The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nah. It was with only one. It booted the windows 7 one no problem though. Bloody weird
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    They're plugged into the case USB 3.0 ports for now.

This is lovely, I download and extract the updated BIOS files from the ASUS downloads and support section on their website and follow the instructions in my MB manual to a t.

"That is not a correct BIOS!" or something to that effect.

Why does shit never work properly for me? -.- Let me guess, this system is going to be unstable for its first 2 years for no apparent reason.
    Your a new adapter?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a what? You mean adopter? :P

I've never been one to buy brand new technology, but I just felt now was as right a time as any. I wanted to reward myself for, what I believe is, a job well done.

Come home, hit the power button, was reminded I put the computer to sleep mode. Came back on in like 2 seconds, was lovely. Maybe I'll use this tool? Or is sleep bad for SSDs, tell me it isn't bad tell me it isn't bad.

I seem to recall Windows 7 Hibernate was though.
    "A flower.

The issue with Windows 7 hibernate (and I virtually have no idea whether this has changed for Windows >8) was that you had a *RAM sized* chunk of your SSD occupied for the hibernation file, which was essentially zero-filled. When going into hibernation, your RAM was dumped into this hibernation file, causing *up to amount of RAM* in writes and then when it was over, zero-fill writes again.
    I guess.

Sleep mode, however, is not the same as Hibernate. Sleep mode, you place the system (basically enough to power the RAM) in a low-low power state, keeping the memory without dumping it onto the SSD.

In other words, sleep is not bad. I use it whenever I have no need for the computer to be on while I'm doing something else. Grocery store, long shower et c when I don't need chat programs or downloads active, dump it into sleep mode.
    I would say cooking, but we can't have cooking without music, can we?

EDIT: I usually sleep with it in sleep mode, but I really should turn it off for a bit, every now and then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds good to me! *stretches fingers* Now... to abuse that sleep function from now onwards! Mwahahahaha
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    The issue with Windows 7 hibernate (and I virtually have no idea whether this has changed for Windows >8) was that you had a *RAM sized* chunk of your SSD occupied for the hibernation file, which was essentially zero-filled. When going into hibernation, your RAM was dumped into this hibernation file, causing *up to amount of RAM* in writes and then when it was over, zero-fill writes again.
    I guess.

Sleep mode, however, is not the same as Hibernate. Sleep mode, you place the system (basically enough to power the RAM) in a low-low power state, keeping the memory without dumping it onto the SSD.

In other words, sleep is not bad. I use it whenever I have no need for the computer to be on while I'm doing something else. Grocery store, long shower et c when I don't need chat programs or downloads active, dump it into sleep mode.
    I would say cooking, but we can't have cooking without music, can we?

EDIT: I usually sleep with it in sleep mode, but I really should turn it off for a bit, every now and then.
    I have heard that if you keep turning your computer on and off it is worse than just leave it running?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I have heard that if you keep turning your computer on and off it is worse than just leave it running?
    Keep being a keyword. Having it running reduces longevity more than having it off, for obvious reasons.
    But yes, switch-ons are bad as well.

Deleted
    I guess it depends. If you are going to power it up/off 5 times a day is worse than having it on a power saving mode. But if you power it up once a day like i do in the afternoon after work and shut it down just before night sleep, then that to me seems best.

15+ Year Old Account
    So the results are in!

The r9 285 does seem to be a good improve to the 280. Really good at tessellation. Still not better than the 280x though. I would love to see what the 285x can do, this seems to run much cooler and quieter than the 280x though.

It says that r9 285 is a 2% bonus towards to 280. I wonder if 285x will gain the same results. Though it does give you new tech, better for crossfire.

I bought that 280x from NCIX, though they still have not shipped it yet, how long does it take them to ship something?,
    Last edited by apepi; 2014-09-03 at 10:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough, just last time I spoke to him about it, he seemed, er, I don't know, a little burnt out on the high end stuff? I think he was annoyed with how he got treated by ASUS for his Rampage Extreme being "no longer supported" and he liked going Devil's Canyon, it seems.
    well, not annoyed with asus so much about lack of support, they tend to make motherboard drivers for a while, i've decided that they just don't make a good product, nobody is going to argue that the RoG line isn't high quality, but they cram everything under the sun into a motherboard, tons of stuff you wont ever use, in 3 generations of rog baords i've used bluetooth once and the extra rog features like link and the oc key never, so you end up paying more for a board that performs worse and for extras you wont ever need, only so they can have a flagship board with a bigger feature list, MSI and gigabyte are guilty of this too

my current build i wanted to take a different approach, instead of making another monster that can handle anything, i wanted to make something that handles gaming and normal use specifically, if you think of it like a weapon system, HEDT is like a B-52 bomber, it carries lots of dumb bombs and can obliterate half a city in the process of taking out a single building, what im going for it more like a modern cruise missile that uses precision to hit its target and only its target

so my plan is to trim the fat, build a specialized system that is focused on performance rather than raw power, so this is what im using as a new priority list:

clean (no extra features i don't need and only the ones i do need)
    speed (high overclock capable, currently running at 4.9Ghz)
    quiet (sticking with air cooling for now but planning on going back to custom water)

the idea is that even though DC has such a high IPC rate, wasted cycles are still wasted, instead of using them on irrelevant crap like bluetooth and onboard sound, i went with a rather limited but high quality board and disabled any extra features i don't need

the end result is that my current build is too fast -_-, the network stack loads faster than my firewall can respond to its arp request and so it sits there not connected to anything for about 20 seconds after booting unless i manually ping the gateway

this formula of cut the fat leave only what you need works so well that i wouldn't mind something like a rampage v pure, this hypothetical board would have all the quality of the rampage extreme boards but none of the extra crap, no onboard sound, no extra sata ports, bluetooth, extra NICs, no wifi, esata, raid controllers, epu or anything not needed to turn the thing on, this would continue into the software, i'd expect a board to only include the chipset and NIC driver, and nothing else

Irrelevant, but do you think water can be done at the same level of quietness as air? Even quieter?
    Currently have a NH-D14 and my case-fans are NF-F12s running in quiet mode and/or 5v depending in an FD Define R3, the GTX 680s stock cooler, hard drives et c.
    Was planning on, if I can make it quiet enough, to have custom loop with dual radiators in a different sound dampened case (which actually supports rads) with NF-F12s and NF-F14s running at minimum without mechanical drives.
    Basically, I have no idea what to expect, but currently the loudest parts are my hard drives, even during gaming, but I also wanna push the clocks further.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, i have enough sound dampening in the RV05 that the only time it makes noise is when the 690s spin up when playing games, with the bottom mounting i can go with a 360 rad either in 3x120 or 2x180, but its buried deep enough in the case that i doubt it would make much noise, especially if i kept the AP181s or went with noctuas or bequiet fans on a 3x120, dual 180's is probably the way to go though, the extra surface area over a 3x120 is equivalent to more than another 140mm rad (147x147 to be exact), and it would generate no more noise than it does currently, which is pretty much none aside from the GPUs, which would get thrown onto the waterloop making the system quieter under load as well

so i do think it could be done quieter, but you need the right case, vertical mount is the way to go

So you are saying water probably is quieter? I am confused! ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    So you are saying water probably is quieter? I am confused! ^^
    with a dual 180 rad, i keep the same current mostly quiet fans, but add a massive rad that i can waterloop the GPUs through, i could probably keep the CPU on air, but i see no reason to other that to stand out with a dual cooling system

so it would keep the same near dead silence, but because the gpus will be watercooled, their fans will no longer exist, and it will be just the 2 180mm fans and the 120 case fan

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget the pumps... but I imagine some nice ones are really quiet...
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget the pumps... but I imagine some nice ones are really quiet...
    i wonder if i could rig up a basic turbine powered by air passing through the 120mm case fan.....

......they make quiet pumps, and you can always make them quieter

Yeah, it'd mostly be the pump I would be worried about, and worried whether they'd be able to be quieter than my current rig (sans mech drives) even while pushing through three blocks and a 280 rad and a 360 rad.

10+ Year Old Account
    tetris what case are you using?

Define R3 atm. Will be H440.

Watercooling is generally going to be quieter because of consistent noise. If I'm idle fans run at 800 RPM, if I'm running prime95 fans run at 800 RPM, etc. All while staying well within reasonable temps.

The pump is audible mostly because I don't keep my sidepanels on. I'm too fond of just the general look of the build to keep the sidepanel on outside of shipping.