Deleted
    Yeah it turned out that I just needed to plug in the monitor to the gpu, not the motherboard.. Rookie mistake!!
    That was the only problem in my first build so i'm happy! Now I'm just waiting for my sleeving order to come in so I can get to work making everything look pretty =)

I just upgraded to a 27" AOC because my old 23" Hanspree was dying. I'm really liking the bigger size, and the picture is really good but the color might need some adjusting, or maybe my eyes just need to get use to it.

I also use to use an avg to dvi adapter so with the new monitor I picked up a dvi-d cable for dvi to hdmi. The hdmi spot is taken up by my tv.

I thought the program to adjust all the settings was pretty cool. The buttons were kind of annoying to try and navigate through all the options, but the program makes it a lot easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    So i just got the H60 back from RMA. "It works just fine". Yeah, i'm sure.

This is just from 4 minutes (blend i might add, not even fft's), running 2x NF-F12's.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-11-30 at 02:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's plausible with a 4670K @ 4.2, the chip itself runs quite hot.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

On-die VRMs.

The readings are correct, the temperatures seem in line with an H60 and a de-lidded chip.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know how Haswell runs hotter and the heattransfer of the chip is bad, even with delidding it. The H60 doesn't really feel warm, i'm now thinking no matter what cooler i put on it, the temperature will remain high because it gets bottlenecked at the IHS.

But i could be wrong. Would it improve if i switched to a proper aircooler?

Not bottlenecked, and no you would not.

My NH-D14 doesn't even feel mildly warm when my chip runs at 96+ degrees in AVX2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I suspected as much. I have the multithread optimisation feature enabled. Meaning at 4x100% load the multiplier is 3.8ghz, but it still remains the adaptive voltage at idle etc. It ran at 1.120V, giving 70deg. Proceeded with the powersave feature, which offsets the voltage by -150mv of the stock profile. Bam, 62 deg. Dat voltage.

Btw, i've not been able to find this. Is there a way to set a 4200 max multiplier, but maintain the adaptive voltage? If I manually set a multiplier it just autosets a fixed voltage and it no longer drops if it goes to 800mhz (idle). This is my main reason for not overclocking it, yet.

And by bottlenecked i meant; the temperature is 'trapped' in the chip because it cannot dissipate the heat fast enough via the IHS. Basicly a high thermal bottleneck/resistance.

Also, 96+ deg? What OC are you running?
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-11-30 at 01:29 PM.

4400 MHz across all cores, Noctua NH-D14 w/ 2x NF-F12, not delidded, Fractal Design Define R3 with all sound dampeners still in place.
    It's rock-stable, despite the temperatures. Will delid when I get around to ordering the compound. 1.23-1.26 vCore, can't remember. Fixed voltages.

10+ Year Old Account
    You said 96+ deg during AVX2, what programm were you using?

OCCTPC and Prime95

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, i see. Even at stockspeed that test goes to 76-80deg here.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Yeah, i see. Even at stockspeed that test goes to 76-80deg here.
    Have you tried adding some washers to the backplate? I think it was Glo on this forum who did it and gained a massive temp drop.

Just got me a aftermarket gpu cooler as a replacement for my stock 6950 cooler, the difference is unreal. 10-15c less while idle, about 20c~ less while under load and the thing is virtually silent compared to the stock cooler.

Good purchase, would spend money again.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    Just got me a aftermarket gpu cooler as a replacement for my stock 6950 cooler, the difference is unreal. 10-15c less while idle, about 20c~ less while under load and the thing is virtually silent compared to the stock cooler.

Good purchase, would spend money again.
    That's because any standard (ASUS, reference, MSI, whatever) are absolutely terrible in comparison. You should not be surprised. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Have you tried adding some washers to the backplate? I think it was Glo on this forum who did it and gained a massive temp drop.
    Hm, as in an equal amount or an offset. I've noticed that the spread is always somewhat uneven.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    That's because any standard (ASUS, reference, MSI, whatever) are absolutely terrible in comparison. You should not be surprised. :P
    Tis true, though I didn't expect such a big change.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    Tis true, though I didn't expect such a big change.
    Have there been any conclusive reviews/benches comparing Gelid/Arctic coolers to DCII/Windforce coolers?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Which arctic? Hybrid or Accelero? They don't really need to check the Hybrid, since it ought to be 1.5-2x as effective (CPU coolers generally are).