to sell papers or bring in viewers.
    "Black-White" isn't exactly comparable to "White-Hispanic" because both black and white are "races", unlike Hispanic which is just a heritage.

---------- Post added 2012-04-09 at 12:31 AM ----------

OK then, how about I just stop you and prove you wrong from the start. You aren't arguing with me.

Now follow that and who were you responding to?

Yah. You can go back to bed now.

What I actually did is ask you to define what race he is. You responded with anger and name calling. And anger and name calling in place of a valid answer does, in fact, make you wrong. Because it isn't an answer. It's just calling me names to deflect attention from the fact that you have no facts whatsoever.
    And mixed in with my "insults" were the facts that you asked for. You just got your feelings hurt over the delivery of them, which is a personal problem.
    Last edited by Booshman; 2012-04-09 at 04:41 AM.

"Black-White" isn't exactly comparable to "White-Hispanic" because both black and white are "races", unlike Hispanic which is just a heritage.
    I have difficulty with this. If anything, the term 'hispanic' is the only one of those with any thread of relevance in describing the characteristics of a person as it gives me historical, cultural, and physical information to work with. There's no 'black' or 'white' on the map. Africans aren't all the same. They don't speak, act, or look the same. The same goes for Europe. And the same goes for those native tribes assimilated under one breed of european that became what we call hispanic.

"Race" has no meaning in relation to the human species. We don't have races in a technical sense. There is no such thing. We have common characteristics we inherit from our ethnicity. Our heritage.

The term "white-hispanic" is amazing to me in that it manages to be misleading, redundant, and complete nonsense all at once.

I see this:

How is hispanic non white...

10+ Year Old Account
    And mixed in with my "insults" were the facts that you asked for. You just got your feelings hurt over the delivery of them, which is a personal problem.
    I'm 36 and this is the internet: you couldn't hurt my feelings with power tools, much less mean words. I'm just pointing out how horrible your argument is with your own words, as below:

The facts you provided contradicted your insulting argument. You say on the one hand that "hispanic" is a term that only shows ignorance and laziness...and in the next breath call Zimmerman Hispanic. According to your facts, you are lazy and ignorant. And you repeat it over and over.

I have no problem with occasional ignorance, I admit it when I recognize it. But I strive to fill in those holes with factual knowledge. And I've asked you repeatedly, if "Hispanic" is ignorant and wrong, what is right? I'd like to be right. But your only answer is to circle back around and call him Hispanic again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    How is hispanic non white...
    I have many Mexican (and other nationalities that are considered Hispanic) friends at work. For the most part, if you get their nationality wrong, they'll correct you with a serious face. Not angry, just pointing out that it isn't a joke. But if you call them white, you're pretty much saying "Hey, I haven't been stabbed in the face recently, could you help me out with that?"

User infracted: Lay off the arguing
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-04-09 at 12:25 PM.

I have many Mexican (and other nationalities that are considered Hispanic) friends at work. For the most part, if you get their nationality wrong, they'll correct you with a serious face. Not angry, just pointing out that it isn't a joke. But if you call them white, you're pretty much saying "Hey, I haven't been stabbed in the face recently, could you help me out with that?"

User infracted: Lay off the arguing
    Well that probably has something to do with how the US segregates people into different categories - If you called a spaniard or portoguese hispanic they would probably also stab you in the face...

Quote Originally Posted by braeldiil View Post
    It might not be murder, and under Florida law it might not even be manslaughter. But that doesn't change the central fact that Zimmerman killed a presumably innocent kid.
    Let me fix that for you.

Unless Zimmerman breaks down and says he killed this person out of hate for his kind, no-one will ever know what, if anything he did that night. Please, don't bring up the skittles and iced tea crap either.

It comes down to the fact that a.) without clearer definition of the wording used in the law, b.) based on what the only survivor says and c.) the law itself without clearer wording, Zimmerman is a free man. He defended himself from what he thought (see: told police) was a imminent danger posed to himself.

He didn't break the law, or defy "police direction" from not listening to the police dispatcher. They are not law enforcement. They cannot arrest, detain, give orders, etc. They are (like someone else put it) secretaries, hell where I live they barely make above minimum wage.

---------- Post added 2012-04-09 at 09:15 AM ----------

So, just so I know (being honest), anyone who has latino descent was simply called a "mexican" is that bad or good? I wouldn't call them white since they are clearly not white.

I find it funny how they must hate white people to the point they take extreme offensive to being called white though.