The best way to learn to play is reading and watching other people play, streams or ingame. You need to understand the basic of the game first: phases of the game (early, mid, late game) memorize the map and the jungle, know the most common path ways between the lanes, then you can move to something more advanced like items and hero picks. The best advice i can give to you is Dont die.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a pretty new player myself, my best tip would be to play the game and try to play as many heroes as you can/want.
    Knowing the various heroes abilities is crucial to not dying :P Like roughly how far can a Witch Doctor cast his paralyzing cask or where is it likely that a pudge will be hooking you.
    It requires a lot of games and no matter how much help you get, you won't get the feel for it until you've either tried it yourself or died a 100 times to it :P

Deleted
    The best way to learn the game is to keep playing it, simple as that really.

In time you will learn the heroes and items and so on.

Although I will admit, probably the single best way to improve your ability is to learn positioning and map awareness.

Ie you shouldn't need your teammates calling missing to realize there's danger abound, and you should be positioned such that even if you don't realize the danger fast enough you should be able to evade it.

...Admittedly, that's still not easy to accomplish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    ...Admittedly, that's still not easy to accomplish.
    #2 cause of death in pro games, right behind fuckin' with Roshan.

One of the more common things I hear in progames has to be "<Player> caught out of position", often shortly after hearing "<Player> farming on the wrong side of the river"

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so I just played a game. It went for 1 hour, 14 minutes and 57 seconds. Our team, played so damn horribly, we deserved to lose. I think we lost a rax at around the ~ 25-30 mark. Yet the enemy team decided to dick around and not push to end. And a good 40 minutes longer we win the game. How fucking embarrassing. The match ID is 549085780 if you care to check it out. I was Silencer. I played atrocious and it got to a point where i just didn't give a fuck anymore. Suddenly, we could actually defend somehow, so I decided to keep trying and we ended up winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see that happen a decent amount. Big throws in pubs are frustrating games.

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    I see that happen a decent amount. Big throws in pubs are frustrating games.
    Shit i had big throw on my side last night.

I was juggernaut, me and lion support killed our lane oppenents 8 times in 10 minutes, eventually it was 32-12 and we cleared all the mid towers. So we kill their carry naix and we call roshan, we go down there start working on him, we are lvl 15 so its taking some time. Our slark decides to run all the way top and farm their creep, our second support decides to walk all the way back to base when hes full hp/mana. The enemy team just drops into the pit to 3v4 us when roshan has 15% hp.

The whole time our lion was asking where the hell they are going, stay and help roshan. No answer, check their steam, russians of course. We manage to lose because me and sven they killed in the pit both had long spree, they got nearly 2000 gold just from killing us both, they killed roshan, got the agies and keept it on the ground for naix to respawn. Slark went in the pit 30 second after naix picks up the ageis, god knows why and got murdered 5v1.

This is typically how pubs turn out.

Some of the most frustrating shit is when you do well in mid, and even def bot when Pudge tries to make up for it by ganking... And then finding your team's not really all that interested in responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    russians of course.
    Pubs in a nutshell.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterik View Post
    The best way to learn to play is reading and watching other people play, streams or ingame. You need to understand the basic of the game first: phases of the game (early, mid, late game) memorize the map and the jungle, know the most common path ways between the lanes, then you can move to something more advanced like items and hero picks. The best advice i can give to you is Dont die.
    Well, I'm not really new to the moba genre so to speak. I'd like to think I at least know the basics, I guess. I did however encounter some strange bug a few times by now...

Was going to buy a tp scroll and then it just.. Well, bugged. Couldn't buy it and it didn't help to reconnect. Had to restart dota. It also changed my cursor to be showing the icon of the tp scroll somehow. Annoying as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mythi View Post
    It also changed my cursor to be showing the icon of the tp scroll somehow. Annoying as hell.
    Common issue on ATI cards. Put your system into a sleep state and wake it up instantly. Solves the issue every time without restarting dota and windows.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcereria View Post
    Common issue on ATI cards. Put your system into a sleep state and wake it up instantly. Solves the issue every time without restarting dota and windows.
    I've got geforce, not ATI. :/

Putting my system into sleep takes way more time than just restarting the game.

I've got geforce, not ATI. :/

Putting my system into sleep takes way more time than just restarting the game.
    Try switching users.

Also on ATI cards its impossible to remove the glitch with just game restart, on top of that you do have to disconnect from game instead.

Was going to buy a tp scroll and then it just.. Well, bugged. Couldn't buy it and it didn't help to reconnect. Had to restart dota. It also changed my cursor to be showing the icon of the tp scroll somehow. Annoying as hell.
    I had that happen once with Hand of Midas, never happened again after a restart though.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've had it happen as well. Tried to buy arcane boots, but I just got the icon. A big blue boot on my screen and I couldn't make it disappear unless I tried to buy another item. Finished the game with 3 GG branches and brown boots

Deleted
    Arteezy shows once again how little some professional players' performance in pubs have to do with how they really play. He had a bet to go from 6.2k to 6.6k in two days. He made it with like a 90% win rate because he actually tried to win and had no problems carrying his team.

Must be nice to have real players on your team so you actually can make a difference =p